NASCAR and IndyCar looking into doubleheader

MRM

Team Owner
Jenna Fryer tweeted NASCAR and IndyCar are looking into the possibility of hosting a doubleheader, more than likely at a SMI track.

Indy cars only works for me for the Indy 500. An historical benchmark with amazing history that is mesmerizing to watch, for some reason.

On ovals, the Indy zippy little kart like moving-about doesn't hold my attention like NASCAR Cup cars where you can see the cars and drivers struggle, hit the wall, understeer, oversteer, use each other up, burn up brakes and tires, frustrations of pilot and crew, etc

Since I saw the ROVAL last year, Indy Cars just lack that final contact competitiveness that I so enjoy with NASCAR on road race (ROVAL hybrid) circuits.

Street courses, concrete jungles with various surface imperfections and narrow corridors capture my attention for less than a few minutes. It's more about the location than the racing, it seems. (Same for F1 Monaco)

No reason to unimpress half the audience with a doubleheader of such auto racing diversity. NASCAR audience already seems to be fractured enough.

Last edited:
Or Iowa perhaps.
I was thinking from the IndyCar perspective, they need another oval - preferably a short oval. Unless it’s a high-wear track I wouldn’t do another big track. I remember last year they were talking about Richmond and Chicagoland, not sure if those are still on the table.

Iowa has so many events crammed into different weekends during the summer that consolidating a couple of them would probably be a good idea too though. Or if NASCAR ever does decide to run Cup there.

They used to have Indycar and the trucks together at Texas back in the day.
They use to have Indycar and Trucks at PIR back in the day , IRL got the garage area.
FsAa1zQ.jpg

In the end it’ll be either Sonoma or Watkins. personally, I would prefer the Daytona road course to kick off speedweeks

She is not someone I consider credible.
Marcus Smith said that earlier at some other event...not the first time it's been brought up.
They used to have Indycar and the trucks together at Texas back in the day.
They're still doing that. Gateway will have a Truck/IndyCar doubleheader starting next year too.

This. By never going back, they are showing respect in multiple ways.

Yep.

Just flat dangerous for open wheel cars anyway. Everyone knew something terrible was going to happen there. Randy Bernard himself was in the media center at the Baltimore Grand Prix talking about the speed and the big ones.

I know Las Vegas is an appealing market, but INDYCAR should try to do a street course race if they want to go back there.

Yep.

Just flat dangerous for open wheel cars anyway. Everyone knew something terrible was going to happen there. Randy Bernard himself was in the media center at the Baltimore Grand Prix talking about the speed and the big ones.

I know Las Vegas is an appealing market, but INDYCAR should try to do a street course race if they want to go back there.
Well, well, speaking of appeal... what's not to love about a Vegas street course race?

My idea is to start the Indy Car season during Speedweeks in Daytona. I wish they'd find a way to run the infield, I'd be so for that. Then Indy Car from Daytona can jet off to Europe for a race or two then back to Tampa per usual. I found this on YouTube..... I am in love.

She is not someone I consider credible.
Keep in mind she's the one that posted the 'DW should retire story' about a week before he announced it. Somebody fed her that information to put it out there to gauge interest.

A Vegas street course would be a huge hit and if they did it at Fremont Street again I would book a Fremont Street hotel in a heartbeat. Vegas is a good market for IndyCar IMO.

Supposedly the Blancpain GT World Challenge America finale is rumored to be at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway road course Oct 18-20.

I doubt it will be because it's no longer owned by Roger Penske and Belle Isle is, but MICHIGAN!!! For those fans younger than me, the Michigan 500 used to be something.

I see no point really for Indycars to race at the Charlotte roval. I don't see NASCAR going for it either. It's going to be in the playoffs, and the roval for when it occurs would have to be the Indycar season finale.

The rumor I heard a year ago on this was Chicagoland.

Why doesn't NASCAR just buy IndyCar and bring back the Speedway Divison from the 50s

I doubt it will be because it's no longer owned by Roger Penske and Belle Isle is, but MICHIGAN!!! For those fans younger than me, the Michigan 500 used to be something.

