Millennial's

images-2.jpg

And this here is the truth.

The Baby Boomer generation is easily the worst generation. They created the problems we have now. Social Security and Medicare were created for them and now that they're collecting from it, they want to do away with it. The way they managed their finances has created massive liabilities that they don't have to pay for. Instead, the millennials they complain about are paying for them. The millennials they complain about are paying for their healthcare at a much much much higher cost than they ever paid. The millennials are doing this while working for significant less money than they ever worked for -- because their lifestyle choices created an economic culture that dismantled the backbone of the United States economy. They turned America from an industrial economy to a service economy.

Most importantly, they grew up in the world's greatest economy and have left it in ruins for the rest of us. But, yeah, those lazy millennials.

The Baby Boomer generation is easily the worst generation. They created the problems we have now. Social Security and Medicare were created for them and now that they're collecting from it, they want to do away with it. The way they managed their finances has created massive liabilities that they don't have to pay for. Instead, the millennials they complain about are paying for them. The millennials they complain about are paying for their healthcare at a much much much higher cost than they ever paid. The millennials are doing this while working for significant less money than they ever worked for -- because their lifestyle choices created an economic culture that dismantled the backbone of the United States economy. They turned America from an industrial economy to a service economy.

Most importantly, they grew up in the world's greatest economy and have left it in ruins for the rest of us. But, yeah, those lazy millennials.
My father in law used to constantly ride my ass because we didn't have extra money, and he couldn't understand it since I make pretty decent money. Frankly, it was none of his business, but, he promptly shut up once I showed him my damn car payment is double his house payment and my house payment is 3 times the amount that his was. It blows my mind how clueless they can be.

I like the part in the video about having to pass the torch to the millenials. Yea, cause the current state of our country is just so great.

I read a couple years ago in an economic journal that businesses just don't want to hire millennials.

It's funny, because those same people are the ones on Facebook every day posting stuff like "Millennials are voting for Bernie Sanders because they're too lazy to find jobs and want free stuff".

This is the economy THEY have created for us.

Millennial applies for job ... "We don't like your generation. We'll hire some baby boomer because we like them"

Millennial can't find job ... "You lazy kids, you need to get off your asses, put your smartphones away and get jobs!"

I read a couple years ago in an economic journal that businesses just don't want to hire millennials.

It's funny, because those same people are the ones on Facebook every day posting stuff like "Millennials are voting for Bernie Sanders because they're too lazy to find jobs and want free stuff".

This is the economy THEY have created for us.

Millennial applies for job ... "We don't like your generation. We'll hire some baby boomer because we like them"

Millennial can't find job ... "You lazy kids, you need to get off your asses, put your smartphones away and get jobs!"
My plant is currently in a bad state. Business is slow. Layoffs are coming. That sad part is, if everyone that was 60+ with over 35 years would retire, they woudn't have to lay off. If you can't retire after 35 years of making $27 an hour, you have a problem.

My father in law used to constantly ride my ass because we didn't have extra money, and he couldn't understand it since I make pretty decent money. Frankly, it was none of his business, but, he promptly shut up once I showed him my damn car payment is double his house payment and my house payment is 3 times the amount that his was. It blows my mind how clueless they can be.

I like the part in the video about having to pass the torch to the millenials. Yea, cause the current state of our country is just so great.

My stepdad got on my case over how much I paid for cars. Told me one time that $17,500 was too much for a brand new Pontiac and I needed to find something cheaper. A couple years later, he got on me for paying $5,000 in cash for a Toyota Corolla.

One day, I finally went to the store and grabbed one of those magazines that had all the dealers' sale ads and stuff in them. I sat there and showed him that a 10 year old Ford sedan costs over $12,000 and that a brand new car, most of them start at $23,000. He went into shock.

My dad gets on my case about health insurance all the time. Keeps telling me that I need to quit being lazy and that "Obama Care" has reduced the cost of health insurance. I finally printed a bunch of **** out and mailed it to him, showing him the cheapest health insurance plan I could get was $487/month. He said one night he doesn't know how people my age can live in this country.

My stepdad got on my case over how much I paid for cars. Told me one time that $17,500 was too much for a brand new Pontiac and I needed to find something cheaper. A couple years later, he got on me for paying $5,000 in cash for a Toyota Corolla.

One day, I finally went to the store and grabbed one of those magazines that had all the dealers' sale ads and stuff in them. I sat there and showed him that a 10 year old Ford sedan costs over $12,000 and that a brand new car, most of them start at $23,000. He went into shock.

My dad gets on my case about health insurance all the time. Keeps telling me that I need to quit being lazy and that "Obama Care" has reduced the cost of health insurance. I finally printed a bunch of sh!t out and mailed it to him, showing him the cheapest health insurance plan I could get was $487/month. He said one night he doesn't know how people my age can live in this country.
But damn those lazy kids for still living at home at 25!

My dad gets on my case about health insurance all the time. Keeps telling me that I need to quit being lazy and that "Obama Care" has reduced the cost of health insurance. I finally printed a bunch of sh!t out and mailed it to him, showing him the cheapest health insurance plan I could get was $487/month. He said one night he doesn't know how people my age can live in this country.
Some of the Boomers get it. My aunt does, for sure.

So what's the problem? :idunno:

If my parents had not set up a plan for my tuition when I was 5, I would be well over $60k in debt for college. As it stands now, I'm about $21k, and that's childs play compared to some of my friends.

There are no jobs to be had out here if you don't have a degree. I put out 45 applications for summer jobs and just happened to land the one I did because I walked into the store one day and the owner was hiring on the spot.

Even if you do have a degree, it's still slim pickings unless you are a Pre Professional major (nursing, Social Work, Education etc) and even then the jobs are low paying. Teachers in my area start at $30k a year.... that's less than a thousand a week. Only people with 4 year degrees making money are nurses.

So then you have to go to graduate school. Well that will easily put you over the $100k mark in loans depending on the length of your program.

Great! You got your masters degree, you found a job that pays a decent salary. Only that job doesn't have benefits, so now you are forced to pay out of pocket for medical and dental insurance.

Move out your parents house? lol pls. An apartment in a hotspot area (places where millenials are moving because jobs are plentiful) is going to run you $1500 to $3000 a month in rent. We haven't factored in utility bills, car payment, renters insurance, student loan repayment, and living expenses. Oh, and buying a house is out of the question because chances are you don't have a sufficient credit history and working history.

Millennials are also one of the most stressed generations with a suicide rate that hasn't been since the Great Depression.

If my parents had not set up a plan for my tuition when I was 5, I would be well over $60k in debt for college. As it stands now, I'm about $21k, and that's childs play compared to some of my friends.

There are no jobs to be had out here if you don't have a degree. I put out 45 applications for summer jobs and just happened to land the one I did because I walked into the store one day and the owner was hiring on the spot.

Even if you do have a degree, it's still slim pickings unless you are a Pre Professional major (nursing, Social Work, Education etc) and even then the jobs are low paying. Teachers in my area start at $30k a year.... that's less than a thousand a week. Only people with 4 year degrees making money are nurses.

So then you have to go to graduate school. Well that will easily put you over the $100k mark in loans depending on the length of your program.

Great! You got your masters degree, you found a job that pays a decent salary. Only that job doesn't have benefits, so now you are forced to pay out of pocket for medical and dental insurance.

Move out your parents house? lol pls. An apartment in a hotspot area (places where millenials are moving because jobs are plentiful) is going to run you $1500 to $3000 a month in rent. We haven't factored in utility bills, car payment, renters insurance, student loan repayment, and living expenses. Oh, and buying a house is out of the question because chances are you don't have a sufficient credit history and working history.

Millennials are also one of the most stressed generations with a suicide rate that hasn't been since the Great Depression.

One of my friends has a degree in mathematics or something related. Entry level jobs she applied for require 10 YEARS of experience.

Business owners will tell you... Why would they hire a college graduate when they can get someone with 40 years of experience to work an entry level $30,000/year job?

Part of that is that baby boomers aren't gonna leave the workforce, not when they're old enough to retire, not ever. That compounds the situation. Then, they turn around and say, "Get a job!"

If they left the workforce, instead of taking entry level jobs for extra income, there would be jobs for the rest of us.

Not to mention, there are age discrimination laws on the books. If a company tries to get an older person to retire to get younger workers, or passes up on older "more qualified" workers to hire young people, they get sued for "age discrimination".

Baby boomers are generally selfish people.

I was with you until this sentence. Come on, man.

My statement goes back to my previous comment about entitlements and stuff. The entitlements they complain about were created for them.

They're the ones collecting more from Social Security than they put in. They're the ones who oppose raising the retirement age on Social Security now. They want to "preserve" Social Security and Medicare by making drastic changes to them -- but don't want those changes to take effect until after they've been granted their sweet release from the world of the mortal.

The politicians they elected have run up the national debt. They are now those politicians running up the national debt. And the only way to fix it, in their eyes, is to tell millennials that we have to make sacrifices.

