Nascar at Richmond pre race thread

Fair enough. Still doesn’t even fully matter because at the end of the day, the person who collects the most points the whole season doesn’t always win the championship. Rarely does actually anymore.

It was pretty damn cool to see Newman pointing the 6 car into the playoffs or whatever it’s called now into the top 16 and nearly advance into the top 12 in 2019 in a car that’s had no business being in the hunt for the last 8-9 years. It’s been nice to see Almirola finishing well and being consistent in his final season. I really wish we’d stop with this win or nothing at all costs mentality. Sometimes a top 5, top 10 or top 20 is a good day depending on who you are and what your budget is.

I’m not sure the solution is or what they need to get rid of anymore. It just feels like constant resets & stages are not my thing. I think the product could still be good under a Winston Cup or Chase system.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Still doesn’t even fully matter because at the end of the day, the person who collects the most points the whole season doesn’t always win the championship. Rarely does actually anymore.
Then why is there a point system, if it "doesn't fully matter" ??

Then why is there a point system, if it "doesn't fully matter" ??
Because if we don’t get 16 winners, the other spots are filled by the points. Which is why it matters a bit, but like Chase being in the lead right now doesn’t matter. Now if he’s in the points lead and we got 16 winners and he’s not one of them, it matters then as he takes a spot from a winner. So it matters a little bit, but overall it really doesn’t matter.

Because if we don’t get 16 winners, the other spots are filled by the points. Which is why it matters a bit, but like Chase being in the lead right now doesn’t matter. Now if he’s in the points lead and we got 16 winners and he’s not one of them, it matters then as he takes a spot from a winner. So it matters a little bit, but overall it really doesn’t matter.
**Sigh**
My effen hair hurts after that gobbledygook mumbo jumbo lawyer double pig Latin speak....
NASCAR could use a pitchman like you .. Your presentation is so clear, concise and, .... never mind .It really doesn’t matter...
Well, maybe a little bit. But not overall...I guess...

**Sigh**
My effen hair hurts after that gobbledygook mumbo jumbo lawyer double pig Latin speak....
NASCAR could use a pitchman like you .. Your presentation is so clear, concise and, .... never mind .It really doesn’t matter...
Well, maybe a little bit. But not overall...I guess...
Let me sum it up for you in a simple way.

It doesn’t matter who’s in the lead, it doesn’t matter who gets the most points. That’s sadly not how a champion is determined now.

easy enough for you to understand?

Let me sum it up for you in a simple way.

It doesn’t matter who’s in the lead, it doesn’t matter who gets the most points. That’s sadly not how a champion is determined now.

easy enough for you to understand?
So,the most wins should be Champion. ? Like the old days?

And the points would do what?

Who is in the lead always matters in the last lap...

So,the most wins should be Champion. ? Like the old days?

And the points would do what?

Who is in the lead always matters in the last lap...
Don’t think it ever was who had the most wins unless that was one of the early early systems.

It should be who collects the most points over 36 races.

eh, points or no points, backing in or stealing wins...Alex Bowman was so close Sun to being the first multiple winner in the new car and leading the win statistics at HMS in 2022. I guess he will just have to make it happen this weekend. :D

I’m very intrigued to see how this new car will race around Richmond. I never thought it was the track’s fault that the racing there has perceived to have been bad (okay that one year that Truex whipped em here, I may have caught a nap), I have always leaned towards it being the previous car and “fan’s” ever shrinking attention span. I’ve always loved the multiple grooves of this place and ability to search around looking for speed, hopefully this car will allow that.

It was pretty damn cool to see Newman pointing the 6 car into the playoffs or whatever it’s called now into the top 16 and nearly advance into the top 12 in 2019 in a car that’s had no business being in the hunt for the last 8-9 years. It’s been nice to see Almirola finishing well and being consistent in his final season. I really wish we’d stop with this win or nothing at all costs mentality. Sometimes a top 5, top 10 or top 20 is a good day depending on who you are and what your budget is.

I’m not sure the solution is or what they need to get rid of anymore. It just feels like constant resets & stages are not my thing. I think the product could still be good under a Winston Cup or Chase system.
I said last year we should just adopt the F1 points system. Still puts a huge emphasis on winning, but also finishing inside the Top 10

I’m going off this https://www.espn.com/racing/standings which has Bowman as the leader in points.

The ESPN page isn't sorted properly. Look at points themselves, not just the sequence of driver names.

1648568367768.png

What has made it not that great in your opinion?
We went in 2019 and were not impressed. Racing action was mediocre at best and the track atmosphere/things to do were below average. I've been to 11 of the tracks currently on the schedule and I would rank Richmond 10th, only ahead of my home track, Texas.

Hopefully the new car improves the racing at Richmond and Texas.

Last edited:
I have hated Richmond for the last decade or so. I'm hoping the new car breathes some life into it.

I was ready to run some iRacing the other night and remembered "crap, it's Richmond week." Nope. Hate watching it, hate driving it even more.

I think a little resin to bring in a top grove, the new car, and drop the flag. It could be a really good contest.
I think the resin is still better than the PJ1 but in general I don't like the idea of having to "manipulate" the track to provide good racing.
Hell yeah, be better!

Should probably double what F1 hands out though to properly reward Top 10 finishes.
I always liked the fact that every position gained/lost makes a difference. I would also keep the stage points but increase the amount of points for the race winner to 60.

I think the resin is still better than the PJ1 but in general I don't like the idea of having to "manipulate" the track to provide good racing.

I always liked the fact that every position gained/lost makes a difference. I would also keep the stage points but increase the amount of points for the race winner to 60.
Which matters to fans, especially at the track! I don’t sit there and just watch the damn leader, you find the battles on the track. Even something for 15th can get quite dicey, especially at a short track

I have hated Richmond for the last decade or so. I'm hoping the new car breathes some life into it.

I was ready to run some iRacing the other night and remembered "crap, it's Richmond week." Nope. Hate watching it, hate driving it even more.

Funny you should say that because I logged 200 on the ol' Heat 4 Richmond out of nowhere this week, a challenge even if you're hooked up headache rage quit on x4 wear if you're not. Strikes me as a track that's more fun to drive in real life than it is to watch though.

The annual early season moment of truth for the JGR Toyota camp this week, curious about that collectively

And the new car with bigger brakes more tire, how is that going to alter driving style's at this place? Should be able to drive it in deeper on entry with different braking points, might open it up for some driver's that previously didn't like this track.

cool to see the Biff still out there running races with a small team, I thought he was just going to be a 1-off at Daytona but nope, cool to see.

You were the one who suggested to award points only to the Top 10 finishers... :lol2:
I know, and that's exactly why. Make guys fight for Top 10 or Top 20 by doubling the points. Makes the whole field fight more, raises the chances of a late race caution

Back
Top Bottom