Memo to NASCAR:

klemmabyna

Team Owner
It's about the race.

I know we don't need another thread, but why does qualifying have to be entertaining? ever?

guess i'm just re-irritated by "CHANGE".

once upon a time, the Daytona 500 stood on it's own. i'd like to think it still does, although I deplore restrictor plate races.

start of a new season. The Great American Race. The Super Bowl of NASCAR.

and yet we need a gimmick for qualifying?

sorry. couldn't help myself.

The unlimited felt very bland in my opinion also.

NASACR does feel like every aspect needs to have a gimmick , :bleh:

It's about the race.

I know we don't need another thread, but why does qualifying have to be entertaining? ever?

guess i'm just re-irritated by "CHANGE".

once upon a time, the Daytona 500 stood on it's own. i'd like to think it still does, although I deplore restrictor plate races.

start of a new season. The Great American Race. The Super Bowl of NASCAR.
and yet we need a gimmick for qualifying?

sorry. couldn't help myself.

I'm not for the new format, but if it isn't entertaining, it has no business being televised. My 2 cents.

Dear NASCAR:

If you're going to replace the Qualifying with anything, replace it with heat races. Otherwise, it's just ****** pointless.

Dear NASCAR:

How dare you do anything to try to attract new fans. You should go back to how things were in the 1960s when races were decided by six laps instead of six seconds. You should also pull off the restrictor plates because it's just too dangerous to qualify or race in a pack of cars. I mean, someone wrecking at 240 mph would be less dangerous than someone wrecking at 196 mph according to the infinite wisdom of Racing-Forums.com so we should all trust their judgement. You should also start setting the field for the Daytona 500 with heat races, the way you have been since 1959.

Dear NASCAR:

How dare you do anything to try to attract new fans. You should go back to how things were in the 1960s when races were decided by six laps instead of six seconds. You should also pull off the restrictor plates because it's just too dangerous to qualify or race in a pack of cars. I mean, someone wrecking at 240 mph would be less dangerous than someone wrecking at 196 mph according to the infinite wisdom of Racing-Forums.com so we should all trust their judgement. You should also start setting the field for the Daytona 500 with heat races, the way you have been since 1959.
What speeds would they be running at if they built an engine with a lower displacement and added a bunch of drag to the cars for Talladega and Daytona? I can't imagine it would be much different than what they've been running into turn 1 at Michigan the last couple of years.

What speeds would they be running at if they built an engine with a lower displacement and added a bunch of drag to the cars for Talladega and Daytona? I can't imagine it would be much different than what they've been running into turn 1 at Michigan the last couple of years.
So now NASCAR needs a special engine package for QUALIFYING because the fans have decided they want single car qualifying again?

Good thing NASCAR isn't listening to the purists.

You'll probably get more ears on your suggestions through the following means rather than writing them a memo on racing-forums.com.

To contact NASCAR directly with your suggestions, questions and/or opinions you can use the following information.

Email: [email protected]

Snail Mail:
NASCAR
P.O. Box 2875
Daytona Beach, FL 32120

Telephone: (386) 253-0611

Qualifying was laughable watching everyone just sit there parked until the very last second. If that is what some think is good change then count me out. I'm getting real tired of all those who try to belittle anyone who thinks these new changes are not good. Ever hear the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

The unlimited felt very bland in my opinion also.

But amidst the "blandness" they still managed to destroy the majority of the cars ....................... I cant even remember who won, was it Danica :rolleyes:

The "amish mafia" season premiere was more entertaining than speed week so far

You'll probably get more ears on your suggestions through the following means rather than writing them a memo on racing-forums.com.

To contact NASCAR directly with your suggestions, questions and/or opinions you can use the following information.

Snail Mail:
NASCAR
P.O. Box 2875
Daytona Beach, FL 32120

I for one am going to use that link and let them know how I feel . I sugest that everyone who liked or disliked the weekends events do the same. Bitching about it here without doing anything about it it does no one any good

Dear NASCAR:

I like you Andy but I could not disagree more.

1. The OPs main target was against sundays qualification processs. That is the focus point.

2. With all due respect suggestions of a desire to go back to the 1960s, removal or RPs and going 240 mph, that RF is over the top etc, is an interjection by you. It wasnt suggested in the OP.

3. Racing Forums is not alone with disliking sundays idiocy. Virtually all of the drivers apart from the the first two qualifiers and hired pieces like the Waltrip brothers hated the process.

Some drivers even ridiculed the process and articulated how it has reduced real competition by turning it into something like a circus. Critism with the context being in an era of shut up and smile fines, or even more as an expectation to always praise Nascar relentlessly. To do less is akin to being unpatriotic.

