NASCAR Heat Evolution out today!

I think there's a reason you don't see simulator games on consoles very often, whether it's NASCAR or Flight/Train sims. The market for those is niche, and those that are into it are more likely to be PC gamers. I loved NR2003, but I would go into the code to make it less technical (lessen tire wear, increase grip etc).

True but I think most people that get into simulation type games start by using the console games and then decide they want something more serious. I think a console version of the iracing game would attract some of those people into the simulation game on the PC.

Iracing could most certainly run on the PS4 or XBone. I was running it on hardware much worse than those two. Now will it be crisp and clean? Maybe to as good as an i7 and gtx1080

Yeah not trying to take a swipe at the consoles, I was just trying to point out that the software code for PC is different than for the console games. There would need to be a little effort to get the iracing sim into console format.

True but I think most people that get into simulation type games start by using the console games and then decide they want something more serious. I think a console version of the iracing game would attract some of those people into the simulation game on the PC.

Only reason I built my PC was to run iracing. If there was a console option I would have went with that instead.

Man...this guy had a quite lengthy, detailed, and brutal review...

https://pretendracecars.net/2016/09/12/its-not-very-good-the-review-of-nascar-heat-evolution/

"The insane speeds modern NASCAR Cup cars are hitting in 2016 just aren’t present in NASCAR Heat Evolution, and as someone who’s got a copy of Dirt to Daytona sitting on the shelf, I can say with confidence that the developers literally just inserted new 3D models into the old set of car physics and called it a day. It’s difficult to touch 200 MPH at Daytona or Las Vegas, the cars are two whole seconds off pace at Bristol (17 seconds in game, 15 in real life) and Texas (29 seconds in game, 27 seconds in real life), and by some act of God I can hold the thing nearly wide-open around Atlanta Motor Speedway, touching 181 mph through the center of the corner when they’re down to the low 160’s in real life thanks to a notoriously difficult track surface and low downforce aerodynamics package. None of this sh!t exists in Heat Evolution, and it basically feels like I’m driving a 2002 Winston Cup car – because I probably am."
Sounds like Nascar 15 all over again... not worth me buying an Xbox one

I just finished playing it for 3 hours....

Pros:
  • AI is a HUUUGE improvement over all of the Eutechnyx games. No more riding on rails and brake-checking on the straights. AI cars also spin out and cause wrecks on their own.
  • Handling seems more realistic than previous games (if you have it on simulation mode). You can hold it wide open for a lap or so at most 1.5 mile tracks on new tires, and then the tires start to fall off. I had the "wide-open" problem at Atlanta and Texas that many are complaining about, but that was fixed once I switched to simulation mode. (If you have it on "normal" mode or whatever it's called, the game will automatically slow down for you and ensure you have maximum grip in the turns).
  • The upgrade system in career mode seems pretty cool so far.
  • Now you can actually check tire temperatures to help you build setups, plus you have a separate trackbar for the left and right side of the car. There are also many more incremental adjustments that can be made for nearly all facets of a car setup.
  • The soundtrack is decent.
Cons:
  • The sound effects are god awful and are an exact copy-and-paste from NASCAR Heat 2002. Pretty much everything about this game minus the tracks, paint schemes, and car handling are copied-and-pasted.
  • Crashes are super unrealistic, plus cautions seem to be completely random. You can spin someone out in front of a pack at Daytona and not have a caution come out even if 20 cars are involved.
  • The high line at every track seems to be very disadvantageous unless you are on completely different tire strategies than your competitors (This was also an issue in previous Heat games)
  • Pack racing gets too strung out too early from what I can tell, but I'll hold off judgement for now because I haven't raced them at maximum difficulty with a maximum track rating yet.
  • No custom paint booth
  • The interface is a mess and there are zero instructions about anything. Took me forever to find out how to switch to simulation mode and even create my own setups.
  • No multiple save slots for custom setups.
  • The camera view and mirror setting automatically switch to default after every race (this was also an issue in previous Heat games).
  • Practice mode in career mode is broken. Every time you return to your pit box, the timer automatically resets to 60 minutes. You also cannot tell how fast you are compared to the competition.
  • Unrealistic tire fall-off. It is there, but at tracks like Atlanta you can run 20 laps in this game without hardly any difference in lap times you ran on lap 1.
Overall, this game is already better than any of the Eutechnyx games. The actual gameplay is pretty good, but there's just a lot of minor tweaks that need to be made in order for me to say this is a great NASCAR game. The biggest things for me are completely revamping the sound & interface, plus having more realistic tire fall-off at tracks.

