Most Surprising and Most Disappointing Driver of 2014

ToyYoda

Team Owner
Who do you think they'll be?

My picks:

Most surprising: Ryan Newman

Ryan isn't getting a lot of love for his move over to RCR, but I think it will be a good change of scenery for him, and I think he fares much better in the 31 than Jeff Burton has the last few years.

Most disappointing: Kevin Harvick

Harvick has finished 3rd in points 3 of the last 4 years, but I don't think he comes even close to that this year. Too many question marks over at SHR.

Most surprising --------------- Kurt Busch
Most disappointing -------------- Cow Hat

I believe the most disappointing might be Chase Elliott. He's used to dominating these short track races but that's not gonna happen in Nationwide. He has to tangle with guys like Busch and Harvick.

hoping most surprising is the 3 car.
to many to pick from for disappointing.

I'll be surprised if any of these three wheel holders win a race
Truex 1 win in 6 years, Manard 1 win in 10 years, and Earnhardt Jr. 1 win in 5 years

Most Surprizing: Austin Dillon (I honestly think that having some Sprint Cup experience could possibly help him drive cleaner and not get into situations that cause him to get wrecked, look for him to be top 15-20 every race with 2-3 surprise wins.)
Most disappointing: Brian Vickers (Even though he has a good car and team at MWR, he just doesn't have the skill, patience or passion for the sport.) Watch him wreck consistently then blame it on the other guy while being top 30 in the points lol.

Best Surprise: Aric Almirola

He's come close at the 1.5s and flat tracks recently. I won't be surprised if he finally breaks through for that first win this year.

Biggest disappointment: Austin Dillon

Stenhouse has his number so far and look at how his rookie season went. The Cup Series looks to be as deep as it's been in years this season so I think he'll fall short of expectations, even if a lot of those expectations are just because of the number on the side of his car.

I believe the most disappointing might be Chase Elliott. He's used to dominating these short track races but that's not gonna happen in Nationwide. He has to tangle with guys like Busch and Harvick.
So, he'll finish third? :D

Surprising--Denny Hamlin
Disappointing--Kurt Busch

Hamlin believes that he has something to prove, and he is fast. Note that I said he believes that he has something to prove. Not sure that this is some season of redemption by any stretch, but if he wants to believe it, it will motivate him. The fact that Darian is in a contract year is added incentive to prove the team is Championship caliber. I believe the planets are aligned. Look for him to win the regular season.

Caught up in the afterglow of a winless season, and a rookie crew chief (What the hell is Zippy thinking?), I think Kurt will struggle. He will go off. Hass will distance himself further from Stewart. In fact, I think that the SHR organization would have to be chasing their asses right now with all of the shot gun changes in the offseason. In regard to SHR, I think that Childers and Johnston are excellent crew chiefs, but neither one has been thrown into the fire of expectation the way they will be this year. You could say the same thing about Ratcliff last year, but he had the security of what I think is the best organization in NASCAR. SHR is not what JGR is.

Back to Childers and Johnston.....I am not certain that Rodney has ever had his ass ripped the way he will with Harvick, and I am not sure that Johnston has ever had to respond to the pressure that will come with crew chiefing a Champion. I am blown away that the NASCAR media has fallen in love with these teams while ignoring the obvious question marks regarding the driver/cc pairings.

Yeah! He can wreck for wins with the best of em! :rolleyes:

I decided when I saw the MoSport win that I don't like him too much. It was a pretty easy decision..

Fans complain that the drivers are "too vanilla" then complain when a driver does what it takes to win, go figure. And mosport was a racing incident, Dillon was running out of fuel and tried to block Elliott's racing line when he was already making a move. Was he supposed to slam the breaks and let the much slower truck win?

Hamlin believes that he has something to prove, and he is fast. Note that I said he believes that he has something to prove. Not sure that this is some season of redemption by any stretch, but if he wants to believe it, it will motivate him. The fact that Darian is in a contract year is added incentive to prove the team is Championship caliber. I believe the planets are aligned. Look for him to win the regular season.
I can definitely see him bouncing back from last year the way he did from 2011 a couple of years ago.

