MLB 2024 Season

Oh I wonder what it's like in Toronto right now

More money than I would want the Sox to spend on one player.
I was reading the Dodgers only had a couple players signed long tern because they were shooting for this. I mean they have stupid money to spend, but at some point that's got to have an effect on how you perform.

I was reading the Dodgers only had a couple players signed long tern because they were shooting for this. I mean they have stupid money to spend, but at some point that's got to have an effect on how you perform.
Passan followed up by tweeting that the deal has significant deferrals, so that the tax hit over the term of his playing days is not that big and they can continue to build around him. Basically, he’s going to wind up still being paid by the Dodgers come 2050.

And the Dodgers also have, by far, the most lucrative RSN deal via Spectrum, at a time when about half of MLB teams are seeing their RSN go tits up.

Unpopular opinion but this is why the MLB needs some sort of salary cap.

Also, it's not lost on me that the team I root for is one of the highest spenders in the league.

Also, it's not lost on me that the team I root for is one of the highest spenders in the league.
Thing is, when it comes to salary caps and floors, you don’t implement one without the other. And there are too many owners who wouldn’t vote for a floor because they treat their baseball team essentially as a high-yield savings account. Especially all the teams that are significant net recipients of the revenue sharing formula.

Holy ****. This is a suuuuuuuuper team-friendly deal. Ohtani is only going to make $2M annually in salary for the duration of his contract, and then will receive $68M every July 1 from 2034-2043. His AAV for the purposes of the luxury tax each season will be $46M.

Holy ****. This is a suuuuuuuuper team-friendly deal. Ohtani is only going to make $2M annually in salary for the duration of his contract, and then will receive $68M every July 1 from 2034-2043. His AAV for the purposes of the luxury tax each season will be $46M.

the big issue i have is the reduced AAV in regards to the luxury tax. MLB needs to close this loop hole at the next bargaining agreement. that number should without a doubt be $70M not $45M.

major major issue for MLB.

i dont think its unpopular. its why the NFL has parity (for the most part)

i think fans would love a cap and floor.

i think fans have been calling for since the yankees started tossing money around like candy.

i think fans have been calling for since the yankees started tossing money around like candy.

Fans want to see baseball teams operate like the Baltimore Orioles are. Developing young talent in the farm.

I can see the Yankees or Dodgers offering someone a $1 billion contract guaranteed before the end of the decade.

Fans want to see baseball teams operate like the Baltimore Orioles are. Developing young talent in the farm.

I can see the Yankees or Dodgers offering someone a $1 billion contract guaranteed before the end of the decade.
Bryce Harper still has 8 years left on his deal, his agent is already trying to open negotiations on a contract that will keep him in Philly for life. Dude is already 31. Like wtf man…

Spending is a good way to get your foot in the door, but the nature of the postseason and the game itself lends to parity already. Even just this year the Diamondbacks had a bottom 10 payroll. The Rays are notorious penny pinchers and have made two World Series within the past fifteen years.

It seems like MLB, the league, wants a salary cap but both ownership and the players want nothing to do with one. I think it’s a non-starter at this point.

Spending is a good way to get your foot in the door, but the nature of the postseason and the game itself lends to parity already. Even just this year the Diamondbacks had a bottom 10 payroll. The Rays are notorious penny pinchers and have made two World Series within the past fifteen years.

It seems like MLB, the league, wants a salary cap but both ownership and the players want nothing to do with one. I think it’s a non-starter at this point.
oh i agree...its not going anywhere. its too complicated. NFL can do it because the league holds tv contracts, MLB tv contracts are for the most part, held by each team, so therefore the terms are all over the place.

the luxury tax is a good start, but there are some loop holes that need to be closed, like for example, this one that the dodgers are using. We all know he's getting 700 million to play for 10 years, so split the entire contract up over that term to use the real AV.

MLB needs to take control of the TV deals league-wide.

One of the reasons the Dodgers have all this money is their deal with Spectrum. Meanwhile, other teams either have to own their own network to air games or are on the dying Diamond Sports Networks. On top of that, WB Discovery has already exited the RSN market, leaving teams to dry.

Controversial opinion but I like Ohtani on the Dodgers and am fine with the weird accounting here. Look at the attention Ohtani got for his free agent search. That kind of attention was good for baseball, and if Ohtani can go to LA and win championships, it keeps people engaged. He's a likable guy and the sports benefits from him succeeding.