Overall, this game is already better than any of the Eutechnyx games. The actual gameplay is pretty good, but there's just a lot of minor tweaks that need to be made in order for me to say this is a great NASCAR game. The biggest things for me are completely revamping the sound & interface, plus having more realistic tire fall-off at tracks.

I've been out of the console market for a long time now, can the game be updated down the line thru the internet service? I have heard that they plan to release new paint schemes and things like that for $10 a pack or so. How would that content be delivered? I'm thinking they could deliver game updates the same way.

I've been out of the console market for a long time now, can the game be updated down the line thru the internet service? I have heard that they plan to release new paint schemes and things like that for $10 a pack or so. How would that content be delivered? I'm thinking they could deliver game updates the same way.
Yes. They will be offering DLC (downloadable content) for a small fee down the road, plus free patches (minor improvements to gameplay) if there are enough players who suggest certain improvements. The developers already said they will be fixing the tire smoke and some issues with the AI in the near future. You will have access to download all of this stuff as long as you have Playstation Plus or Xbox Live.

Yes games can have fixes and content added through patches like the PC. My PS4 will automatically download and install any available patches.

Is anyone able to tell me how in-depth career mode is?
I'm only 3 races into career mode. Basically, you start out racing at Kansas and Texas to see how you perform and that determines your sponsorship for the official start of your career. Then, you earn money and skill points every week depending on how you finish and who your sponsors are. You can use your money to purchase upgrades (I think there's about 25) for your team that improves horsepower, mechanical grip, aero grip, pit stops, etc. The better you finish and the more you level up your driver, the better sponsors and more fans you will receive. I am unsure if there is a maximum amount of seasons you can race in career mode. The EA NASCAR games had a limit of 20 seasons but the Eutechnyx games had unlimited seasons.

Yes. They will be offering DLC (downloadable content) for a small fee down the road, plus free patches (minor improvements to gameplay) if there are enough players who suggest certain improvements. The developers already said they will be fixing the tire smoke and some issues with the AI in the near future. You will have access to download all of this stuff as long as you have Playstation Plus or Xbox Live.

There is already 7 DLC packages available. 5 paid and 2 free. Mostly all are paint scheme related. I purchased it all. Game and DLC cost me $85.

Is anyone able to tell me how in-depth career mode is?
I'm at Phoenix in my career. Best finish was 22nd at Atlanta. It's tough so far. Seems like it'll take a while to build your car up. I'm loving it so far. You only have I think four numbers to chose from. 8, 36, 99 and 28 I think. No paint option.
You have to upgrade everything, including shop space to improve your car.
One disappointment for me is that the Duals at Daytona are not in the game. You just qualify and race.

I'm at Phoenix in my career. Best finish was 22nd at Atlanta. It's tough so far. Seems like it'll take a while to build your car up. I'm loving it so far. You only have I think four numbers to chose from. 8, 36, 99 and 28 I think. No paint option.
You have to upgrade everything, including shop space to improve your car.
One disappointment for me is that the Duals at Daytona are not in the game. You just qualify and race.
That's what makes this career mode fun. It is actually challenging and it is MUCH more difficult to win a fuel mileage race (in the Eutechnyx games you could just clutch your car through the corners most laps and have plenty of fuel to avoid pitting). I'm currently racing on Hard difficulty with 25% race length, full damage, simulation mode, and all flags active. It takes a lot of car tuning in practice sessions and determination to get a top-25 finish when you are basically a start-and-park car in the beginning of your career. In the Eutechnyx games I had no issue wining 30 races in my first year on the hardest difficulty setting lol.

