Nascar is hypocritical

Nascar took a race win from Ricky Rudd and gave the win to Davey Allison, but allowed Dale Earnhardt to wreck Terry Labonte with no penalty. Matt Kenneth was suspended for wrecking Joey Logan because it was retaliation. Sunday Austin Dillon purposefully wrecked Aric Almirola, he said as much in post race interview, got a big run and didn’t lift. Grandad was so proud he told him that’s the way to want to win. Dillon wrecked him in the first degree, he meant to do it so why does Nascar penalize sometimes and doesn’t other times?
Dillon didn't wreck Aric. Aric decided to block a fast moving train and couldn't control his car when he got run over.
Blocking is what Brad was doing by moving lane to lane changing the run each line as he did so. What drivers were doing on Sunday was stepping in front of the bus and expecting the bus to stop. Dillon help his line and let his momentum remove Aric.
Big difference.

Refresh my memory, Did Earnhardt throw the block? I think he did. I think he blocked Marlin and he got turned.

He was driving a Childress car while blocking all three lines letting the two DEI cars with Mikey and Jr pull away from the pack on the last lap of the Daytona 500.

Not sure about those other examples but the Kenseth thing was because he was laps down with a car that shouldn't even have been on the track.

This was racing for a win.

Refresh my memory, Did Earnhardt throw the block? I think he did. I think he blocked Marlin and he got turned.
Yes. Basically what happened to Aric on Sunday, although Aric didn't really throw a block, Dillon blew right through him

Not sure about those other examples but the Kenseth thing was because he was laps down with a car that shouldn't even have been on the track.

This was racing for a win.
Nascar should have given them both a car, took them to one of the little fish bowl tracks and let them settle it. Death match, winner gets to keep going in the playoffs

EP-140728728.jpg&updated=201407272022&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder

Had Dillon kept pushing Almirola straight he wouldn’t have wrecked, he went across his rear bumper that’s what turned him.
I believe restrictor plates were put out n because Bobby Allison almost got up in the stands, so Nascar said we have to keep the cars at 200 or under to keep them on the ground so fans wouldn’t get killed, so back the fans up farther from the track.

yeah move the grandstands back. Right after they spent 400 million bucks remodeling the place.

Had Dillon kept pushing Almirola straight he wouldn’t have wrecked, he went across his rear bumper that’s what turned him.
I believe restrictor plates were put out n because Bobby Allison almost got up in the stands, so Nascar said we have to keep the cars at 200 or under to keep them on the ground so fans wouldn’t get killed, so back the fans up farther from the track.

You know how fast they run at Michigan? Lol they’re corner entry speeds are 215-220, I can only imagine what restrictor less engines could do at Daytona and Talledega.

I’m okay with the slowing down for safety, we’ve seen far too many Indy guys die over the last few years. We don’t need 235 into corners with a car this heavy

You know how fast they run at Michigan? Lol they’re corner entry speeds are 215-220, I can only imagine what restrictor less engines could do at Daytona and Talledega.

I’m okay with the slowing down for safety, we’ve seen far too many Indy guys die over the last few years. We don’t need 235 into corners with a car this heavy
Lower the banking to 18 degrees...solves the problem.

Nascar took a race win from Ricky Rudd and gave the win to Davey Allison, but allowed Dale Earnhardt to wreck Terry Labonte with no penalty. Matt Kenneth was suspended for wrecking Joey Logan because it was retaliation. Sunday Austin Dillon purposefully wrecked Aric Almirola, he said as much in post race interview, got a big run and didn’t lift. Grandad was so proud he told him that’s the way to want to win. Dillon wrecked him in the first degree, he meant to do it so why does Nascar penalize sometimes and doesn’t other times?

I don't agree with everything Nascar does, but expecting consistency over such a wide array of issues is an impossible demand.
I wish Almirola could have won, but not that way.

Conditions evolve. BTW I think taking the win from Rudd was a mistake, and it didn't need to be repeated yesterday.
I wish

yeah move the grandstands back. Right after they spent 400 million bucks remodeling the place.

The fact that multiple massive renovations and a repaving have taken place at Daytona since 1988 without any meaningful changes to the track's configuration indicate that there is no desire to reduce corner speeds and the need for the plates. I believe the plates began as a necessity, but were quickly seized on as a permanent fixture because pack racing proved to be popular. That's the reality, and defenders of the status quo should just embrace that NASCAR wants it this way and not claim that no change has been possible for 30 years. They obviously are not going away, but that is deliberate and conscious choice.

