Michael Waltrip

JJ_14

Go Briscoe!
Michael Waltrip is a polarizing figure when it comes to racing. He had a long career at the top level, but only managed to get 4 wins, and they where all after he was past his prime & all of them came @ superspeedways.

That said, Waltrip has a huge fanbase. If you write something bad about Waltrip on YouTube for example, his fanbase will come to his defense.

I thought given the equipment he had, that he was one of the worst drivers ever in Nascar. However, I hadn't looked at his stats. I was wondering about his stats, thinking he may have had around 50-75 top 10's for his career. When I looked up his Wiki I was shocked! 233 top 10's!

That's quite impressive, & it tells me he was far from the worst driver ever in Nascar.

Racing-reference says something like 130+ in Cup and 100 or so in lower series. That 103 is in 70+ starts.

As of the end of the 2019 season he is however the all time leader in crashes for the Cup Series

Anyone that can survive a crash like he did and climb back in a race car is going to get respect from me no matter what his record is. Plus he was respectful to me so why wouldn't I give him the same courtesty.

He wasted the best years of his career driving the 30 and 21 and still almost won a race at Darlington and won the Winston. I think he would have won a few more races if he had better equipment but he wasn’t consistent enough to be a title threat (Best points finish of 12th (1994 and 1995). MW in good equipment probably has a McMurray or Sterling Marlin like career. MW the announcer on the other hand....

Back
Top Bottom