Most Surprizing: Austin Dillon (I honestly think that having some Sprint Cup experience could possibly help him drive cleaner and not get into situations that cause him to get wrecked, look for him to be top 15-20 every race with 2-3 surprise wins.)
Most disappointing: Brian Vickers (Even though he has a good car and team at MWR, he just doesn't have the skill, patience or passion for the sport.) Watch him wreck consistently then blame it on the other guy while being top 30 in the points lol.

Welcome to the forum, MaxKansas , I'm not expecting much from Vickers either . Hasn't really shown much in the past . He may not even get medical clearance to race.

Surprise: Junior is the 2014 Champ
Disappointing: Johnson falls apart this year!

Best Surprise: Aric Almirola

He's come close at the 1.5s and flat tracks recently. I won't be surprised if he finally breaks through for that first win this year.

Biggest disappointment: Austin Dillon

Stenhouse has his number so far and look at how his rookie season went. The Cup Series looks to be as deep as it's been in years this season so I think he'll fall short of expectations, even if a lot of those expectations are just because of the number on the side of his car.

Aric has been fast at the start of the past 2 years, then RPM seems to fall way behind the other teams.

I can definitely see him bouncing back from last year the way he did from 2011 a couple of years ago.
I think that the Gen 6 is not necessarily the car for Denny. The gap has been closed at Martinsville where he kicked everybody's ass. So, I think that the car plus his time away, and his struggles upon return have caused him to be really intentional about what he is doing. This, in turn, has placed a premium on his communication with Darian. He will be rewarded for his commitment. Denny is freakin' fast. Fontana was his. Had Joey not been Joey, last year would have been so different.

Aric has been fast at the start of the past 2 years, then RPM seems to fall way behind the other teams.
Yeah, he had four straight Top 10s from Texas through Talladega in April/May and was 8th in points before things dropped off. Hopefully they can keep up this year.

Surprise: Junior is the 2014 Champ
Disappointing: Johnson falls apart this year!
I'm not so sure "fall apart" is the right term. With such a strong and proven team as the 48 I just don't think they'll "fall apart". Personally I think they'll get #7 this year because Chad and Jimmie seem to shine when faced with new circumstances, but either way they aren't gonna "fall apart"!
I'll be surprised if the 48 doesn't get #7!

I'm not so sure "fall apart" is the right term. With such a strong and proven team as the 48 I just don't think they'll "fall apart". Personally I think they'll get #7 this year because Chad and Jimmie seem to shine when faced with new circumstances, but either way they aren't gonna "fall apart"!
Has Jimmie ever even had to race hard at Homestead? lol ;)

I'll be surprised if the 48 doesn't win 8 Championship before it's all over and done with.

2010 and 2012.

All the other times, he didn't have to. I mean really, if you're going into Homestead with a comfortable points lead and all you have to do is finish X position or higher to win the Championship, why wouldn't you play it Conservatively? It's better to place in 10th and win the Championship than to try to race for the win, get wrecked out or blow an engine and lose the race and the Championship.

All the other times, he didn't have to. I mean really, if you're going into Homestead with a comfortable points lead and all you have to do is finish X position or higher to win the Championship, why wouldn't you play it Conservatively? It's better to place in 10th and win the Championship than to try to race for the win, get wrecked out or blow an engine and lose the race and the Championship.

JJ and the 48 raced the rules perfectly year after year. The times JJ falters is when he's behind or in a tight points race, like 2011 (Charlotte) and 2012 (Phoenix and Kansas).

JJ and the 48 raced the rules perfectly year after year. The times JJ falters is when he's behind or in a tight points race, like 2011 (Charlotte) and 2012 (Phoenix and Kansas).

One thing I'll say, Brian France new rules have certainly hyped up the Homstead race.

Too bad he ****** everything else up in order to get that Hype, but there ya go.

Back
Top Bottom