They've lived their entire lives with a government that's worked for them, with an economy that was good for them. But, when it comes to millennials, we're supposed to serve our country.

Millennials are registering to join the Armed Forces at much greater numbers than the boomer generation did. But we're told all the time that we all need to join the military and serve our country. When young people protest against a war, we're told we have no respect for our country.

Their parents, the children of the depression, came from nothing and fought in WWII and busted ass to make America a great country. To give them a better life. They haven't handed us a better life. They sent us to war, handed us the worst economy since the depression, a labor market depression, skyrocketing tuition rates and an unsustainable debt. And then, they tell us we're lazy.

When I was in Boy Scouts, we were always told to leave the campsite looking better than how we found it. My parents' generation were the proverbial pack of scouts who came into a perfectly clean campground, tore it apart, burned the cabins down and then told the next pack of scouts coming to the campsite to fix it.

My statement goes back to my previous comment about entitlements and stuff. The entitlements they complain about were created for them.

They're the ones collecting more from Social Security than they put in. They're the ones who oppose raising the retirement age on Social Security now. They want to "preserve" Social Security and Medicare by making drastic changes to them -- but don't want those changes to take effect until after they've been granted their sweet release from the world of the mortal.

The politicians they elected have run up the national debt. They are now those politicians running up the national debt. And the only way to fix it, in their eyes, is to tell millennials that we have to make sacrifices.

They've lived their entire lives with a government that's worked for them, with an economy that was good for them. But, when it comes to millennials, we're supposed to serve our country.

Millennials are registering to join the Armed Forces at much greater numbers than the boomer generation did. But we're told all the time that we all need to join the military and serve our country. When young people protest against a war, we're told we have no respect for our country.

Their parents, the children of the depression, came from nothing and fought in WWII and busted ass to make America a great country. To give them a better life. They haven't handed us a better life. They sent us to war, handed us the worst economy since the depression, a labor market depression, skyrocketing tuition rates and an unsustainable debt. And then, they tell us we're lazy.

When I was in Boy Scouts, we were always told to leave the campsite looking better than how we found it. My parents' generation were the proverbial pack of scouts who came into a perfectly clean campground, tore it apart, burned the cabins down and then told the next pack of scouts coming to the campsite to fix it.
I feel you, man. We just have to remember that not all Boomers think and act(ed) like the ones you've described - just like not all Millennials think and act like the ones described in Bob's video.

Selfish is subjective.
Baby boomers are generally selfish people is an extreme broad brush statement.

To quote Men In Black, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

A baby boomer isn't selfish. But, as a generation of people, they are selfish.

They're the ones who raised us "lazy millennials". They're the ones who wrecked the economy. They're the ones who have sat back and let our nation's infrastructure fall to ruins. They're the ones who have sent us to war. And then, they are selfish enough to say we should just "get a job".

Damn this thread got real. Lol

I didn't watch the whole video but it sounded like they were talking about hipsters more than millennials. That said, I agree with the sentiment of a lot of my fellow "millennials"(I thought I was gen y but whatever) here in this thread.

To quote Men In Black, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

A baby boomer isn't selfish. But, as a generation of people, they are selfish.

They're the ones who raised us "lazy millennials". They're the ones who wrecked the economy. They're the ones who have sat back and let our nation's infrastructure fall to ruins. They're the ones who have sent us to war. And then, they are selfish enough to say we should just "get a job".
I think there are many factors that have contributed to the current state of the economy as it relates to employment and available jobs.
Technology, automation, jobs outsourcing, etc.
I think the term "selfish" implies premeditation or intent.
The government is the main reason for our current economic situation. The government is selfish, not baby boomers as a whole.
JMO.

I think there are many factors that have contributed to the current state of the economy as it relates to employment and available jobs.
Technology, automation, jobs outsourcing, etc.
I think the term "selfish" implies premeditation or intent.
The government is the main reason for our current economic situation. The government is selfish, not baby boomers as a whole.
JMO.

The government is only as powerful as the elected officials, consisting mostly of baby boomers, allows it to be.

Technology and automation alone aren't why jobs aren't out there. That's been going on for decades.

The main culprit is what someone else said earlier. Baby boomers aren't retiring and exiting the workforce. And that's keeping millennials out of the workforce.

I'm 62 years old, I have a better than average job with all the overtime I want. I have a daughter in college, a house payment and 3 car payments. I had 2'but I had to replace my rust bucket 13 year old Dodge PU because it was falling apart. If I retired right now I'd make about 90% of what I make now except I'd have to get my own health insurance. If I work until I'm 67 I can finally reep the benefits of paying into SS for the last 40 years. It ain't a bed of roses for us Boomers either.