What is even more unique about RFs criticism in regards to sundays qualifications is that even the most adament RF supporters of Nascar expressed total disatisfaction with sundays process.

You could say there is a consensus, there will always be nay sayers or malcontents, that is a part of life and seemingly even more so amomg Nascar fans. But we also have some good fans here imo, in fact some of the best.

I mean they dont go off on Nascar routinely. In fact a few of them try to see Nascars wisdom and they respect the leadership. You could say they try to put their self in Nascars position with applied common sense and respect for the necessities.

But even among those fair minded voices disgust for sundays foolishness could be easily found. A rare event that is a profoundly noteworthy event in itself.

4. Downgrading those concerns and just writing it off as typical ranting is a disservice toward a genuine concern. And witing it off as a bunch of purist disconnected with reality and wanting to take us back to the 60s is a pure distortion.

Just wrong on so many levels.

I'm not for the new format, but if it isn't entertaining, it has no business being televised. My 2 cents.

:) That would pretty much wipe out about 1/2 of the Broadcast Day for every Channel currently on TV.

I know that some members here are on the Fan Council as I am. I suggest you express those concerns through your survey sent this week as I did. I know it might seem like you will not get heard, but I do believe they listen , especially the last page where you can address any concerns you might have.

Carry on !

Qualifying was laughable watching everyone just sit there parked until the very last second. If that is what some think is good change then count me out. I'm getting real tired of all those who try to belittle anyone who thinks these new changes are not good. Ever hear the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

Apparently, some people actually find watching paint dry fascinating........

It just seems that one by one Brian France is changing or getting rid of everything that drew me to NASCAR when I was a kid. Sorry Andy but this sport is a shadow of what it used to be. The drivers have become corporate robots who get fined if they say anything even remotely anti-NASCAR. Rivalries are met with fines if tempers flair even a little. why bother, Brian ain't gonna be happy until this is the new IROC.

Dear NASCAR:

The 60's? Hell, I'd be happy if we went back to the way things were in 2013.

Snail Mail:
NASCAR
P.O. Box 2875
Daytona Beach, FL 32120

Took your advice. stated exactly what I said in the first post. included my name address and telephone number. and received the following reply:

Feedback, Fan ([email protected])
Add to contacts
8:53 AM

To: klemma byna
Show this message...

Sent: Tue 2/17/15 8:53 AM

"First and foremost, we want to thank you for your interest in NASCAR. You can be assured that we take your feedback seriously. Everyone at NASCAR understands that the success of our sport depends on the support of the fans.
We read every e-mail we receive from our fans and respond to as many as possible. Thanks again, and we hope you enjoy the rest of the season."

This email is an auto response message.

Honestly I try not to come here and complain. but Sunday's event, as an old time fan (and damn proud of it), felt like nascar was trying to insult my intelligence.

Took your advice. stated exactly what I said in the first post. included my name address and telephone number. and received the following reply:

Feedback, Fan ([email protected])
Add to contacts
8:53 AM

Show this message...

Sent: Tue 2/17/15 8:53 AM

"First and foremost, we want to thank you for your interest in NASCAR. You can be assured that we take your feedback seriously. Everyone at NASCAR understands that the success of our sport depends on the support of the fans.
We read every e-mail we receive from our fans and respond to as many as possible. Thanks again, and we hope you enjoy the rest of the season."

This email is an auto response message.

Honestly I try not to come here and complain. but Sunday's event, as an old time fan (and damn proud of it), felt like nascar was trying to insult my intelligence.
Glad to read you took the time. I don't care what side of Sunday's issues fans fall on. Letting them know your thoughts is never a bad thing. People are sure to chime in saying NASCAR doesn't listen to its fans. I think they do. They listen to the ones making their thoughts know to them.

I like you Andy but I could not disagree more.

1. The OPs main target was against sundays qualification processs. That is the focus point.

2. With all due respect suggestions of a desire to go back to the 1960s, removal or RPs and going 240 mph, that RF is over the top etc, is an interjection by you. It wasnt suggested in the OP.

3. Racing Forums is not alone with disliking sundays idiocy. Virtually all of the drivers apart from the the first two qualifiers and hired pieces like the Waltrip brothers hated the process.

Some drivers even ridiculed the process and articulated how it has reduced real competition by turning it into something like a circus. Critism with the context being in an era of shut up and smile fines, or even more as an expectation to always praise Nascar relentlessly. To do less is akin to being unpatriotic.

What is even more unique about RFs criticism in regards to sundays qualifications is that even the most adament RF supporters of Nascar expressed total disatisfaction with sundays process.

