NASCAR IS AWESOME THREAD

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
So, I love this sport. This is a thread to gush about how awesome it is because it is awesome. I am sure that smart asses will slither in, but I would like to see this as an obsessively positive place to be.....

I will start....The Playoffs are absolutely perfect. I mean it. We have a playoff season. Building anticipation. Strategy has changed in the last 10 weeks. We celebrate the drivers who make it with hats and t-shirts....and a regular season champion that is justly rewarded with an advantage within the system. I find these 10 weeks to be compelling and awesome. I will acknowledge that a one race--winner take all is open to scrutiny, but I don't give a ****. It works and it is awesome. I was in Phoenix last year, and the atmosphere is absolutely electric. Love this stuff!

This is your opinion and not a fact.
So is the OPINION of the original poster. I merely countered with a different OPINION, and if you are truly honest with yourself, you KNOW that the two reasons I gave are PRECISELY why the networks wanted it and why NASCAR was so happy to oblige. Neither may be true in your personal case, but the reality, or at least the perception of it is why we HAVE a playoffs. Organic drama and excitement wasn't enough, so they decided to manufacture some, and then people get all worked up about NBC feeding into that very drama. Make up your minds folks...

anysport has its fans and its detractors. Also just because you criticize doesnt make you less of a fan - in, JMHO, it actually it shows you care

I'm a fan of stock car racing, whether it's the street stock at my local track, or NASCAR Cup series. There are some things that NASCAR does better, and there are things that they could improved upon. The playoffs, stage points, the stage breaks, etc. They all have their pluses and minuses and I can say the same thing about the ARCA Series, or my personal favorite the CARS Tour series. I will admit that I don't think we would've gotten the Hail Melon and similar moments like that without The Playoffs.

I also like dirt racing because the track is always changing, no two laps are the same, and to watch those 410 Sprint Cars go screaming around the track with 900 horses and a bare bone chassis gets my blood pumping and it gets me standing up in the stands yelling and cheering! I would definitely say that watching a race in person vs. watching it on TV hits different. There's different energy when you're in the grandstand vs watching it on TV.

I
So is the OPINION of the original poster. I merely countered with a different OPINION, and if you are truly honest with yourself, you KNOW that the two reasons I gave are PRECISELY why the networks wanted it and why NASCAR was so happy to oblige. Neither may be true in your personal case, but the reality, or at least the perception of it is why we HAVE a playoffs. Organic drama and excitement wasn't enough, so they decided to manufacture some, and then people get all worked up about NBC feeding into that very drama. Make up your minds folks...

How can you call it an opinion when you first called it a fact and then changed your post? Some real BS going on after the fact.

I watched my first NASCAR race in 2003, the Pepsi 400 that Greg Biffle won. It was his first win. I've been hooked ever since. When I was in second grade (2002 ish), my best friend talked to me about NASCAR & gave me a copy of the 2000 standings.

I didn't have a favorite driver in '03. I started looking at good rookie seasons & stumbled upon Tony Stewart. That's how he became my guy.

I think NASCAR is headed in the right direction. The new car has flaws, just like new things do. What I like the most about the new NASCAR is the safety aspect. We've seen some nasty wrecks that would've been fatal 20 years ago.

The playoff system is great, it adds excitement to an already exciting sport.

I

How can you call it an opinion when you first called it a fact and then changed your post? Some real BS going on after the fact.
Exactly where did I call anything a fact, and what did I change? I have no idea what you're trying to say.

My favorite race is the next one. My favorite driver is whoever beats Hambone Hamlin. The only thing I have every hated about NASCAR is the C.O.T. That was a horrible car.

Yeah, I like Nascar racing.

2016021895182206_resized.jpg
comming to the green at atlanta 2016-2.jpg
Road Course 2.jpg
Comming to the green atlanta 2016.jpg
20170629_133829_resized.jpg
20170630_152249_resized.jpg
20170701_113522_resized.jpg
our seats 1.jpg
Race start.jpg
#1 Ross  Martinsville wall car.jpg

I watched my first NASCAR race in 2003, the Pepsi 400 that Greg Biffle won. It was his first win. I've been hooked ever since. When I was in second grade (2002 ish), my best friend talked to me about NASCAR & gave me a copy of the 2000 standings.

I didn't have a favorite driver in '03. I started looking at good rookie seasons & stumbled upon Tony Stewart. That's how he became my guy.