Pros:
  • AI is a HUUUGE improvement over all of the Eutechnyx games. No more riding on rails and brake-checking on the straights. AI cars also spin out and cause wrecks on their own.
  • Handling seems more realistic than previous games (if you have it on simulation mode). You can hold it wide open for a lap or so at most 1.5 mile tracks on new tires, and then the tires start to fall off. I had the "wide-open" problem at Atlanta and Texas that many are complaining about, but that was fixed once I switched to simulation mode. (If you have it on "normal" mode or whatever it's called, the game will automatically slow down for you and ensure you have maximum grip in the turns).
  • Now you can actually check tire temperatures to help you build setups, plus you have a separate trackbar for the left and right side of the car. There are also many more incremental adjustments that can be made for nearly all facets of a car setup.
Cons:
  • The sound effects are god awful and are an exact copy-and-paste from NASCAR Heat 2002. Pretty much everything about this game minus the tracks, paint schemes, and car handling are copied-and-pasted.
  • Crashes are super unrealistic, plus cautions seem to be completely random. You can spin someone out in front of a pack at Daytona and not have a caution come out even if 20 cars are involved.
  • The high line at every track seems to be very disadvantageous unless you are on completely different tire strategies than your competitors (This was also an issue in previous Heat games)
  • Pack racing gets too strung out too early from what I can tell, but I'll hold off judgement for now because I haven't raced them at maximum difficulty with a maximum track rating yet.
  • No custom paint booth
  • The interface is a mess and there are zero instructions about anything. Took me forever to find out how to switch to simulation mode and even create my own setups.
  • The camera view and mirror setting automatically switch to default after every race (this was also an issue in previous Heat games).
  • Practice mode in career mode is broken. Every time you return to your pit box, the timer automatically resets to 60 minutes. You also cannot tell how fast you are compared to the competition.
  • Unrealistic tire fall-off. It is there, but at tracks like Atlanta you can run 20 laps in this game without hardly any difference in lap times you ran on lap 1.
How do you change settings?

How do you change settings?
For simulation mode, I think you go into "settings" on the main menu, go to "controls", and then hit "X" for "advanced settings". In most menus throughout the game there is fine print at the very bottom of the screen for more options...took me FOREVER to figure that out.

For settings in career mode, go to the main career mode screen and I think hit "X" again for "advanced options". The developers honestly could not have done a better job of hiding this stuff.

I'm going to buy it. It seems to have what I want. If I wanted full sim I'd do that. Playing this game will be fun.

Also, I don't expect the same quality as what one gets with Madden and other hugely popular games. NASCAR games are a much smaller market and I'm glad that this has been developed as well as it has.

I haven't gotten to play too much yet, but I'm really enjoying it. Is it NR2003? Probably not. But is it the best console nascar game in a decade? Probably so.

Man...this guy had a quite lengthy, detailed, and brutal review...

https://pretendracecars.net/2016/09/12/its-not-very-good-the-review-of-nascar-heat-evolution/

"The insane speeds modern NASCAR Cup cars are hitting in 2016 just aren’t present in NASCAR Heat Evolution, and as someone who’s got a copy of Dirt to Daytona sitting on the shelf, I can say with confidence that the developers literally just inserted new 3D models into the old set of car physics and called it a day. It’s difficult to touch 200 MPH at Daytona or Las Vegas, the cars are two whole seconds off pace at Bristol (17 seconds in game, 15 in real life) and Texas (29 seconds in game, 27 seconds in real life), and by some act of God I can hold the thing nearly wide-open around Atlanta Motor Speedway, touching 181 mph through the center of the corner when they’re down to the low 160’s in real life thanks to a notoriously difficult track surface and low downforce aerodynamics package. None of this sh!t exists in Heat Evolution, and it basically feels like I’m driving a 2002 Winston Cup car – because I probably am."

Well that's a bummer, and definitely a mark against the game. Usually arcade style racing games portray the cars as unrealistically fast for effect, not ploddingly slow.

But this guy seems to think that 2002 Cup cars were that much slower than today's. They were not. If true, and not just a result of your car starting out slow in career mode before upgrades, there is nothing to explain why the cars would be that slow,

I haven't gotten to play too much yet, but I'm really enjoying it. Is it NR2003? Probably not. But is it the best console nascar game in a decade? Probably so.