You could say there is a consensus, there will always be nay sayers or malcontents, that is a part of life and seemingly even more so amomg Nascar fans. But we also have some good fans here imo, in fact some of the best.

I mean they dont go off on Nascar routinely. In fact a few of them try to see Nascars wisdom and they respect the leadership. You could say they try to put their self in Nascars position with applied common sense and respect for the necessities.

But even among those fair minded voices disgust for sundays foolishness could be easily found. A rare event that is a profoundly noteworthy event in itself.

4. Downgrading those concerns and just writing it off as typical ranting is a disservice toward a genuine concern. And witing it off as a bunch of purist disconnected with reality and wanting to take us back to the 60s is a pure distortion.

Just wrong on so many levels.

Regarding what the drivers say, I've said for years that the fans and the drivers want to see very different things on Sunday. I've interviewed drivers who have won by a half-track over the second place driver and they've talked about how much fun they had and how great the racing was and that the fans probably enjoyed it. That's what they want. So, of course they want single car qualifying. How many times do we hear the drivers say Kentucky and Indianapolis are so much fun to race at while we're all at home sleeping in our recliners?

The qualifying format didn't cause that wreck. Reed Sorenson and Clint Bowyer, trying to win the Daytona 500 in a qualifying session for a heat race, caused the wreck.

Regarding what the drivers say, I've said for years that the fans and the drivers want to see very different things on Sunday. I've interviewed drivers who have won by a half-track over the second place driver and they've talked about how much fun they had and how great the racing was and that the fans probably enjoyed it. That's what they want. So, of course they want single car qualifying. How many times do we hear the drivers say Kentucky and Indianapolis are so much fun to race at while we're all at home sleeping in our recliners?

The qualifying format didn't cause that wreck. Reed Sorenson and Clint Bowyer, trying to win the Daytona 500 in a qualifying session for a heat race, caused the wreck.
My thoughts on why the group qualifying is bad @ Daytona have absolutely nothing to do with the wreck that happened. It is the premier race of the season. Qualifying has always been unique for this race in our lifetime. That was lost with the implementation of this format. It was implemented in order to add excitement to qualifying and gain more viewers. Did it do that? The jury is still out on that. Will tuning in to watch cars remain on pit road for much of the session cause more people to want to tune in? Personally, I don't see how. It looked chaotic @ best.

I am one of those fans that loved to see the cars run for the pole position one at a time, racing against the clock or even the ghost car. It was something that was easy to see as a fan how well a driver was doing because it was mano a mano. There's no way to display that sort of thing under the current format.

Overall, my grade is 'EPIC Failure' for the group qualifying format for the Great American Race.

It isnt that complicated. TheQualification process for this race was awful. There is a virtual collective universal consensus.

And are you wiling to go on record as to liking what happened sunday. We can on with other subpoints but the heart of matter is as simple deciding if sundays process was worthwile or not

It isnt that complicated. TheQualification process for this race was awful. There is a virtual collective universal consensus.

And are you wiling to go on record as to liking what happened sunday. We can on with other subpoints but the heart of matter is as simple deciding if sundays process was worthwile or not

You already had me on your side the first time you posted it. :p

Two of the buzzwords NASCAR loves to cram down our throats are "excitement" and "drama". There was nothing exciting or dramatic about what happened on Sunday. Some people may point to the Bowyer-Sorenson scuffle, but these driver conflicts are becoming so commonplace that they're losing their shock value. Granted, the single car quals weren't exactly riveting television either, but they were light years ahead of what we saw Sunday.

They should just run heat races at Day.......oh, wait a minute.

NASCAR's Fan Council thing wanted the format changed... for Daytona. So, here we are.

NASCAR's Fan Council thing wanted the format changed... for Daytona. So, here we are.

Again I think most would have been satisfied with a resumption to what was previously in place
Standard stop watch laps and the twin qualifiers on Thursday.

The uproar about Sunday is very legitimate, not the typical bitchfest you want to tag upon it.

Why would anyone want something that is destructive and a negative. It damages Nascar and even Brian will spell the coffee set his pride aside and do the right thing. This cant stand.

End of the day Brian is responsible for doing what is best. Many times a fan base has a small window of data. So wise leadership doesnt always do what is popular. A simple fact for good CEOs and even good parents.

So if the FC or anyone else makes a stupid request it doesnt have to granted.
Furthermore who is to blame is a secondary rabbit trail. Common sense has to prevail.

I was in the edge of my seat waiting for the drivers sitting at the exit of pit road to get out and hopefully get their 2 laps in .
1311246801_cute_baby_sloth_yawns.gif

Back
Top Bottom