MLB punishes the Astros for 2017 sign stealing as the NFL should have punished the Patriots

gnomesayin

Team Owner
instead of covering it up and destroying the evidence.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28476780/astros-jeff-luhnow-aj-hinch-fired-sign-stealing

In short, MLB suspended both the Astros' GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch for the upcoming season, and the Astros in turn fired both. They fined the Astros the maximum amount allowable and took away first and second round draft picks for 2020 and 2021. Discipline for current Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who was in 2017 the Astros' bench coach and widely viewed as the architect of the video surveillance system used, is forthcoming. The sentence for him will likely be worse.

They almost got it right. Given that this was not isolated or a sole rogue actor within the organization, the Astros should also be stripped of their World Series title for that season as well. They should be the equivalent of the 1919 Black Sox.

What say you?

Astros owner finished the job in firing both Hinch and Luhnow.

The Red Sox might as well retroactively fire Cora as well and start looking for a brand new manager.

I agree the Astros need their 2017 championship vacated. And if the investigation into the Red Sox is as egregious as what we had with the Astros they need to do the same.

I feel Cora is about to get banned from the MLB being linked to two teams who cheated back to back. What an embarrassment.

instead of covering it up and destroying the evidence.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28476780/astros-jeff-luhnow-aj-hinch-fired-sign-stealing

In short, MLB suspended both the Astros' GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch for the upcoming season, and the Astros in turn fired both. They fined the Astros the maximum amount allowable and took away first and second round draft picks for 2020 and 2021. Discipline for current Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who was in 2017 the Astros' bench coach and widely viewed as the architect of the video surveillance system used, is forthcoming. The sentence for him will likely be worse.

They almost got it right. Given that this was not isolated or a sole rogue actor within the organization, the Astros should also be stripped of their World Series title for that season as well. They should be the equivalent of the 1919 Black Sox.

What say you?

Hard to revise this far removed from the event, imo. Apply penalties, fines, bans etc, imo.
Stripping them of the championship probably would please the purist (the ones that will never leave) while leaving more casual fans in doubt about the credibility.
Minimizing this will not be popular with many, but it is the best for damage control.

Definitely a huge story and yes i think Alex Cora is going to pay a similar if not bigger price than AJ Hinch. He's gonna get fired from the Red Sox for sure and at least a 1 year ban.

I'm not one for stripping titles from teams. The punishment they received is suitable enough.

Saying they're the equal to the 1919 White Sox that threw the World Series is a bit extreme to me.

Looks like it was mutual. It had to be done. Respect

Looks like it was mutual. It had to be done. Respect

Yeah might as well get it over with. He's gonna get hit with at least a 1 year ban. Might be more. Sox need to get moving on bringing in a new manager.

The Red Sox are currently under MLB investigation regarding whether they used a similar sign stealing system during 2018. The Kumbaya statement that praises Cora for being such a swell guy means they are all sticking together for now, hoping it blows over. We'll see.

Everyone involved should be fined the equivalent of their salary during 2017, and then some. They should also be permanently banned from participating in the MLB in any form, including attending a game as a fan. The World Series title should also be stripped from them.

The Red Sox are currently under MLB investigation regarding whether they used a similar sign stealing system during 2018. The Kumbaya statement that praises Cora for being such a swell guy means they are all sticking together for now, hoping it blows over. We'll see.

The 2018 playoffs were the first postseason in which MLB had dedicated measures in place to prevent electronic sign stealing. The league then distributed new rules to all teams in the spring of 2019, outlining them in a six-page document and accompanying FAQ.

Among those rules: No camera installed beyond the outfield fence and between the foul poles may capture an image of the catcher’s signs. Any camera in that area needs advance approval from the commissioner’s office. The league has also set rules about the placement and use of monitors and TVs, mandating that virtually every screen be on an eight-second delay. In addition, MLB placed league employees at the park to attempt to monitor what teams are doing.

What's different about the Astros and the Red Sox?

Based on what's been reported, the allegations about the Red Sox are on a somewhat different level than those regarding the Astros. While the Red Sox supposedly used video to decode opponents' sign sequences and passed the information along to their players, they did not go the additional step of using some means of communicating this knowledge -- such as the Astros' infamous trash-can banging -- to players at the plate from the dugout in most situations. They needed to get a runner to second base to see the sequences and signal them to whoever was at the plate.

https://theathletic.com/1363451/201...much-broader-issue-for-major-league-baseball/

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...on-fires-hinch-luhnow-answering-all-questions

Not that I'm making any excuses here. :whoopee:

EOXShKwWsAA_sNc

Carlos Beltran got fired.

MLB should cancel the 2020 season and clean house once and for all. This sport needs a hard reset.

I already feel sorry for the eventual 2020 WS champ. They're going to be a footnote in the aftermath of what happened this year.

Turning into cycling over here. Everyone's dirty!

If the electronic devices is true than not only do they need to vacate the championship but ban these players for life. This is too much.

Now Mike Trout is being dragged into this. :lol2:

The purists of this sport must be close to suiciding right now.

If the electronic devices is true than not only do they need to vacate the championship but ban these players for life. This is too much.

just wow if that's true. unbelievable really

If Altuve and Bregman DID wear devices and it can be proven then yeah i agree that's gotta be it for them.

Those involved in this scandal are gonna pay the price for MLB doing nothing for years during they steroid era, when everyone knew what was going on but it was selling too many tickets to make them wanna stop it.

Los Angeles city council urging MLB to strip the 2017 and 2018 titles from the astros and red sox and award them to the Dodgers.

Lol people need to get real.

Would it mean anything to those Dodgers players? Nope. Be a joke.

Sign stealing has been part of the game since day 1. The Astros just figured out a better way to do it.

Los Angeles city council urging MLB to strip the 2017 and 2018 titles from the astros and red sox and award them to the Dodgers.

Lol people need to get real.

Would it mean anything to those Dodgers players? Nope. Be a joke.

Sign stealing has been part of the game since day 1. The Astros just figured out a better way to do it.

Pretty sad. Begging for hand me downs about titles you didn't earn.

I supposed the Astros and Red Sox made them choke as well? Dodgers aren't called the biggest bitches in Baseball for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom