Nascar is hypocritical

CalTenn

Team Owner
Nascar took a race win from Ricky Rudd and gave the win to Davey Allison, but allowed Dale Earnhardt to wreck Terry Labonte with no penalty. Matt Kenneth was suspended for wrecking Joey Logan because it was retaliation. Sunday Austin Dillon purposefully wrecked Aric Almirola, he said as much in post race interview, got a big run and didn’t lift. Grandad was so proud he told him that’s the way to want to win. Dillon wrecked him in the first degree, he meant to do it so why does Nascar penalize sometimes and doesn’t other times?

Because it's restrictor plate racing, and anything goes. NASCAR is just giving 75% of the fans what they want. The more wrecks the better, ESPECIALLY if they are for the win.

My 2 cents but I think a person could drive himself mad trying to figure out how Nascar applies its rules. Not saying it is right but to be a Nascar fan you just have to let a lot of stuff go and concentrate on the things you like.

I’m surprised they let it go on an RP track given the speeds. If that is allowed,it’s sets a dangerous precedent. It looked pretty blatant the way he raked that pointed nose across Aric’s back bumper a couple times after he bumped into him.

Reactions: sdj
I used to hate that SR got all the calls, or what felt like it. atomic punk is right, take what you like, leave what you dont...and come to RF to complain about it :p

Consistency from Nascar is a joke, I enjoy racing and will continue to watch. I believe if the roles were reversed Dillon would not have handled it as well as Almirola did, Dillon sure was proud of himself.

at a local short track the one that bump the front runner out of the way would have been sent to the tail

Yes, but NASCAR has created a situation where you have little choice but to drive like an A-hole if you want to win, so I am done blaming the drivers. I put 100% of the blame squarely on NASCAR. It's obvious to me that this sort of driving is EXACTLY what they want, so from here on out, I will no longer find fault with ANY move a driver makes at a plate track, no matter HOW absurd. If Stenhouse was driving a Chevy, he'd be my new hero.....

Local short tracks wouldn't allow that crap that nascar has done from last night. Ridiculous!

I see why fans enjoy plate races, tight racing and big wrecks, but they have created an environment unsafe for drivers. Chase Elliiotts wreck was very simalar to the one that killed Dale senior. If the racing continues this way someone will get killed.

With all the safety equipment, and how these cars are built, I'd say it very hard to get really hurt. Now, that's a very good thing, but it breeds aggressive racing. The only consequence is a beat up car, and the big teams can afford to build another. No way to get hurt means racing like Chase and Blaney did

the youngsters are going to race hard, make mistakes, take chances and wreck. Some fans need big boy panties for the changes in drivers or join the church lady squad. Some of them need to know the difference between plate racing, road races, short track, and the intermediates. They all race differently and they all use different cars.

With all the safety equipment, and how these cars are built, I'd say it very hard to get really hurt. Now, that's a very good thing, but it breeds aggressive racing. The only consequence is a beat up car, and the big teams can afford to build another. No way to get hurt means racing like Chase and Blaney did
o_O

The safety equipment didn't prevent Almirola from a broken back last year. Racing is safer but it isn't safe.

I see why fans enjoy plate races, tight racing and big wrecks, but they have created an environment unsafe for drivers. Chase Elliiotts wreck was very simalar to the one that killed Dale senior. If the racing continues this way someone will get killed.

Safest cars in racing and they know the risk involved in racing. If you are worried about a death watch a safer sport.

Blocking the way they do at the plate tracks would not be tolerated on another track. On the last lap of a plate race the drivers can't let up or they will be run over. I was cheering for Almirola but I could see that Dillon had a good run and Almirola should have stayed with Denny - but that had consequences too.

dude change your avatar. teacher will not be impressed

I hear bad mitten and croquet are pretty safe..might have problems with the name BaaD Mitten.. bad.
My father broke the nose of his doubles partner playing badminton. He hit him across the face with the racket while reaching back for an overhead shot. :D

Blocking the way they do at the plate tracks would not be tolerated on another track. On the last lap of a plate race the drivers can't let up or they will be run over. I was cheering for Almirola but I could see that Dillon had a good run and Almirola should have stayed with Denny - but that had consequences too.

Yeah had this been any other track that's not a plate track I can see the problem, but really you don't got much time to lift at these tracks or else you'll likely lose. Like if this happened next week I'd be saying AD was a prick for it cause he could have found a better way around. If this was a short track I'd surely say it, and mention he could have just pulled a bump and run. Daytona or Talladega you can't lift, surely on the last lap.

It's pretty obvious Nascar has had no intentions of penalizing guys for wrecking others for several years, no matter what track they are on. They proved that last year at Martinsville with Hamlin/Elliott plus Kenseth/Logano, Edwards/BK at Atlanta and several others. Anyone that grew up or raced at local short tracks has got to be disgusted. You do that at local tracks and you are black flagged, probably for a few races. On the other hand, blocking is not racing either and is the norm in Nascar. This is not real racing any longer, it's all about the show and wrecking is part of it whether intentional or not. Not sure how much longer I can watch this garbage with constant rules changes and the 'wreckin' is racin' mentality.

Yes, but NASCAR has created a situation where you have little choice but to drive like an A-hole if you want to win, so I am done blaming the drivers. I put 100% of the blame squarely on NASCAR. It's obvious to me that this sort of driving is EXACTLY what they want, so from here on out, I will no longer find fault with ANY move a driver makes at a plate track, no matter HOW absurd. If Stenhouse was driving a Chevy, he'd be my new hero.....
THIS

Per your statement: No way to get hurt = o_O You got to be kidding.
What Dillon did to Almirola would've killed someone back in the day, hell, maybe even 12-15 years ago. These cars are ridiculously safe

What Dillon did to Almirola would've killed someone back in the day, hell, maybe even 12-15 years ago. These cars are ridiculously safe

Yep, they are so safe Almirola dang near broke his back last year. I agree the cars are much safer than they used to be, but, to say you can't get hurt is just not correct.

Yep, they are so safe Almirola dang near broke his back last year. I agree the cars are much safer than they used to be, but, to say you can't get hurt is just not correct.
Plus concussions. You can wrap the car and driver in bubblewrap, and it won’t lessen the risk.

All I'm saying is, the last national series death in NASCAR was big E. After that happened, those plate races calmed wayyyyyy down. I remember Bobby Hamilton collapsing in victory lane after a caution-free Talladega race because those guys were scared. They thought they could be the next 3 car in the wall head on. We saw like 5 cars go head on into the wall yesterday and everyone walked away. Blocks were being thrown like crazy. A block like that killed Earnhardt. They're racing without fear

I believe he did, not half in two, but he crushed some vertebra..almost paralyzed, but yeah they are safer and being made more so every year. The did some strengthening in the lower pan, and the new cameras they have this year are going to record the event so they can see what the damages are to make the cars even more safer.

Cars are safe let’s get rid of the restrictor plate and see what they can do. Back the fans up and let them run 250 mph that would be good of course there would be no more pack racing.

Nascar has a lot of good safety things going with the car and soft walls and stuff. Just me 2 cents but plate racing seems like a disaster waiting to happen but Im guessing Nascar thinks they did the best they could to make it safe and thats it.

^^ Back the fans up?

Wouldn’t that be rather impractical?

It's pretty obvious Nascar has had no intentions of penalizing guys for wrecking others for several years, no matter what track they are on. They proved that last year at Martinsville with Hamlin/Elliott plus Kenseth/Logano, Edwards/BK at Atlanta and several others. Anyone that grew up or raced at local short tracks has got to be disgusted. You do that at local tracks and you are black flagged, probably for a few races. On the other hand, blocking is not racing either and is the norm in Nascar. This is not real racing any longer, it's all about the show and wrecking is part of it whether intentional or not. Not sure how much longer I can watch this garbage with constant rules changes and the 'wreckin' is racin' mentality.
How long have you been watching? Wrecks like Sunday have been happening for 30 years.

Though perhaps never explicitly, NASCAR has practically acknowledged through the years that the Rudd / Allison call was a mistake and would not be called that way again. It was of course a ridiculous decision given the way they have resolved racing incidents before and since.

The problem with NASCAR officiating is not that bad judgment calls are made occasionally. Officials are human, that happens. The problem is that they tend not to be accountable after such occurrences, preferring to cover up and pretend that evolving standards have never changed and that they reserve rhe right to call every incident as they choose with unclear rules and precedents.

All I'm saying is, the last national series death in NASCAR was big E. After that happened, those plate races calmed wayyyyyy down. I remember Bobby Hamilton collapsing in victory lane after a caution-free Talladega race because those guys were scared. They thought they could be the next 3 car in the wall head on. We saw like 5 cars go head on into the wall yesterday and everyone walked away. Blocks were being thrown like crazy. A block like that killed Earnhardt. They're racing without fear

Refresh my memory, Did Earnhardt throw the block? I think he did. I think he blocked Marlin and he got turned.

Back
Top Bottom