One of the reasons the Dodgers have all this money is their deal with Spectrum. Meanwhile, other teams either have to own their own network to air games or are on the dying Diamond Sports Networks. On top of that, WB Discovery has already exited the RSN market, leaving teams to dry.
ballys is starting to cause some issues, it'll be interesting to see what happens with those networks.

the big issue i have is the reduced AAV in regards to the luxury tax. MLB needs to close this loop hole at the next bargaining agreement. that number should without a doubt be $70M not $45M.

major major issue for MLB.
So I guess the CBA language allows for unlimited deferrals. It’s not too much a surprise they didn’t consider this since pretty much no player other than Ohtani would ever think to defer 97% of his contract until his playing career is over. That money will be worth a lot less then than it is now. He can do this because he’s an international superstar who’s going to make loads more off of endorsements and merchandising both here and back in Japan, and he’s simply the only player in baseball who can do that. There’s just no one else who would willingly limit themselves to making $20M in cash flow over ten years in that state and that city. With the taxation and cost of living there the salary is essentially nothing.

So I guess the CBA language allows for unlimited deferrals. It’s not too much a surprise they didn’t consider this since pretty much no player other than Ohtani would ever think to defer 97% of his contract until his playing career is over. That money will be worth a lot less then than it is now. He can do this because he’s an international superstar who’s going to make loads more off of endorsements and merchandising both here and back in Japan, and he’s simply the only player in baseball who can do that. There’s just no one else who would willingly limit themselves to making $20M in cash flow over ten years in that state and that city. With the taxation and cost of living there the salary is essentially nothing.

It reminds me of the story about Rob Gronkowski living off his endorsement deals and just banking for NFL salary for retirement. Very few guys get the level of endorsements that would let them do that, especially in baseball.

I don’t think you could even start to have that conversation unless everything happens to lapse at once. The NBA might luck out in that they’re going to buy back the Bally rights for those teams at the end of this season and then try to sell them as a part of the national TV package coming in 2025 (I would guess as a part of ESPN+ or something). But even then, that’s maybe half the teams in the league, and you have this weird situation where half the league is still making their own money from local deals and the other half is a group package.

i dont think you'll see a 97% number again, but i bet this broke the seal, i bet you're going to see larger deals spread out over many more years just like this going forward.

i dont think you'll see a 97% number again, but i bet this broke the seal, i bet you're going to see larger deals spread out over many more years just like this going forward.

This.

I am also not understanding the doomerism from small market team fans. Doesn't spreading out the salary help teams with less capital?

So they have a billion dollars tied up in 2 players ibwonder how many years they stretch that one over

So they have a billion dollars tied up in 2 players ibwonder how many years they stretch that one over
No deferrals in this one actually. Yamamoto is just coming over from Japan and isn’t going to have the same endorsements Ohtani has. And the deal is backloaded with opt-outs available after years six and eight, but since it’s backloaded he probably won’t do so.

Big commitment for someone who hasn’t thrown a Major League pitch yet, but it’s whatever to the Dodgers I guess.

FB_IMG_1704237622481.jpg

I think the loss of AL/DH & NL/P is a hit to the tradition of the game. I like seeing a bit more interleague.

I think the loss of AL/DH & NL/P is a hit to the tradition of the game. I like seeing a bit more interleague.
I never liked the idea of a designated hitter. I think everyone should be required to hit and field if they want to play the game.

The Oakland A’s are in discussions about playing in Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Reno, Oracle Park in San Francisco, & Las Vegas Ballpark outside of town.

The Oakland A’s are in discussions about playing in Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Reno, Oracle Park in San Francisco, & Las Vegas Ballpark outside of town.

I see people attacking the A's for having to find a temporary home. The A's are in a similar situation as the Nats when they moved from Montreal. They have to find somewhere to play while their stadium is being built. Unfortunately, there is no RFK Stadium equivalent in Las Vegas for them to use.

I see people attacking the A's for having to find a temporary home. The A's are in a similar situation as the Nats when they moved from Montreal. They have to find somewhere to play while their stadium is being built. Unfortunately, there is no RFK Stadium equivalent in Las Vegas for them to use.

People are attacking the A’s because their ownership is cheap & Las Vegas doesn’t really want the A’s.

Back
Top Bottom