Mike Harmon's car has been stolen

I have to think this meets the dumb crooks standard.
I guess one could chop the car up for parts but based on the limited market selling them off discretely should be almost impossible.

This is why we don't leave our rig unattended on the road, and we disable and padlock everything when left overnight at the track.
Water your horse before you go to the saloon. They're lacking some professional responsibility.

Last edited:
This is why we don't leave our rig unattended on the road, and we disable and padlock everything when left overnight at the track.
Yep. At times I have unloaded my race bike and brought it in the motel room with me. (I deny the part about tucking it into bed and fluffing up extra pillows for it.)

All i'm gonna say is that it takes alot of effort and noise to defeat four 3/8" steel chains through six tires and break through 6 door locks to get in the trailer.
A few years ago Courtney Forces crew got ready to leave the hotel to go to the track in Phoenix and all 4 tires and wheels on their suburban was gone and then one of the crew guys saw a listing for them a few days later on Craig's list and they caught the guy.:D

When possible, we would use crew member's cars to physically block in the transporter.
Problem is, undertow units are easy to get second and third hand. Have seen several people have their cars stolen, even from parking garage, because some criminal bought a legitimate retired tow truck, backs up, swings the undertow, and drives off with the car. For this reason, it's important to always park with drive wheels facing into the parking space (ie, backed in for RWD/forward for FWD).

Even blocking a rig with another car, an undertow can swing in, move that car, then have an accomplice hotwire the truck and drive off. Yes it makes their job more difficult, but when they know there are race rigs coming through, they can have all kinds of things planned out that we wouldn't like.

95% of the time they dont care about what's in the trailer. They just want the truck and trailer itself.

Especially here in Texas - most of the time by the time you wake up, see it missing, and file a report, it's already in Mexico and got across the border scan clean, or they're going to hope the system is slow and doesn't flag the plate as stolen.

Problem is, undertow units are easy to get second and third hand. Have seen several people have their cars stolen, even from parking garage, because some criminal bought a legitimate retired tow truck, backs up, swings the undertow, and drives off with the car. For this reason, it's important to always park with drive wheels facing into the parking space (ie, backed in for RWD/forward for FWD).

Even blocking a rig with another car, an undertow can swing in, move that car, then have an accomplice hotwire the truck and drive off. Yes it makes their job more difficult, but when they know there are race rigs coming through, they can have all kinds of things planned out that we wouldn't like.

95% of the time they dont care about what's in the trailer. They just want the truck and trailer itself.

Especially here in Texas - most of the time by the time you wake up, see it missing, and file a report, it's already in Mexico and got across the border scan clean, or they're going to hope the system is slow and doesn't flag the plate as stolen.

ANYTHING can be stolen given enough time and effort. The goal of theft deterrent is just to either make it more trouble than it's worth, or make it take so long that the chance of catching them in the act increases exponentially. Since race transporters can be a popular target, I would recommend that anybody with one invest in a GPS tracking device. If you can get the police on the trail soon enough, you MIGHT be able to get your stuff back.

I wouldn't doubt it if he had it stolen. He's already been busted for that with Cobb's stuff.

Especially here in Texas -
most of the time by the time you wake up, see it missing, and file a report, it's already in Mexico and got across the border scan clean, or they're going to hope the system is slow and doesn't flag the plate as stolen.
This is a 20 year old truck and trailer, how much could it bring hot? Doesn't seem like something they'd steal just for the rig.

Back
Top Bottom