Matt Kenseth

He hired Kenseth to get an evaluation of his team, thats part of the process of getting back to the Championship, wasnt saying this year.

Hard to rebuild a team and Roush has always had a hard time attracting sponsors. I remember a lot of races when Kurt Busch, Edwards, and others being unsponsored for sometime. Heck, Kurt didn't have a sponsor for like the first four or five races in 2004, the year he won the championship.

Advocare has cut back a lot as well, but they did ink a "multi-year" deal last year. Advocare sponsored Bayne's entire '15 season and has started chomping off the bit every season.

Hard to rebuild a team and Roush has always had a hard time attracting sponsors. I remember a lot of races when Kurt Busch, Edwards, and others being unsponsored for sometime. Heck, Kurt didn't have a sponsor for like the first four or five races in 2004, the year he won the championship.

Advocare has cut back a lot as well, but they did ink a "multi-year" deal last year. Advocare sponsored Bayne's entire '15 season and has started chomping off the bit every season.
Nothing in this sport is easy, but Jack has the money to run a car full time and he has the resources to have it run upfront.

He hired Kenseth to get an evaluation of his team, thats part of the process of getting back to the Championship, wasnt saying this year.
I can’t help but agree I think this move is designed to take stock of what they have and where they are lacking in whether is personnel, drivers, set ups, car building or something they arnt doing at the shop. This is a good step if they are indeed rebuilding Roush Racing, Matt will find it.

Nothing in this sport is easy, but Jack has the money to run a car full time and he has the resources to have it run upfront.
Yes, Jack could sponsor Kenseth from one of his other businesses just like Penski and HMS do.
But is it worth it? He still has to share everything racing brings in with Fenway. I think Jack would be better off in other racing where he can still call the shots.

Yes, Jack could sponsor Kenseth from one of his other businesses just like Penski and HMS do.
But is it worth it? He still has to share everything racing brings in with Fenway. I think Jack would be better off in other racing where he can still call the shots.
Jack wants to win. Thats why he's doing it.

I grew up watching Kenseth. I'm very happy to see him coming back.

I'm a bit surprised he's 45. I lost track and thought he was slightly younger. That said, he's not your typical 45 year old. He's a fantastic athlete and takes great care of himself.

Mark Martin won 5 races and finished 2nd in points as a 50 year old. I expect Kenseth to be mighty competitive, especially considering he took a mild vacation from racing. Mark was coming off a part time season himself before nearly winning that championship in 2009.

Do we know what tracks Matt is running at, or will they do that list tomorrow? I thought I read no restrictor plate races and his first race is at Kansas at May 12. Hopefully Roush will be a threat again at Michigan, I remember they used to dominate there with Mark in the 6, Matt in 17 and Carl in the 99. Kurt in the 97 raced well there too.

Wow- I'm shocked!

Will be interesting to see whether Roush's bigger problem is bad drivers or bad equipment.

Kenseth was still competitive in several races last year.

I am thrilled upon hearing about Kenseth's return. This is a gift, a really nice gift considering how his situation transpired last season. He will make an immediate impact on the team and on the grid, that is for sure.

Matt's Sponsor
upload_2018-4-25_9-21-34.png

Takeaways from the Roush presser:

Kenseth in the 6 car at Kansas. Wyndham Rewards is his sponsor.

Kenseth will run the All-Star Race.

Undetermined amount of races for Kenseth/Bayne, who will be splitting time.

Doesn’t sound like Jack has given up on Bayne just yet.

Sounds like Matt will be with Roush beyond this year. May even return to fulltime as Jack mentioned running for championships. Wow.

this is not a knock on Kenseth, just an observation, since I don't know.
Was Wyndham already a sponsor on the 6 car or did Kenseth bring them.
just saying if you have a sponsor you can run cup...

this is not a knock on Kenseth, just an observation, since I don't know.
Was Wyndham already a sponsor on the 6 car or did Kenseth bring them.
just saying if you have a sponsor you can run cup...

Along with the introduction, Roush Fenway announced a new partnership with Wyndham Hotels as an anchor sponsor for Kenseth in No. 6 car. Wyndham has been aligned with NASCAR for years; Super 8 Motels sponsored Petty Enterprises, and RFR stated that multiple teams were courting Wyndham as a primary sponsor.

