Nascar Cup at the Indy Oval Pre-Race Thread

That does kind of make you wonder how sustainable it is or if it could possibly be a bubble that could burst in the future. Hopefully they don't come to rely on that $7 billion and then can't get nearly as much next time if TV keeps having problems.
That’s what the bed-wetters said 10 years ago when the still current agreements were signed.

Substantial discounts on the #9 Hooters shoe. Skip the ones with 'Coke' stickers.
They only provide one shoe for the snow board edition. My brother broke his lower leg and ankle earlier this year and wore a special boot to recuperate.
The half price single snow boarding shoe was a good gift for him.

That does kind of make you wonder how sustainable it is or if it could possibly be a bubble that could burst in the future. Hopefully they don't come to rely on that $7 billion and then can't get nearly as much next time if TV keeps having problems.
$7.7B over seven years is awfully cheap relative to much of the rest of the sports media landscape. NASCAR is consistent programming in a time where live sports is the most valuable genre on TV and will always be a part of that barring some sort of catastrophe. The delivery method (OTA, cable, streaming) may change depending on industry trends, but NASCAR will always satisfy a need for some companies out there.

$7.7B over seven years is awfully cheap relative to much of the rest of the sports media landscape. NASCAR is consistent programming in a time where live sports is the most valuable genre on TV and will always be a part of that barring some sort of catastrophe. The delivery method (OTA, cable, streaming) may change depending on industry trends, but NASCAR will always satisfy a need for some companies out there.
The new deal pays $280 Million more per year than the one set to expire at season’s end.

I think they did all right.

I see it going to PPV at some point in the next 10-20 years. I'd be fine with that. I already pay $350 per year to watch my favorite football team because they are out of my market. I would not mind paying something similar for NASCAR if I can watch when I want to (not live) and have in car audio. If I could do this now, I could officially get rid of TV.

Good points! I recently read where the NBA had signed an 11 year broadcast agreement for 76 billion so 7.7 billion is not a huge amount relatively speaking of course. Live sports programming is gold and NASCAR can provide a lot of content.

Good points! I recently read where the NBA had signed an 11 year broadcast agreement for 76 billion so 7.7 billion is not a huge amount relatively speaking of course. Live sports programming is gold and NASCAR can provide a lot of content.

NASCAR is one game a week though. These other leagues have 30-32 teams playing tons of games. The NBA season is 2,460 regular season games and a post season

NASCAR is one game a week though. These other leagues have 30-32 teams playing tons of games. The NBA season is 2,460 regular season games and a post season

Wow can you imagine 2500 races per year? I think NASCAR’s broadcast deal is a win for the tracks, teams & Nascar. To have the stability of a lucrative long term deal makes doing business much easier. 7.7 billion is still a lot of money to me.

The NASCAR deal is pretty similar to the new Big Ten deal ($8B/seven years). The NBA is the second-most valuable sports property in the country and it isn’t a competition. Closer to the NFL than it is to anything else.

Back
Top Bottom