nascar admits blunder, do they make up for it??

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/c...eously-sent-back-field-texas-race-nascar-says

apparantly jimmy was required to move to the back of the field to start the race at texas. Nascar claimed he failed inspection 3 times when it was only twice. Still though the damage was done and jimmie had to start from the back. its rare that nascar comes out and admits a mistake like this. I wonder if they ever let the team get away with something else in the future. Meaning is it expected that the team is able to make up for it at another race and nascar might look the other way.

Maybe it was the same NASCAR Official that posted the incorrect winner at the track, and on the NASCAR website after the truck race a couple of weeks ago. 2 major mistakes - wow.

No, what is done can't be undone. Proper and accountable officiating is being open about errors when they occur, answering questions about how and why they occurred, and implementing procedures to ensure they don't happen again. Thus far NASCAR's public response has been fairly appropriate. This is something they used to do very poorly at.

Maybe it was the same NASCAR Official that posted the incorrect winner at the track, and on the NASCAR website after the truck race a couple of weeks ago. 2 major mistakes - wow.

Do you believe that scoring involves an official manually posting a winner to a scoreboard and a website?

I knew enough when I saw the error on the leaderboard after the truck race, that it wasn't a big deal, I had to wait a bit until I could post the finishing order in the truck thread. In fact I laughed a bit about it. He was driving that 20 year old truck in his last race of his career. Who knows, it might have been done so he could get a picture of it. it was changed quickly.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/c...eously-sent-back-field-texas-race-nascar-says

apparantly jimmy was required to move to the back of the field to start the race at texas. Nascar claimed he failed inspection 3 times when it was only twice. Still though the damage was done and jimmie had to start from the back. its rare that nascar comes out and admits a mistake like this. I wonder if they ever let the team get away with something else in the future. Meaning is it expected that the team is able to make up for it at another race and nascar might look the other way.
No, what's done can't be undone. I highly doubt that any official would look the other way. Too many eyes in the garage would prevent that.

there are sooo so many small things these teams pose to officials on a given week. just like someone posted here once back in the 80's they would purposely make things wrong with the car so the officials would find that but not other things. There are also things that are subject to interpenetration. What I am getting at is there some leway that is given that isn't given if the mistake wasn't made.

They make up for it by reviewing what happened, changing policy to make sure it doesnt happen again. Just like after a wreck, its reviewed and changes are made to prevent or make it better.

I knew enough when I saw the error on the leaderboard after the truck race, that it wasn't a big deal, I had to wait a bit until I could post the finishing order in the truck thread. In fact I laughed a bit about it. He was driving that 20 year old truck in his last race of his career. Who knows, it might have been done so he could get a picture of it. it was changed quickly.

They published it on the NASCAR website and left it there until it was caught. That doesn't look very good. That's a major blunder.

If NASCAR fails they should give the team 20 minutes extra practice the following week, second failure the team gets an extra car chief, and if NASCAR fails a third time then the pace car has the start at the back. Sounds fair to me...:D

If NASCAR fails they should give the team 20 minutes extra practice the following week, second failure the team gets an extra car chief, and if NASCAR fails a third time then the pace car has the start at the back. Sounds fair to me...:D
Third time they should just give the pace car to the offending team. :D

A mistake that could have been easily corrected before the race

No, what is done can't be undone. Proper and accountable officiating is being open about errors when they occur, answering questions about how and why they occurred, and implementing procedures to ensure they don't happen again. Thus far NASCAR's public response has been fairly appropriate. This is something they used to do very poorly at.

Do you believe that scoring involves an official manually posting a winner to a scoreboard and a website?

Excellent post

Maybe the answer is to not hand out penalties like this so close to race time that there is no opportunity to correct a mistake by the sanctioning body. :eek:

Maybe the answer is to not hand out penalties like this so close to race time that there is no opportunity to correct a mistake by the sanctioning body. :eek:
The answer is to find out where the miscommunication was and fix it. This isnt an ongoing problem, it was an anomaly.

Still. If Chad Knaus didn't know anything was up until the pace laps were starting, That is cutting it awful close, whether the ruling was in error or not.

Don't the teams know the rules too tho? I mean if they fail three times they start at the rear.. even us fans know that so what did Chad think they failed three times? Or just didn't question the penalty? Forgot the rule book? I doesn't make sense to me how that could happen.

Don't the teams know the rules too tho? I mean if they fail three times they start at the rear.. even us fans know that so what did Chad think they failed three times? Or just didn't question the penalty? Forgot the rule book? I doesn't make sense to me how that could happen.
Either earlier in this or in one of the other threads that talked about this same subject, it was mentioned that by the time that they were told of this move to the rear, it was too late to take things up with the powers that be, so they complied.

Just thought I would check and see and wouldnt you know, the 48 to the rear was listed on Jayski before the race. So Jayski knew it but nobody in race control did? Nobody in the 48 pit?

To the rear: #78-Truex, Jr. (engine change), #19-Suarez (engine change), #37-Buescher (engine change) #32-DiBenedetto (transmission change), #24-Byron (failed pre-race inspection), #48-Johnson (failed pre-race inspection), #10-Almriola (unapproved body modifications after inspection).

Either earlier in this or in one of the other threads that talked about this same subject, it was mentioned that by the time that they were told of this move to the rear, it was too late to take things up with the powers that be, so they complied.
That's just not right.. they just wait until last minute to inform them of something they should have already known that was never actually something that should have happened anyway.. smh

Just thought I would check and see and wouldnt you know, the 48 to the rear was listed on Jayski before the race. So Jayski knew it but nobody in race control did? Nobody in the 48 pit?

To the rear: #78-Truex, Jr. (engine change), #19-Suarez (engine change), #37-Buescher (engine change) #32-DiBenedetto (transmission change), #24-Byron (failed pre-race inspection), #48-Johnson (failed pre-race inspection), #10-Almriola (unapproved body modifications after inspection).
Interesting. I thought Almirola wasn't caught until the last minute.

I used to know where to find this stuff on Jayski. Hell, I used to live on Jayski. :espnsux:

It doesn't make any sense at all, most fans understand the simple rule. Somebody on the 48 team is not doing their job

Between the inspection station and the officials in the tower --
"What we have here is a failure to communicate." *said in my Strother Martin voice with Southern accent.* LOL

Funny thing, Strother Martin is known for that southern accent, but he was from Indiana, a state that many people say has no accent at all. Go figure. :)

No reason to question NASCAR's judgment....now, let's talk about the ****** absurd uncontrolled tire rule.....

Dear Jimmie,

We're sorry. However, we did implement a championship system with all your favorite tracks in it. Even?

Apologetically yours, Brian France

Back
Top Bottom