NASCAR is struggling to adapt to a changing sports climate

A very interesting read, dpk.

"Specifically, as ratings plummeted during the schedule’s second half of the season, NBC Sports executives went to NASCAR multiple times offering suggestions on how to better promote the product. One meeting held the week of the Cup Series awards banquet in December was described as “heated” by multiple sources."

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during this discussion.

So it sounds like Midweek races are going to be a thing by 2018 and NBC has NASCAR by the balls. The downside of signing a huge TV contract I guess is if things don't go well for the networks they can come in and run the show how they want. I actually feel bad for Brian in this situation.

A very interesting read,
There is a lot of information in there on several different fronts. Certainly struggles ahead. I just hope they are somehow able to increase the audience in a way without alienating its core. Like was said in one part, they are taking swings. Thing is, you only get so many of those before you're out.

“There are so many things to be positive about, I really believe that,” a team executive told SB Nation on the condition of anonymity. “But all these negatives are biggies, and unless we find some real solutions, I don’t know. I’m concerned.”

An all encompassing and decent article if you take the time to read it. Kinda long for today's fan's I'm guessing. :rolleyes:
I had to set a 60-second timer to help break it up for me.

"Specifically, as ratings plummeted during the schedule’s second half of the season, NBC Sports executives went to NASCAR multiple times offering suggestions on how to better promote the product. One meeting held the week of the Cup Series awards banquet in December was described as “heated” by multiple sources."

It's amazing we are two years into a ten-year TV deal and one of the TV partners is already getting frustrated.

So it sounds like Midweek races are going to be a thing by 2018 and NBC has NASCAR by the balls. The downside of signing a huge TV contract I guess is if things don't go well for the networks they can come in and run the show how they want. I actually feel bad for Brian in this situation.
That's one change I don't think I'd mind as right now the summer stretch of races is usually a horrible bore. Getting some better venues in there when the only other thing going on is MLB (some NHL/NBA playoff games in June too) might turn out well.

That is what stuck out to me as the other issues were already known and I would have loved to have been a fellow fly on the wall.

I had to set a 60-second timer to help break it up for me.

I did a few heat sentences followed by a bogus caution just to get through the first half. It was nice to be reminded that Brian personally picked up the phone when dealing with Monster. I still LMAO every time I think of him making that claim......I sent him a hero biscuit I was so impressed.

I try to remain positive. Look at this way. The networks and NASCAR are in this for the money. They only way they get more money is more fans. They know that. So while changes will come as they always have, they are all meant to excite the fans... ALL of us. Sure, some changes my be gimmicky or not to our liking, but at least they are trying to improve the sport instead of letting it die (I still think IROC could have been saved with different management).

It's amazing we are two years into a ten-year TV deal and one of the TV partners is already getting frustrated.

I understand the Networks being frustrated and upset but in reality they have no one to blame but themselves. A 5th grader could have told them they were signing on to a sinking ship not to mention both FOX and NBC could have secured the programming for far less than what they anted up. It wasn't like ESPN, TNT or CBS were busting down the door either.

popcorn-muncher.gif

I try to remain positive. Look at this way. The networks and NASCAR are in this for the money. They only way they get more money is more fans. They know that. So while changes will come as they always have, they are all meant to excite the fans... ALL of us. Sure, some changes my be gimmicky or not to our liking, but at least they are trying to improve the sport instead of letting it die (I still think IROC could have been saved with different management).

There is nothing wrong with being optimistic providing it doesn't blind one to reality. Nascar has made many changes in the past 15 years and has continued to hemorrhage fans at an unprecedented rate but an optimist will think that the next changes that are to come will finally be the salvation Nascar has been looking for. A realist will be hopeful that the next round of changes will improve things but cannot be optimistic based on a 15 year record of failure.

Nice to see in writing concern over the charter issue I voiced last year. I predicted charters would reduce competition, and many on here disagreed. It appears to be happening.

But while the charter structure is still in its infancy — with some owners bullishly confident about the solidity it provides in the years to come — there is skepticism whether the smaller teams are actually better off. Also, whether potential new owners are stymied from entering what is now essentially a closed society with limited avenues to startup and field a competitive team.

I'm truly terrified!!! Nobody gets it!!!

Brian France and other NASCAR leaders don't get it! Jordan Bianchi (writer of above article) doesn't get it! NBC doesn't get it! Nobody gets it!

Nobody seems to understand that ratings are plummeting because of the disgusting playoff format and stupid gimmicks!

They somehow think millenials like myself actually like the stupid gimmicks they're implementing!

Brian France and other NASCAR leaders don't get it! Jordan Bianchi (writer of above article) doesn't get it! NBC doesn't get it! Nobody gets it!

Nobody seems to understand that ratings are plummeting because of the disgusting playoff format and stupid gimmicks!

They somehow think millenials like myself actually like the stupid gimmicks they're implementing!

C'mon. Ratings have plummeted among millennials at the same time all the ridiculous changes have happened. The obvious answer is more ridiculous change.

Nice to see in writing concern over the charter issue I voiced last year. I predicted charters would reduce competition, and many on here disagreed. It appears to be happening.

But while the charter structure is still in its infancy — with some owners bullishly confident about the solidity it provides in the years to come — there is skepticism whether the smaller teams are actually better off. Also, whether potential new owners are stymied from entering what is now essentially a closed society with limited avenues to startup and field a competitive team.

As I have always said Nascar is the king of unintended consequences as they announce changes then strut around like Bantam Roosters only to have egg on their faces in short order.

Yep, I agree with you.

This sport was continuing it's growth until shortly after the Chase implementation. Many of us were against it from the outset. Others gave it a year to play out. The ratings/attendance tell the story from that point on.

They always seem to be convinced that further changes are necessary. Change is what stunted the growth of this sport. They had it right and they effed it up.