Yeah all the negativity is pissing me off. I think people are expecting a Nascar game that is as polished as iracing. Sorry you aren't going to get that from only 2 years of development. Need to take this game for what it is Nascar Console Racing 1.0 hopefully DMR learns from this and continues to grow and release better and better products.

Pros:
Cons:
  • No custom paint booth
Just played some more...

Lap times are much slower in career mode than in other game modes. I am pretty sure it is because the game compensates for you having a low track rating and speed rating if you have not previously raced any tracks prior to jumping into your career. A poster mentioned earlier that Bristol lap times were in the 17 second bracket. I noticed that too in career mode, but once I raced in "race now" mode and achieved a track rating of 105 with AI difficulty set to 105, the fastest race lap was set at 15.9 seconds....seems pretty realistic for a race pace. The same can be said about the plate tracks. In career mode, top speed was about 185, but in "race now" I reached a speed of 204 at Talladega once everything was maxed out. Aside from the top 3, the pack stayed glued together for the entire race too.

In short, the higher your speed rating at tracks and the higher the difficulty setting, the more realistic the game becomes. I now have a much higher appreciation for this game than I did a few hours ago. It is also SUPER challenging in simulation mode and it takes all of your concentration to not wreck every lap. I'm loving it.

These videos are worth watching for everyone who has or is considering getting the game. They are basically the instruction manuals that weren't included with the game..

Just played some more...

Lap times are much slower in career mode than in other game modes. I am pretty sure it is because the game compensates for you having a low track rating and speed rating if you have not previously raced any tracks prior to jumping into your career. A poster mentioned earlier that Bristol lap times were in the 17 second bracket. I noticed that too in career mode, but once I raced in "race now" mode and achieved a track rating of 105 with AI difficulty set to 105, the fastest race lap was set at 15.9 seconds....seems pretty realistic for a race pace. The same can be said about the plate tracks. In career mode, top speed was about 185, but in "race now" I reached a speed of 204 at Talladega once everything was maxed out. Aside from the top 3, the pack stayed glued together for the entire race too.

In short, the higher your speed rating at tracks and the higher the difficulty setting, the more realistic the game becomes. I now have a much higher appreciation for this game than I did a few hours ago. It is also SUPER challenging in simulation mode and it takes all of your concentration to not wreck every lap. I'm loving it.
I played for about 2 hours and had a blast! Simulation mode is insanely hard like you said.

Couple of questions. Is there any way to make the car drive tighter? Perhaps in the setup? I dropped the steering sensitivity all the way down and it's still extremely touchy, there's almost no margin for error in simulation mode if you have cars to your side. The other question I have is I did a quick 19 lap "race now" at Kansas and drove off to a 12 second lead in hardly no time. Is there any way to prevent that? I think the AI was set at 95 (maybe). I know the game cannot be that easy, I haven't played a racing game in years so I know it isn't me just being that good LOL.

Have a few hours logged onto the game on xbone

Long story short:

If you loved Dirt to Daytona, get this game. Its basically the Dirt to Daytona 2 we never got - but strictly just cup racing.

If you are expecting something comprable to iRacing, get your head out the clouds. Expecting any console racing platform to be on the same level as iRacing is ludicrous.

All in all, the main reason I have the game is for fun & to escape the real world for a few moments. Its fun.

Edit: Ive played countless hours of pCars with a controller no problemo.

In NHE, the car is virtually undrivable in sim mode with a controller.

That being said, the game devs are listening. I am looking forward to future updates that perfects the game.

I played for about 2 hours and had a blast! Simulation mode is insanely hard like you said.