I think NASCAR is headed in the right direction. The new car has flaws, just like new things do. What I like the most about the new NASCAR is the safety aspect. We've seen some nasty wrecks that would've been fatal 20 years ago.

The playoff system is great, it adds excitement to an already exciting sport.
2003 for first race..........you're a young PUP!!

late 70's for first race on TV I watched...............I remember it being on ABC's Wide World of sports
1986 was first live race at Richmond............Smelled the fumes on first parade lap and was hooked............. been to over 60 in person

anyone else have earlier memories?

late 70's for first race on TV I watched...............I remember it being on ABC's Wide World of sports
1986 was first live race at Richmond............Smelled the fumes on first parade lap and was hooked............. been to over 60 in person

My first racing memory was listening to the ill- fated 1973 Indy 500 on the radio. My first at track experience was 1977 Indy 500 Pole Day. My first stock car race was an ASA race circa 1978-79. First Cup race in person was the August 1983 Michigan race. Cale won in the Hardees Monte Carlo SS.

I’ve been watching this sport since before I can remember, when I was in kindergarten around 2000-2001 I could tell you every driver and their number. Had every die cast, watched every race and have watched damn near every race since then. I love this sport with everything in me and follow it religiously.

I’m not big on the current format, I think it should be the original chase format. Also, “playoffs” are f’n stupid, call it the chase like it’s supposed to be called.

Also bring back Rockingham please and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I guess I’m older! My first NASCAR race was in 1970 at Hickory Motor Speedway (yes an official Winston Cup race back when they ran an expanded schedule). Bobby Issac (my local hero as an 11 year old) won that event. I listened to races every Sunday on the radio, and eventually got to other live events at Darlington, Charlotte, Rockingham and North Wilkesboro. Later in my adult years I’ve attended a number of races at Daytona and Homestead. Also we went to Phoenix prior to the renovation. Wife and I need to get to a lot more tracks before I can’t climb those steps anymore.

Love NASCAR racing. It’s in my blood. As a southern born farm kid from Catawba County who loved muscle cars, oval racing was OUR major league sport. Still love it throughout the changes, because it hasn’t completely become a “rich kids club” yet. As long as guys like Ross Chastain can find a way to claw into the sport and win, in gasoline powered cars, I’m a fan.

My first race was a 1971 Cup (was called Winston Grand National at the time of the)race at Greenville Pickens Speedway. I do not think it was the famed Wide World of Sports broadcast. It was a night race and I was to wound up as 9 year old to listen to any gerbiling going on , we were also parked on the back stretch as well so who knows.

During practice Wendall Scott spun in front of us kids, and while he was backing up to get going he saw us kids and waved, and oh yes that was a big deal. I didn't know anything about him or his significance at the time. I just knew the driver in the #34 waved at us. When it came to races and growing up I had the photographic memory for the races and I never forgot those moments.

Petty led the first half and then had a issue the front wheel bearing. Bobby Isaac won in the K&K Dodge with crew cheif Harry Hyde

The second race I attended was also in 1971 at GPS it was 200 lap LMS race. Jack Ingram won it in a 1955 Chevrolet. The Brown # 11 was instant classic stuff for me.

The first weekly race I saw was won by Butch Lindley. He was # 16 at the time but it was a blue 1957 Cheverolet.

He won the 1972 track championships in a 1964 Chevelle. The was the first year he ran the famed #16 red or orange color paint schemes.
Jack Ingram and Butch Lindley were the local heroes and bigger than life.

I started listening to the GN or Cup races in 1971 on MRN. I never mised a race. If we were traveling to and from my grandparents house in Georgia everybody in the family had to listen as we traveled I85.

The first big track I went to was in 1978 for the World 600. DW won that race..

The only thing I'll say is that I cant imagine my Sunday's without Cup Racing.

not the best time of year for me
Honestly, I'm ALWAYS ready for a break from the action. By the time the finale hits, I just want it to be OVER for a while. If one of my drivers is going to win the title, I want it to end before they can lose it, and if they are not going to win, I want to get the season over with and look forward to next year. It gets me recharged and excited about the upcoming season. As I have said MANY times, I would cut back to 30 races in a heartbeat. I feel the exact same way about most other sports. Less can be more. When you factor in Xfinity, Trucks, Indycar and IMSA, it's a LONG season for me. Sometimes it's just nice on a cold Sunday afternoon in January to just read a book or watch a movie, or not plan your whole weekend around a DVR.