Maybe we could try to change the mindset of fans to have longer attention spans. rather then change item A nascar, we could change item B, the fans

It won't happen but I would really like to see someone start a new stock car type series free from all the politics and idiocy of Nascar. Having something that started off small and and slowly grew support would something I would enjoy being a part of. Total pipe dream though.

It won't happen but I would really like to see someone start a new stock car type series free from all the politics and idiocy of Nascar. Having something that started off small and and slowly grew support would something I would enjoy being a part of. Total pipe dream though.

There's probably never been a better time for SMI to break off. They have Bristol and Charlotte for marquee events. As long as they go with a return to sanity and not the city team racing idea from a few years ago, I'd be a supporter.

C'mon. Ratings have plummeted among millennials at the same time all the ridiculous changes have happened. The obvious answer is more ridiculous change.

That is why I was wondering how someone could be optimistic about the changes likely headed are way. Sure anything is possible but based upon the last 15 years and all the changes that have run the series into the ground is it reasonable to be optimistic?

Maybe we could try to change the mindset of fans to have longer attention spans. rather then change item A nascar, we could change item B, the fans

Maybe peoples' attention spans would be better if the racing was any good. And the way to fix that is to quit racing at The Brobdingnagians and race at more short tracks and road courses.

Yeah this typically ends up going the other direction.

They try to think they have the pulse of the fan base but they're so far off. The only thing positive that they've done that I can think of off top is lower downforce.

The Caution Clock in Truck racing wasn't terrible. But it makes more sense there. If that thing comes to Cup, I swear on all that is holy that I'm done.

The Caution Clock in Truck racing wasn't terrible. But it makes more sense there. If that thing comes to Cup, I swear on all that is holy that I'm done.
Ol' Mikey thought the caution clock was the greatest thing since Joey Logano (sliced bread).

I don't know how much Jim Noble truly knows but he indicated that the upcoming changes will be made more for the home viewer rather than the attending fan.

I feel like one NBCs problems is their presentation. We noticed watching last year that NBC has more frequent commercials than Fox. Fox's broadcast are a lot more fun as NBCs has more of a professional feel to them as well.

Yep, I agree with you.

This sport was continuing it's growth until shortly after the Chase implementation. Many of us were against it from the outset. Others gave it a year to play out. The ratings/attendance tell the story from that point on.

They always seem to be convinced that further changes are necessary. Change is what stunted the growth of this sport. They had it right and they effed it up.

I went back a looked at some of the comments about the viewership and interest in Nascar pre-chase and it a 180 degree change from what we see today. It was a good time to be associated with Nascar as the stands were full and people were engaged all over the country.

http://www.jayski.com/pages/tvratings2002.htm

NASCAR Gives FX Biggest Audience Ever: The NASCAR ratings juggernaut paid off in a big way for FX from Dover. The live coverage of the MBNA Platinum 400 delivered a 4.7 rating, reaching 3.65 million households and 5.6 million viewers. These results made it the most-watched telecast in the history of the network. Additionally, the MBNA 400 was the highest-rated show on cable TV last week, even beating out Spongebob Squarepants and WWE wrestling. It helped that The Osbournes wasn't on, allowing NASCAR to take the weekly crown. For the four Winston Cup races on FX so far this year, the overall rating is up 6% from last year, 25% in total households, 20% in average viewers, and 12% in they key male demo of 18-49 year-old couch potatoes. The large 20% and 25% numbers are due to the rise in the number of households receiving FX.(MotorsportsTV)(6-7-2002)

Pocono TV Ratings II: The Winston Cup action from Pocono saw a dramatic increase in ratings, with the Dale Jarrett victory pulling in a 5.1 rating and 15 share. This is up 16% from last year's 4.4 rating and 12 share. Also, the race was up 18% in average viewers (8.0 million vs. 6.8 million). The total number of households reached was 5,393, 000. For the week, it was beaten only by Games 1 to 3 of the NBA Finals and the Belmont Stakes.(MotorsportsTV.com)(6-14-2002)

NASCAR on NBC & TNT Up 13% Heading into Final 2 Races: Through 17 telecasts, NBC & TNT have produced a 4.3 national rating/10 share (excluding this year’s Daytona 500 and last year’s primetime Pepsi 400 - the two races which alternate between NBC and Fox each year), representing a 13 percent increase over a 3.8/10 for the comparable races last year. This growth builds on last year’s 34 percent ratings increase (3.9/10 vs. a 2.9/8) for the inaugural year of NASCAR on NBC & TNT over the comparable races in the 2000 season. TNT’s coverage of last Sunday’s NASCAR Winston Cup race from Rockingham, N.C. delivered a 3.0 converted national household rating/8 share, which represents a three percent improvement over last year’s 2.9/8 on TNT.(NBC PR)(11-6-2002)

I what monster wants to change about nascar. Please NASCAR dont strike out with too many swings at the all mighty ratings..........

ALTHOUGH......

if it goes back to the niche ESPN days where it had a much smaller audience, it might be interesting too. question is can you go back?

I feel like one NBCs problems is their presentation. We noticed watching last year that NBC has more frequent commercials than Fox. Fox's broadcast are a lot more fun as NBCs has more of a professional feel to them as well.

NBC's overall presentation is better, IMO. But I like the Fox Sports commentators better.

NBC's visuals (graphics, camera angles) are better. Plus, they utilize side-by-side for commercials a lot more than Fox, and I think NBC tends to frontload its commercials (more commercials at the start and mid stages, fewer commercials at the end).

I like FS1 the most for NASCAR. Jeff Gordon was a great addition to the Fox booth and FS1 seems to have much fewer commercials than the races on big Fox and NBC/NBCSN/CNBC/USA/MSNBC.

Back
Top Bottom