Nascar Cup at the Indy Oval Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1721085714961.png

39 Cup cars entered for Brickyard 400. 15-Ware 16-Allmendinger 33-TDillon 66-McLeod 84-Johnson

1721085824535.jpeg

So excited for this one. It’s not every week where you can watch Cup drivers try to win at a place where almost every legend of Motorsport had competed at in the past. A wrong has been righted, this is one of my favorite races on the schedule.

As I said in the Pocono thread, this race might not end up being the most exciting race, but I really don't care. Though I'd never attend a race here due to the apparent limited view you get because of the infield grandstands, I still always enjoy when the cup cars come here due to how special it is to motorsports. Glad to see Johnson is attempting this one. Even he couldn't pass up the chance to race at the Brickyard again.

If I remember correctly, this layout raced a lot like Pocono. Obviously that was before the current car.
Yep, I'm set for another grinder, mostly single file racing. I think the trucks are going to be rowdy at IRP on a Friday night. It was bam slam hard racing last year that's for sure.

Indy is a track that generates great nostalgia but less actual excitement for me. Love open wheel there but just can’t get as excited about Cup cars on the flat rack. It’s one place I prefer the road configuration and I’m not a huge road course fan. Ah well.

I'm optimistic about this one with the symmetric cars. I think we may see good drafts on exit of 2 & 4 just like in Indy. This is one place that would benefit greatly from multiple compounds

Been looking forward to this one for some time. Technical track. Aero crucial. Big motor. I don't need side-by-side/bent up race cars. Great drivers, great cars, and the world's greatest track. Let's ****** go.

Lionel need to get that pre-order link up in a more expeditious manner. Chop chop!

Lionel Racing Contact Us​

Have questions? Lionel Racing’s friendly and knowledgeable agents are here to help. Our Customer Contact Center is available Feb-Sept: Monday-Thursday 9am-6pm & Friday 9am-12pm ET; Oct-Jan: Monday-Friday 9am-6pm ET (Holiday hours may vary)
You can contact us by calling 1-800-952-0708 or email us at [email protected]. Please allow 2-3 business days for email response.

@Mr. Gregory might be buying this one. Cool car.
He likes Caitlin too, but Angel is his Go To Girl.

Favorite driver. Favorite ball player. Lionel just need to take my money right now.
LOL, I looked at the car and was like "that's not Marina Mabrey, Angel Reese, DiJonai Carrington, Chennedy Carter, or Courtney Williams..." 😐

In all seriousness, I stopped bothering with diecasts quite some time ago, but I'm always glad to see the WNBA getting exposure elsewhere. 👍

* Tire bill for this race at The Speedway approx. $36,000 per car *

GOODYEAR TIRE NOTES

NASCAR Cup Series – Race No. 22 – 160 laps / 400 miles Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.5-mile oval) – Indianapolis, Ind.

Fast Facts for July 19-21, 2024

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Speedway Radials

Set limits: Cup: 3 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 12 sets for the race (11 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-side: D-5246; Right-side: D-5248

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,265 mm (89.17 in.); Right-side — 2,281 mm (89.80 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 18 psi; Left Rear — 20 psi; Right Front — 38 psi; Right Rear — 36 psi

Storyline – Cup Series back on historic Indy oval: After three years on Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s road course, the NASCAR Cup Series returns to racing on the facility’s historic oval in 2024. The racing surface provides a challenge for these heavy cars, with more lateral slip in the corners compared to the lighter, higher downforce cars that race on the track in May. The Cup tire set-up will be similar to the one Cup teams ran at Pocono Raceway last weekend, but with a couple changes. The Indy right-side tire features a “softer” tread compound to give the cars more grip and introduce more wear, and both will use heavier tread thicknesses..

“We’re back on the Indianapolis oval this week, and our work preparing for this race started right after last year’s race on the road course,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Once we knew that racing on the oval was a possibility, we held a test last August to establish a baseline with the Next Gen car on the track, since we hadn’t raced on it in three seasons. We followed that up with another on-track session there this June. That tested yielded a new right-side compound for additional grip, and adjustments to the tread thickness on both sides of the car.”

Notes – Cup teams on unique tire set-up at IMS: Being on 18-inch bead diameter tires, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the NASCAR Xfinity Series at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this week . . . this is the first time Cup teams have run either of these two Goodyear tire codes . . . in preparation for this race, Goodyear first held a test on the IMS oval directly after last August’s race on the facility’s road course . . . there was another test at the track this June, with Richard Childress Racing (Kyle Busch), Front Row Motorsports (Todd Gilliland) and Joe Gibbs Racing (Denny Hamlin) . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in their tires.

I hate to say anything about Lionel because, without them, there likely isn't a diecast market today.

But here they are not planning to produce a diecast that would sell out in minutes.

Meanwhile, most diecasts they advertise don't even get produced because, if there isn't a certain amount of pre-orders, they'll cancel production. And now, people don't pre-order diecasts because of the very high percentage chance that diecast won't ever get produced.

Combine that with the reduction in quality because of cost cutting. And don't get me started on the NASCAR Authentics line ... they'd sell more of those if what reached store shelves was anything close to recent. It's summer 2024 and you'll probably be hard-pressed to find any NASCAR Authentics items at your local Walmart or Target that is more recent than 2023 Wave 2 or Wave 3. And the only diecasts for NASCAR Authentics 2024 Wave 2 are Hendrick Motorsports.

Lionel's a great company that really needs to rethink how it approaches NASCAR.

I hope Caitlin is at the race in some official capacity.

Well this is cool for us fans that wanted to see it run one more time. I personally like this scheme more than the regular, colors just compliment each other.

Back
Top Bottom