Matt DiBenedetto appreciation thread

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Clutch, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner

Tears are flowing.

:rolleyes:

2. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

Savage. :cool:

3. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

It's been a whole week. ;)

JohnHill and aunty dive like this.
  4. 10-4

10-4 Crew Chief

I had to get to work and missed it. He must have wrecked I see DNF.

5. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

He ran out of talent on the last lap.

I switched to women’s golf after he did that. I don’t know if he cried or not.

JohnHill and FLRacingFan like this.
  6. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

He over cooked the last turn on the last lap while running second and ended up in the sand trap. Cendric on new tires was probably going to pass him or darn close. Bell was in first and had the lead comfortably. It was a race for second. Nascar ran down at least one lap probably two if they would have hustled and turned it into a two lap shoot out instead of four or five laps left. :mad:

10-4 likes this.
  7. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I wouldn't say just a check to Hendrick. DEI was a good organization for the most part from 2003-2008, RCR was always solid with Harvick (Bowyer, Burton, etc) from 2003-2013, as well as Gibbs until 2008.

I realize Hendrick was the main powerhouse with Jimmie & Jeff. But Chevy had other good drivers with other organizations as well for many of those 13 years.

2 Sweet likes this.
  8. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

Jeff Gordon spun in turn 1 at Watkins Glen while leading with 2 laps to go.

These guys are human & sometimes make mistakes when pushing the limit.

Hate it for Matt but its a learning experience, he’ll move on.

9. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

Certainly, but the point remains....I don't think Chevy operates in the same way Ford and Toyota do in terms of support, and it is biting them.

AuzGrams likes this.
  10. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Drivers Edge Development was a step in the right direction for Chevy. However I'm not sure JHN, Gragson, Sheldon Creed or Zane Smith are elite level drivers that Chevy needs. I kinda like Sam Mayer but he's still very young.

11. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

I guess when you say "win the battle on the race track" you refer to winning races. Championships used to be the mark of winning.

12. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

I’ll pass that on to Mark Martin.

dirtfan and Mike Crayne like this.
  13. Blaze

Blaze Midnight Rider

Nah, he won the 1990 Winston Cup Championship. Just ask @AndyMarquisLive

Larsonfan1995 likes this.
  14. superchuck500

superchuck500 Team Owner

So Matt will go to the 21. Given that the 21 is sort of the Penske equivalent to the 95 in the JGR tree, it seems like a lateral move and probably a pretty good landing spot for Matt, all things considered.

ChexOrWrex, 10-4 and Blaze like this.
  15. hidesert cowboy

hidesert cowboy Team Owner

It’s more than that the 21 car is essentially a Penske car.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  16. superchuck500

superchuck500 Team Owner

Can you explain how it's different? I'm just curious. Is it because the 95's association with JGR isn't a direct subsidiary and really just connected in how TRD runs their manufacturer operation - whereas WBR is in full partnership with Penske directly?

17. TexasRaceLady

TexasRaceLady Plank Owner Contributor

18. The Nature Boy

The Nature Boy Stylin and Profilin

The real question is whether or not Menards is sticking around.

19. Hawaii808

Hawaii808 Team Owner

Talk about falling up! Good for Matt.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  20. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

They are.

LewTheShoe and Blaze like this.
  21. 10-4

10-4 Crew Chief

That's a solid team good for him.

22. superchuck500

superchuck500 Team Owner

Yep

Greg and Charlie Spencer like this.
  23. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

24. DIDIT

DIDIT Old School Fan

I don't know how the 95 team works, but when I visited Penske the 21 car was in the shop just like the 2 and 22. I then went to the Wood Brothers Racing shop and all that was there were crickets.

Greg and Fordracing7 like this.
  25. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Good Deal. He can win with that car with the right people.

Greg likes this.
  26. DIDIT

DIDIT Old School Fan

This seems like a great fit, Matt D and the Wood Brothers!

LewTheShoe likes this.
  27. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

Great news. And the #21 is a good car in spite of Paul Menard's subpar performance in it. This could be a dynamic pairing.

28. DaBiff1618

DaBiff1618 Team Owner

I feel like this might be a one year prove it deal like he did with the 95, but there will be a lot of openings next year I believe. If he runs as well as I think he can he will get a good ride long term. I still think Cindric is in the plans of the 21 long term

LewTheShoe likes this.
  29. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Blaney just finished 9th in the championship in that seat two years ago. Stats weren’t far off from what he did in his first ‘true’ Penske Cup ride last year. It’s a good piece.

Placating the reddit/Twitter mafia is a blessing for us all as well.

30. Speedbowl14

Speedbowl14 Ryan Preece and short tracks

I don't know what I'm happier about...Matt D getting a good ride or the retiring of another "Daddy's Money" driver who has done absolutely nothing in 15 years.

31. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner

Crap. I wanted Jones at Ford, not Matt D. :(

32. Mark

Mark Gasman

Yeah, Menard wasn't great but he was the best of the "Money" Drivers. He could at least take care of his equipment. And he has a Brickyard 400 trophy and 3 Xfinity wins. He was pretty solid his first few years at RCR and made some naysayers eat crow. Your "he has done absolutely nothing" comment is shortsighted and hyperbolic. At least he's better than say Stenhouse, who drives beyond the limitations of his car and wrecks quite often. I am happy for Matt, though. He has showed this season he is a good driver. And it's a class move for Menards to stay on board to support him.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  33. sky

sky Zombie Zoom LLC

wins at Road America and the Brickyard 400 aren't flukes though, very tough places to score W's. Good for Matty D. Tho good spot to land in

34. DaBiff1618

DaBiff1618 Team Owner

I’m not gonna pencil him into the Championship 4 like Reddit is, but a win wouldn’t be out of the question next season.

35. jaqua19

jaqua19 Team Owner

That leaves the question of who is the more talented driver, Blaney or Matty D

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

36. jaqua19

jaqua19 Team Owner

So can this barstool thing happen ?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

37. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses.

Correct on the first try.

38. Fordracing7

Fordracing7 2018 Pick em Champion

Lol lateral move? No way the 21 with Menard behind the wheel who is a very mediocre driver is what 20th in points? The 95 is using older generation JGR cars and Matt has been very impressive. The 21 is a full fledged Penske car....I expect matt in the playoffs next year maybe even winning a race or two.

ahhculdee likes this.
  39. DaBiff1618

DaBiff1618 Team Owner

Blaney. He was a Larson away from a Brickyard 400 win

jaqua19 likes this.
  40. DRS3

DRS3 Team Owner

Matt wants win #1 and the Wood bros want #100... I think they'll both get what they want.