Couple of questions. Is there any way to make the car drive tighter? Perhaps in the setup? I dropped the steering sensitivity all the way down and it's still extremely touchy, there's almost no margin for error in simulation mode if you have cars to your side. The other question I have is I did a quick 19 lap "race now" at Kansas and drove off to a 12 second lead in hardly no time. Is there any way to prevent that? I think the AI was set at 95 (maybe). I know the game cannot be that easy, I haven't played a racing game in years so I know it isn't me just being that good LOL.
In order to lessen steering sensitivity, you could lower the steering lock or steering offset in the car setup menu. Increasing front weight and ensuring your tire pressures and cambers are at an ideal setting will also help. (In order to check tire temperatures, run a practice session and hit the "B" button twice once you get on the track. The temperatures are located beneath the tire quality ratings for each tire. If the middle number is higher than the outside numbers, lower the tire pressure. If the middle number is lower than the outside numbers, raise the tire pressure. If the LF inside number is highest, add positive camber. If the RF inside number is highest, add negative camber. The first step to setting up your car is getting the inner, middle, and outer tire temperatures as close to even as possible with the left-side temps on all tires being ever so slightly higher than the rest).

The reason you won so handily was probably because your speed rating at the track was at zero. It will be much more difficult the next time you race there since you in all likelihood achieved a speed rating of at least 100 since you won the race.

Last edited:
In NHE, the car is virtually undrivable in sim mode with a controller.
Lowering the steering offset setting in the car setup menu will help tremendously if you are using a controller. But I agree...simulation mode was designed for steering wheels much like the previous Heat games. It just takes time to get used to wheeling a heavy stock car on slick tires around a track with a controller.

Lowering the steering offset setting in the car setup menu will help tremendously if you are using a controller. But I agree...simulation mode was designed for steering wheels much like the previous Heat games. It just takes time to get used to wheeling a heavy stock car on slick tires around a track with a controller.
I hear you, but I had the steering sensitivity at its lowest & I still cant turn under another car on the straights without losing it. Am I missing any other steering settings?

I know in pcars theres like 8 diff settings that I adjusted to get it right for a controller. Im hoping something similar is created/updated for NHE.

I hear you, but I had the steering sensitivity at its lowest & I still cant turn under another car on the straights without losing it. Am I missing any other steering settings?
There is a difference between lowering the steering sensitivity in the options menu and lowering the other settings I listed above which are located in the car setup menu. Just wanting to confirm you lowered those settings too. If you did, you may want to raise the left rear springs and lower the left side weight. If that doesn't help, the only other advice I can provide you is to be VERY gentle with your movements on the controller. I have also played Project Cars, but this game (and all other Heat games) are much more hardcore in simulation mode. It will take tons of practice to become a great driver much like real life. That really is the point of simulation mode....some love the challenge but most hate it.

Is the sim setting in the career mode?

There is a difference between lowering the steering sensitivity in the options menu and lowering the other settings I listed above which are located in the car setup menu. Just wanting to confirm you lowered those settings too. If you did, you may want to raise the left rear springs and lower the left side weight. If that doesn't help, the only other advice I can provide you is to be VERY gentle with your movements on the controller. I have also played Project Cars, but this game (and all other Heat games) are much more hardcore in simulation mode. It will take tons of practice to become a great driver much like real life. That really is the point of simulation mode....some love the challenge but most hate it.
Thanks, sounds like I missed some settings - I just now figured out how to get into the garage menu. Totally overlooked it. Helped a ton haha. Awesome sauce!

Dont get me wrong, I spent like a week fooling around with pcars until I got all the adjustments right. I look forward to doing the same with NHE.

To get into sim mode, go into settings at the main menu & open "advanced settings".

You can race career in any mode you like
Thanks , hopefully will be picking the game up this weekend.

Been playing online and already got some asshat that decided it would be fun to drive the track backwards and wreck people

AI and Simulation Mode is fun as hell, the pack actually spreads out so you're not either easily dominating or struggling in 40th like it felt some of the ETX games. Lack of features however is annoying and isn't worth the $60. If NASCAR '15 had this AI and Sim Physics I wouldn't have stopped playing it.

Career Mode looks bare bones and I probably won't bother as I'd rather race as Elliot or Larson in Championship than "myself" in a car I can't even design...

Overall, fun so far.

Pros:
Cons:
  • No custom paint booth

The random caution aspect sounds true to form as random cautions or no cautions for legitmate reasons happen in the actual series.

Back
Top Bottom