NASCAR and IndyCar looking into doubleheader

I don't watch commercials, debris cautions do not come at predetermined times. Funny, admitting that the old debris cautions may have been bogus says a lot about a racing series. I see many fans gravitating away from the series, we no longer have the NASCAR get togethers at my home that we used to have. The cycling grand tours are coming up, they will take up a good deal of my watching time, I am happy about that.
My get togethers are the same and we have a blast. We dont make up things to be disappointed about.

I am not against a couple halftime breaks or stoppages or whatever. It's actually not really anything new.

However, I am not the biggest fan of awarding points in the middle of the race, however you could argue other series have done the same thing with heat races and what not. It makes the points too confusing to the casual fans with this 10-1 stage point system.

I always wished NASCAR did 50 points to race winner (5 playoff points), 39 points to 2nd place, 38 to 3rd place, and on down to 40th place getting 1 point. With a stage winner receiving 5 points (1 playoff point), and 5th place receiving 1 stage point. That would allow the race winner to receive more points than the guy that dominated the stages and finished 2nd still. It also puts less weight into the stages and more of a "bonus point" system.

I am not against a couple halftime breaks or stoppages or whatever.

However, I am not the biggest fan of awarding points in the middle of the race

I have the opposite opinion. What draws me to racing more than any other sport is that any stoppages that may occur do so naturally (cautions for safety reasons). Forced stoppages in racing are worse than the final 2 minutes of an NBA game where both teams each use 3 timeouts, which results in 2 minutes of gameplay leading to 30 minutes of "gameplay". It is an unnecessary extension of the sporting event.

Mid-race points are a great idea that is poorly executed due to a stoppage of action. Keep the race green and it provides an additional layer of strategy where teams decide if they want to risk racing for those points, or take a risk by racing for the finishing points. Or both.

and part of racing, has been since 2017. The times they are a changin, everyday.

Changes such as that are not always for the better, that is why you still see many racing series that do not participate in that sort of nonsense. Imagine stopping a Moto-Gp race a quarter of the way thru, or an F-1 race or a World Superbike race. How about stopping a Motocross race at the halfway mark to let the riders participate in a hot dog eating contest :pbjtime:
Somebody recently mentioned that the old " debris caution " crap was actually done to allow for some commercials o_O:confused: Changing the eventual outcome of a race to allow for commercials ? that isn't racing, it is downright ridiculous. Now either that theory is correct or debris just magically stopped appearing on the racing surface.

The US 500 badly needs to come back. IndyCar could really use 3 premier 400/500 mile oval events.

Belle Isle sucks ass but it's like a turd nugget that won't flush with the Chevy sponsorship and dual races.

I don't know why they haven't made that official yet. That's been rumored since late last year yet...nothing. I wonder if they're upgrading the layout or what, since it hasn't been used in so long.

I hope it gets moved to Buttonwillow or Willow Springs or Utah myself if it isn't LVMS. 2 popular club tracks that would have PWC/Blancpain America as their top tier event.

Of course I would be okay with Utah Motorsports Campus coming back. It is a very nice facility for teams, sponsor hospitality, etc and already hosts MotoAmerica and Nitro World Games.

Not interested in KyBu bringing his baggage to Indy Car.

I have the opposite opinion. What draws me to racing more than any other sport is that any stoppages that may occur do so naturally (cautions for safety reasons). Forced stoppages in racing are worse than the final 2 minutes of an NBA game where both teams each use 3 timeouts, which results in 2 minutes of gameplay leading to 30 minutes of "gameplay". It is an unnecessary extension of the sporting event.

Mid-race points are a great idea that is poorly executed due to a stoppage of action. Keep the race green and it provides an additional layer of strategy where teams decide if they want to risk racing for those points, or take a risk by racing for the finishing points. Or both.

The biggest reason I can't get into basketball is because the game moves so slow in the "final two minutes." Teams are using timeouts every time they touch the ball, and the players all focus their attention on getting fouled, which draws another lengthy stoppage, so they can get free throws.

Boring as hell.