The fact that multiple massive renovations and a repaving have taken place at Daytona since 1988 without any meaningful changes to the track's configuration indicate that there is no desire to reduce corner speeds and the need for the plates. I believe the plates began as a necessity, but were quickly seized on as a permanent fixture because pack racing proved to be popular. That's the reality, and defenders of the status quo should just embrace that NASCAR wants it this way and not claim that no change has been possible for 30 years. They obviously not going away, but that is deliberate and conscious choice.

no sheet, that is why it always is comical every year. Rant and rave..ain't nothing changin..don't watch, start the season a week later at Atlanta, no big deal.

on another note, listen to the whiners like Bruton Smith did and change the Bristol track.

BTW I think taking the win from Rudd was a mistake, and it didn't need to be repeated yesterday.

I watched a documentary once, possibly on ESPN, in which some NASCAR higher ups basically admitted that it was a mistake.

no sheet, that is why it always is comical every year. Rant and rave..ain't nothing changin..don't watch, start the season a week later at Atlanta, no big deal.

Yep, that is basically what I do, and why I didn't watch or post yesterday during the race. It's a tad more difficult when it involves the most prestigious race in the series. The other plate races come and go and I don't give a hoot.

The fact that multiple massive renovations and a repaving have taken place at Daytona since 1988 without any meaningful changes to the track's configuration indicate that there is no desire to reduce corner speeds and the need for the plates. I believe the plates began as a necessity, but were quickly seized on as a permanent fixture because pack racing proved to be popular. That's the reality, and defenders of the status quo should just embrace that NASCAR wants it this way and not claim that no change has been possible for 30 years. They obviously are not going away, but that is deliberate and conscious choice.
Oh heavens yes. If there was some kind will to change the track config it could have been done in the 80's and 90's. Heck they probably spent more time dicking around with plates and spacers they could have repaved a new config 2-3 times.
on another note, listen to the whiners like Bruton Smith did and change the Bristol track.
Hey there not so fast on that one. Everyone liked how Bristol was and packing the place out but Bruton had a brain fart and decided it needed changed. With the plate tracks people want it changed so plates dont have to be used. Big difference wouldnt you say?

Hey there not so fast on that one. Everyone liked how Bristol was and packing the place out but Bruton had a brain fart and decided it needed changed. With the plate tracks people want it changed so plates dont have to be used. Big difference wouldnt you say?

He changed it back after the fans complained..But IMO the racing was better with the progressive banking. He should have left it, wouldn't have made any difference in the long run. Plates aren't going away. don't watch what is what you said you did, be part of the lost fan for plate tracks, practice what you preach is a good thing, be happy.

The only way they will be able to break up pack racing is to make them lift in the corners. Lowering the banking might do it but that probably won't happen.

How long have you been watching? Wrecks like Sunday have been happening for 30 years.
I've been watching since the late 70's. That doesn't mean I have to like the wrecks. I keep hoping they will do something to stop the bleeding, but all they do is aggravate the issue.

He changed it back after the fans complained..But IMO the racing was better with the progressive banking. He should have left it, wouldn't have made any difference in the long run. Plates aren't going away. don't watch what is what you said you did, be part of the lost fan for plate tracks, practice what you preach is a good thing, be happy.

You are agreeing with me 100%. No one asked Bruton to change Bristol and he did. Some people would like plate tracks to have less banking and track owners dont seem to have any notion to change. I wouldnt change them if it were up to me as the 4 plate races are well attended and lotsa people watch at home.

I agree that Bristol would not have gained or lost any fans whether they left it alone or changed it. As for the other stuff I dont know where youre coming from as plate racing is not my favorite but I don't hate it. I watch the first stage of the 500 and thought it was good but that was enough for me. I didnt rate the 500 on the rate thread seeing I only saw part of it. I would have given what I saw a 7 which means good. You must of read something someone else wrote and thought it was me. Its all good.

I've been watching since the late 70's. That doesn't mean I have to like the wrecks. I keep hoping they will do something to stop the bleeding, but all they do is aggravate the issue.
band aid after bandaid, but it doesn't stop the bleeding.

Yeah had this been any other track that's not a plate track I can see the problem, but really you don't got much time to lift at these tracks or else you'll likely lose. Like if this happened next week I'd be saying AD was a prick for it cause he could have found a better way around. If this was a short track I'd surely say it, and mention he could have just pulled a bump and run. Daytona or Talladega you can't lift, surely on the last lap.
Back in the Petty, Pearson days they didn't block, anyone remember the sling shot at the end of the races? They raced !

My 2 cents but I think a person could drive himself mad trying to figure out how Nascar applies its rules. Not saying it is right but to be a Nascar fan you just have to let a lot of stuff go and concentrate on the things you like.
You said it best. This happens in every sport; NASCAR is not an exception. Questionable calls are made all of the time, and people's faces will turn blue arguing about what the right call is. Give and take. It's like that one relative who you can't stand because they hardly allow you to speak your mind on certain issues, but at the same time you guys also get along well enough to keep things going.

Back
Top Bottom