I see no point really for Indycars to race at the Charlotte roval. I don't see NASCAR going for it either. It's going to be in the playoffs, and the roval for when it occurs would have to be the Indycar season finale.

The rumor I heard a year ago on this was Chicagoland.
a night time Indy Car race on the Saturday Night before the Cup race. The Indy Car race here used to be bad ass under the lights. I never figured out why they changed it.

A Vegas street course would be a huge hit and if they did it at Fremont Street again I would book a Fremont Street hotel in a heartbeat. Vegas is a good market for IndyCar IMO.

Supposedly the Blancpain GT World Challenge America finale is rumored to be at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway road course Oct 18-20.
I don't know why they haven't made that official yet. That's been rumored since late last year yet...nothing. I wonder if they're upgrading the layout or what, since it hasn't been used in so long.
a night time Indy Car race on the Saturday Night before the Cup race. The Indy Car race here used to be bad ass under the lights. I never figured out why they changed it.
That was a combination of things, the first of them probably being that the Chase opener moved to Chicagoland in 2011, the year the IndyCar race fell off the calendar. They only would've been a few weeks apart and they couldn't find another date to make work. Same thing happened with Kansas when they got the spring Cup race that's been run within a week or two of when they used to run IndyCar there.

Of course, since then IndyCar oval races have only become harder to make work financially, which is why the NASCAR doubleheader concept would be of such benefit to them.

Good for you, they will lose some more fans if they keep tinkering :idunno: a race can only be interrupted so many times before it becomes total nonsense.
I guess you don't mind all of the interruptions of the commercials the old debris caution way then.

I guess you don't mind all of the interruptions of the commercials the old debris caution way then.

I don't watch commercials, debris cautions do not come at predetermined times. Funny, admitting that the old debris cautions may have been bogus says a lot about a racing series. I see many fans gravitating away from the series, we no longer have the NASCAR get togethers at my home that we used to have. The cycling grand tours are coming up, they will take up a good deal of my watching time, I am happy about that.

I don't watch commercials, debris cautions do not come at predetermined times. Funny, admitting that the old debris cautions may have been bogus says a lot about a racing series. I see many fans gravitating away from the series, we no longer have the NASCAR get togethers at my home that we used to have. The cycling grand tours are coming up, they will take up a good deal of my watching time, I am happy about that.
me too. Do you guys put a picture of Kyle on the TV during the commercials for everybody to look at? That might be your problem with declining attendance at the house.

Just seen this. Don’t know where to leave it, I assume here is a good place. Consider this a HARD pass for me, they just don’t get it. One step forward, three steps back it seems since 2003.

Prius series?
This news doesn’t even make me angry....just sad. Just really sad, I always looked at NASCAR stock cars as bad ass muscle cars since I was a kid. My first car when I was 16 was an 87 Grand National. I was hooked. I grew up with muscle cars watching my father work on his 67(memory betrays me now) Chevelle SS. Boy that thing was loud. He still has it...then when I got to high school I was able to pick a car within reason as long as I got a job to pay insurance and gas. I voted for the 02 Camaro Special Edition SS but instantly found out within reason meant within price. So my father brought home a 87 GN that needed work....it became my first car and I was hooked. I felt like Dale Earnhardt in that black car with the turbo spooling. Felt like a nascar driver. The millennial/ hipster hybrid fad Hybrid doesn’t make give me goosebumps like the roar of a stockcar does. In fact flipping channels I came across a Formula E race, while skillful drivers I laughed at the sound of those cars. They reminded me of those Fisher Price Jeeps I had as a kid that were motorized and had to be charged every hour. Just so sad, I can’t believe they are even thinking of going down this road.

In fact flipping channels I came across a Formula E race, while skillful drivers I laughed at the sound of those cars. They reminded me of those Fisher Price Jeeps I had as a kid that were motorized and had to be charged every hour. Just so sad, I can’t believe they are even thinking of going down this road.

That's funny right there. Like Helton said again..IF the automobile AND the racing industries go down the road with electrification...does that mean hybrids? Or some kind of Formula E thing? eh, despite the hype and having races where most of the crowd get to watch for free, Formula E isn't setting the word on fire from a business standpoint bottom line and that is the line that matters.

Back
Top Bottom