That's funny right there. Like Helton said again..IF the automobile AND the racing industries go down the road with electrification...does that mean hybrids? Or some kind of Formula E thing? eh, despite the hype and having races where most of the crowd get to watch for free, Formula E isn't setting the word on fire from a business standpoint bottom line and that is the line that matters.

Yet Formula E will be the standard other leagues follow.

INDYCAR/NASCAR doubleheader would be mutually beneficial.

As for Kyle's comments ... I'll just respond with a question: How long will it be before INDYCAR overtakes NASCAR in TV ratings?

Not interested in KyBu bringing his baggage to Indy Car.
KyBu in an Indy car would be awesome, but it doesn't really make any sense for him. Even with the ****pit protection next year it's very easy, as evidenced by the Wickens crash last year, to get into the fence and have a brutal impact that could injure. Indy is Indy, and pays $2.5M to win...versus everywhere else where it pays $30k to win. Easy to pass up when you have a nice salaried Cup gig.

INDYCAR/NASCAR doubleheader would be mutually beneficial.

As for Kyle's comments ... I'll just respond with a question: How long will it be before INDYCAR overtakes NASCAR in TV ratings?
It would take something catastrophic to happen to NASCAR like what happened with IndyCar racing in the mid-/late 90's for that to happen again.

KyBu in an Indy car would be awesome, but it doesn't really make any sense for him. Even with the ****pit protection next year it's very easy, as evidenced by the Wickens crash last year, to get into the fence and have a brutal impact that could injure. Indy is Indy, and pays $2.5M to win...versus everywhere else where it pays $30k to win. Easy to pass up when you have a nice salaried Cup gig.

On the other spectrum he can rack up more arbitrary records and there's no Indy Lights limitations in place.

I think the "life on the line" was the key part of that statement.
Like it was on the line for the Daytona X race a few years ago? That doesn't seem to have kept him out of that series since. I don't see fear of injury playing a role in the decisions these guys make, esp. once they've made it this far.

Like it was on the line for the Daytona X race a few years ago? That doesn't seem to have kept him out of that series since. I don't see fear of injury playing a role in the decisions these guys make, esp. once they've made it this far.

Jimmie Johnson won't go where Danica has been many times. Family decision apparently...

Sorry, but the risk / reward for him is completely out of whack running any oval IndyCar race outside of the Indy 500, and injury risk is a part of that. Gibbs and all of Busch's partners might have him involuntarily committed if he tried it.

To your point, I think there is a bit of blindness in the garage to the potential for a plate wreck to go terribly wrong, but there isn't much recent empirical evidence of it happening. Not true of IndyCar on bigger ovals.

Considering how few superspeedways the IndyCar guys run the disparity in likelihood of being injured is way out of balance. NASCAR has probably the safest race cars on the planet. Not even counting head injuries sustained from debris, guys like Wickens, Hinchcliffe, Bourdais, Mikhail Aleshin have had major injuries just within the past few years.

Wait a minute. Whether Kyle ever runs an IndyCar race, and his opinion of their venues, has nothing to do with whether the two series run a doubleheader. He answered a question that wasn't asked.

Wait a minute. Whether Kyle ever runs an IndyCar race, and his opinion of their venues, has nothing to do with whether the two series run a doubleheader.

This is true, and therefore it was probably a case of ask stupid questions, get stupid answers.

Wait a minute. Whether Kyle ever runs an IndyCar race, and his opinion of their venues, has nothing to do with whether the two series run a doubleheader. He answered a question that wasn't asked.
The question and answer lack context, but the way it came off to me was that he thought in the way that drivers would try to cross over and run both series that weekend, were it to happen. "running" is pretty vague there.

Jordan Bianchi of The Athletic put out a piece on this today. It's progressing, and could happen as soon as 2021. Texas is interested in hosting, and in that scenario both IndyCar and NASCAR have agreed that the IndyCar race would be Saturday night and the Cup race Sunday afternoon. Indianapolis is also very interested, and even would like to host a tripleheader between IndyCar, NASCAR, and IMSA - and perhaps not all on the same layout. Outside of those two, Pocono and the Charlotte Roval are also under consideration, and NBC is making a push to make it all happen.

Back
Top Bottom