The alignment with team co-owner Fenway and the Boston Red Sox led to Wyndham joining Roush Fenway Racing.

https://www.frontstretch.com/2018/0...ponsorship-for-return-to-roush-fenway-racing/

Part of me thinks it could just be the penny pincher boss agreeing to put in a bigger name that a sponsor wanted/asked for in the car.

But if I were Bayne - who's not had terribly much discussion in this thread - I better be going balls to the wall in all my remaining dates. If he's dropped by Roush in 2019, he's in JTG Daugherty/Leavine/Front Row territory at best.

I think he can help Roush up their program. We'll have to wait and see. I'm a Matt fan and glad he is back. I suspect he will be like Martin and perform well during his non-semi-retirement.

I think he can help Roush up their program. We'll have to wait and see. I'm a Matt fan and glad he is back. I suspect he will be like Martin and perform well during his non-semi-retirement.
Roush said that out of 50 drivers he had dealt with, Matt and Mark Martin were the two drivers who could improve a car the best including hardware changes. Those weren't his exact words but close. Apparently Mark Martin is involved also, I heard some of that on one of Mark's podcast that he said he is still involved with Roush Fenway.

Hope this tuns into a full-time ride next year. I think it's a done deal if he wins and Bayne doesn't show any improvement.

Ya know, at this point in his career, the opportunity to run part time, possibly picking the races he wants, might look attractive. If it transitions to a managerial role, maybe that's the type of new challenge he's up for. No doubt it will be interesting, both from the inside and from the grandstands.

I think Matt wants to be full time for a few more years .. probably will be full time next year with Bayne more than likely getting ousted at seasons end. Prior to walking away from Nascar for a bit Matt was clearly stating that he wanted to race for Championships .. can't imagine that changed. It just happened that the Roush ride was the best way back to that goal after failing to snag a solid ride this past offseason . I hope they can work something out that leads to Bayne's exit ... This season.

I think Matt wants to be full time for a few more years .. probably will be full time next year with Bayne more than likely getting ousted at seasons end. Prior to walking away from Nascar for a bit Matt was clearly stating that he wanted to race for Championships .. can't imagine that changed. It just happened that the Roush ride was the best way back to that goal after failing to snag a solid ride this past offseason . I hope they can work something out that leads to Bayne's exit ... This season.

It's too bad they can't do a Hendrick, never know, they might figure something out. 20/20 hindsight, Jack should have called sooner IMO. Sadly I think Jack is the biggest problem they have. The other teams for Ford have started from scratch with the car.

Good to see him back, I am actually excited for a Kansas race

Reactions: sdj
I'm pretty sure @Spotter22 started the other discussion, but it's missing from his profile.

Same old Matt. "...go around in circles as fast as you can. Some things never change."

The original thread became such a crap-throwing contest I had to pull it. I just couldn't clean the other one up. I still
have it in cold storage. I'll make another attempt to pull some of the decent comments out.
Let's see how long this one lasts before the anti Gibbs/Toyota and pro Gibbs/Toyota factions start slinging
harsh words.
I hope it doesn't come to that.

Yeah I looked back thru three pages and didn't find it. no biggie. I just didn't want to start a new one if I missed it. I thought this was pretty postable, lots of wondering how many races he would get to race in.

I’m sure Kenseth can detect how far off certain things are with their program when he gets out on the track but will it be able to help the team really turn anything around?... if I’m a betting man I’d say not. But hopefully he can focus their program towards a couple starting points.

If Kenseth never left then the program might have maintained decent traction even if they slowed down. Enough to not loose their way entirely.

I’m sure Kenseth can detect how far off certain things are with their program when he gets out on the track but will it be able to help the team really turn anything around?... if I’m a betting man I’d say not. But hopefully he can focus their program towards a couple starting points.

If Kenseth never left then the program might have maintained decent traction even if they slowed down. Enough to not loose their way entirely.

Do you really think Kenseth is going to duplicate Trevor Bayne's stats?

Back
Top Bottom