Last edited:
...The main culprit is what someone else said earlier. Baby boomers aren't retiring and exiting the workforce. And that's keeping millennials out of the workforce.

So they're doing this purposefully because they want to be selfish or are they also victims of the economy?
A lot of my friends lost quite a bit of their retirement savings over the past ten years. I don't think anyone was prepared for the '07/'08 financial crisis.
I think many would rather be retired but simply cannot afford to.

I'm 62 years old, I have a better than average job with all the overtime I want. I have a daughter in college, a house payment and 3 car payments. I had 2'but I had to replace my rust bucket 13 year old Dodge PU because it was falling apart. If I retired right now I'd make about 90% of what I make now except I'd have to get my own health insurance. If I work until I'm 67 I can finally reep the benefits of paying into SS for the last 40 years. It ain't a bed of roses for us Boomers either.

How old were you when you realized retirement was totally realistic? Because I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I'm young asf in the grand scheme of things so that's why I'm curious.

The Baby Boomer generation is easily the worst generation. They created the problems we have now. Social Security and Medicare were created for them.............

Wrong, SS was signed into law by FDR in 1935, over a decade before the first boomers were born. Medicare came under the feds in 1966, 3 years before Woodstock making most boomers roughly 20 years old.
So these programs weren't created for us and yes we use them, but of course we've all paid into the systems for more years than millennia's have been alive.
Now instead of keeping the cap on FICA artificially low, for 2016 it remains at the $118,500 2015 level bump it up to $150,000 and all the solvency problems of SS and Medicare magically go away. .

Wrong, SS was signed into law by FDR in 1935, over a decade before the first boomers were born. Medicare came under the feds in 1966, 3 years before Woodstock making most boomers roughly 20 years old.

Programs created by your parents for you. They were creating a better future than you.

What has the baby boomer generation done for their country? What have they done to make sure that, when they depart this world, it's better than they left it?

but of course we've all paid into the systems for more years than millennia's have been alive.

Statistical fact, your generation is also collecting more than you paid into it. And you're leaving us with the tab. And now that the boomers in Congress see a problem, they want to fix it, by "privatizing" it (giving MY money to the banks to gamble with) or by cutting them altogether. None of the proposed changes boomers in Congress, Democrat and Republican, will go into effect in a way that will affect them. It all affects me.

In other words: "I got mine, screw you". See, selfish.

Raising the retirement age would help, but you guys are against that. Your generation is also against retiring and take entry level or part-time jobs, jobs that young people need to start out their careers. Those people take less in social security, but are an even bigger detriment to the stability of the economy.

Then, when young people can't find jobs, y'all go around and call us "lazy".

Nope
They're the ones collecting more from Social Security than they put in.
Yep, that's how insurance works.
They're the ones who oppose raising the retirement age on Social Security now. They want to "preserve" Social Security and Medicare by making drastic changes to them -- but don't want those changes to take effect until after they've been granted their sweet release from the world of the mortal.
The opposition comes because you can't change the rules on the 5 yard line.
The politicians they elected have run up the national debt. . They are now those politicians running up the national debt. And the only way to fix it, in their eyes, is to tell millennials that we have to make sacrifices.
They've lived their entire lives with a government that's worked for them, with an economy that was good for them. But, when it comes to millennia's, we're supposed to serve our country.
Yep, and until more start to hold politicians responsible it's not going to change

Millennia's are registering to join the Armed Forces at much greater numbers than the boomer generation did. But we're told all the time that we all need to join the military and serve our country. When young people protest against a war, we're told we have no respect for our country.
Who the hell are you shiiting? More millennial's are joining the military than boomers did? Ever hear of the draft?

Ahh, how long do you let your sour grapes ferment before your whine is drinkable?

Who the hell are you shiiting? More millennial's are joining the military than boomers did? Ever hear of the draft?

LOL, boomers had to be forced to go to war. And they protested it. That's not voluntary enlistment. Talk about moving goalposts.

Then, when kids volunteer to join the military, boomers send them into two different wars, one of them was a completely unnecessary quagmire. And when young people protested against that war, we were told we hate America and are lazy bums who need to realize "freedom isn't free".

Again, leaving the campsite better than you found it.

Goes back to my campsite analogy. You guys came into a perfectly clean campsite and trashed the place in a week. Then, when someone else came into the campsite, you bitch at those "lazy kids" because they didn't clean it up in an hour.

I hate the guy but Donald Trump is right about one thing, the American Dream is dead. It was killed by the baby boomers.

Back
Top Bottom