Wow, I guess I’m older! My first NASCAR race was in 1970 at Hickory Motor Speedway (yes an official Winston Cup race back when they ran an expanded schedule). Bobby Issac (my local hero as an 11 year old) won that event. I listened to races every Sunday on the radio, and eventually got to other live events at Darlington, Charlotte, Rockingham and North Wilkesboro. Later in my adult years I’ve attended a number of races at Daytona and Homestead. Also we went to Phoenix prior to the renovation. Wife and I need to get to a lot more tracks before I can’t climb those steps anymore.

Love NASCAR racing. It’s in my blood. As a southern born farm kid from Catawba County who loved muscle cars, oval racing was OUR major league sport. Still love it throughout the changes, because it hasn’t completely become a “rich kids club” yet. As long as guys like Ross Chastain can find a way to claw into the sport and win, in gasoline powered cars, I’m a fan.
I have been to a lot of races during my life and I think the old Busch Grand National at Hickory were some of the best races I ever saw anywhere if not the very best.

30 something cars and the intensity was incredible. It was glorious.

Unfortunately geography and finances prevented me from getting to my first race until the 80’s. I’m grateful to ESPN for broadcasting the races back then though. I learned a lot by watching Bob, Ned & Benny as they will always be the gold standard for me.

NASCAR has greatly frustrated me with a lot of its decision making but I don’t dwell on it. I would still love to go to the track but my mobility is limited and I have no one to go with. If the Lord is willing I’ll be in front of my TV watching the next race!

Honestly, I'm ALWAYS ready for a break from the action. By the time the finale hits, I just want it to be OVER for a while. If one of my drivers is going to win the title, I want it to end before they can lose it, and if they are not going to win, I want to get the season over with and look forward to next year. It gets me recharged and excited about the upcoming season. As I have said MANY times, I would cut back to 30 races in a heartbeat. I feel the exact same way about most other sports. Less can be more. When you factor in Xfinity, Trucks, Indycar and IMSA, it's a LONG season for me. Sometimes it's just nice on a cold Sunday afternoon in January to just read a book or watch a movie, or not plan your whole weekend around a DVR.
It is nice to take a break even from the things we like as it makes us like it even more.

NASCAR is awesome and I will be present and accounted for no matter the format. Even if they hypothetically decided to become a Formula E offshoot, I would still begrudgingly watch.

I will start....The Playoffs are absolutely perfect. I mean it. We have a playoff season. Building anticipation. Strategy has changed in the last 10 weeks. We celebrate the drivers who make it with hats and t-shirts....and a regular season champion that is justly rewarded with an advantage within the system. I find these 10 weeks to be compelling and awesome. I will acknowledge that a one race--winner take all is open to scrutiny, but I don't give a ****. It works and it is awesome. I was in Phoenix last year, and the atmosphere is absolutely electric. Love this stuff!
Playoffs still need some major tweaking, and they're broken. But the idea is there, and combining today's system with the 10 race Chase would be better.

Here's what I propose to crown a more deserving playoff champion.

Shrink the playoff field down to 10. Eliminate win and your in. Run the first 26 races as is. 5 playoff points for a win, 1 playoff point for a stage win...

AND 1 PLAYOFF POINT FOR LEADING THE MOST LAPS, HELLO?

Regular season champ gets 30 bonus playoff points, 2nd gets 15, 3rd gets 10, 4th gets 5, 5th gets 4 etc.

Points reset, and the 10 driver field is seeded per usual.

Now we simply have a 10 race mini season. Except playoff points become "bonus" points. 5 bonus points for winning, 1 for a stage win, 1 for leading the most laps.

There's your champion.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank God for NASCAR because as a Chargers fan, Sundays are painful without it. I don’t like any other sports either. I still remember how painful the last Olympic break was and I’m not looking forward to it in 2024.

Since the first time my Dad and Granddad took me to the race track in 1973 I've been hooked. I love NASCAR racing and that will never change. Its the best sport of all time and no matter what rule change, car change, TV change, Radio change, driver change, track change, fan change, viewing change, tire change, engine change, spindle change, rocker arm change, spare change......... it will remain the reason for some of the best times of my life.

Back
Top Bottom