NASCAR media members--good and bad

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by nickmiles, Jun 3, 2017.

1. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Nate Ryan is a favorite, thought-provoking and well-researched tidbits to be found here. Understands business. I hate it when sports reporters get the business parts all wrong, as many do with alarming frequency.

Bob Pockrass is a favorite, the hardest worker on the Nascar beat. Understands business and pursues business angles frequently. The Dean of the Nascar press corps.

Jeff Gluck is a favorite for his youthful gee-whiz enthusiasm, his fan-centric orientation, and his DGAF independence. However, I am disappointed by his slant toward social media as something that needs to be reported on extensively. Where is the meat?

Ryan McGee is a favorite for his excellent writing and his sense of perspective based on long experience and good common sense.

2. Ashstrodamus

Ashstrodamus Team Owner

I'm not too familiar with many of the reporters anymore. Jamie Little and Krista Voda aren't bad. I think Rutledge Wood is an utter buffoon. I do like that walkthrough that DW does right before the race where he asks a quick question to the top starters, but his race commentary? Not so much. Eli Gold on the radio was always excellent. I don't know if he even does that anymore, but he could paint a picture with words.

3. R Clarence

R Clarence Team Owner

FOX should hang onto DW with the walk thru thing. Good stuff.

Ashstrodamus likes this.
  4. Brigeton

Brigeton Jackman

That's MW with the walk through not DW. Mikey sometimes gets on my nerves.
    I don't like Chris Myers mainly because he's a football guy and shouldn't be doing Nascar.

5. R Clarence

R Clarence Team Owner

Heh, heh, heh....

6. Ashstrodamus

Ashstrodamus Team Owner

That's right, it sure is. I must say I detest his commentary, but the walk through is usually good. You can tell some of the drivers are thinking, "Get the hell out of here Mikey."

RacerrecaR likes this.
  7. DIDIT

DIDIT Old School Fan

I like Jamie Little, she knows her stuff, doesn't seem to be a NASCAR suckup and can stand her ground as she showed during this little incident between Kez and Gordon.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  8. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

It's easier to say who I don't like:

Jim Utter

Jenna Fryer

Dave Moody

All three are pretty big trolls.

Most of the rest I'm okay with, enjoy their content, or don't really care about them.

Wrangler1 likes this.
  9. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

Those TNT broadcasts with Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach were a ton of fun. I was hoping NBC would've put those two on.

Charlie Spencer and FLRacingFan like this.
  10. AndyMarquisLive

I wonder if Jenna Fryer regrets publishing that Fernando Alonso piece she wrote. Honestly, I don't think I've seen anyone say a single positive thing about her since she wrote that.

11. Wrangler1

Wrangler1 Team Owner

In terms of social media information and updates I like Pockrass and Gluck. Stories and articles I find myself reading a lot of what Tom Jensen has to say.

Jim Utter is a troll as someone put it, I don't have satellite radio so I can't comment on those guys.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  12. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

I've probably got about 20 NASCAR Media folk that I follow on Twitter. I use TweetDeck. I've set up 6 column's for NASCAR related content. About 8 more column's for non NASCAR related topics. Tweetdeck is pretty sweet for my use.

13. kkfan91

kkfan91 Taking a 10-200

Maybe because Jim Utter like me is a natural contrarian but I like him same as Moody. God forbid they support all the stupid stupid ideas fans have.

Wrangler1 likes this.
  14. AndyMarquisLive

Disagree. He brings up a lot of valid arguments and usually has some good discussions. We've had some debates on Twitter and it's never escalated to trolling or blocking, and he's always been cordial to me.

Wrangler1 and kkfan91 like this.
  15. kkfan91

kkfan91 Taking a 10-200

I've never had an issue with him, disagree on some points but in general is a good guy. He was on Jeff Glucks podcast recently and explained his deal with blocking people and it makes complete sense.

16. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I think she could've gotten away with it if it weren't for how she reacted. She doubled down on Twitter and the mea culpa piece was terrible too.

17. Tom Jensen was laid off today.

18. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

We'll that sucks. Looks like no more stories through fox sports.com. Only video.

Maybe he can go the Gluck route?

roadcoursefan likes this.
  19. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Unfortunately, it appears that the dean of the Nascar press corps is out of a job...

20. Pat

Pat Team Owner

Bob Pockrass was the first one at the track and the last one to leave. Most of my in race info came from his tweets. Jenna Fryer had too many other interests. I took her out of my timeline. I follow 10 other members of Nascar media but none tweet as often as they did years ago. Not getting the at track info I use to see.

21. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

going to miss Pockrass, I didn't like him at first, but he turned out pretty good all said and done. ESPN laid off over a hundred people a couple of years ago and is probably not replacing the ones that left since. Changing times in the sports entertainment world.

22. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Someone needs to pick up Pockrass. Hopefully NBC since FOX canned their writers. He's too good at this to be forced out of the sport.

23. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Kelly Crandall for Racer is ok, she is all hung up on WWE though.

24. MikeInIllinois

MikeInIllinois Team Owner

Other than Jayski, was Pockrass ESPN's only NASCAR writer? Makes me wonder if they're just going to copy and paste wire service version of stories of the sport from now on.

25. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

wire service? what's that?

26. kkfan91

kkfan91 Taking a 10-200

Matt Weaver is one Inreally like, has a lot of short track stuff too.

27. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yeah I forgot about him and Chris Knight

kkfan91 likes this.
  28. Towmater

Towmater Ratings Craterville

Gluck and Dave Caldwell are about the only two I read.

29. Hawaii808

Hawaii808 Team Owner

I agree that Gluck IS social media focused, but lacking a broadcast/big media platform he has to work with what he's got. And I agree that his DGAF allows him to sometimes say what others won't.

gnomesayin and LewTheShoe like this.
  30. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Social media is paying most of Gluck's bill hopefully. I do see the slant towards social media with him. They all have somebody on their bond.

31. Hawaii808

Hawaii808 Team Owner

I have to believe that Bob Pockrass will land on his feet. Possibly landing in PR like so many reporters I know have.

And I'm probably the only one to admit this, but I like what Rutledge Wood brings to the broadcasts. I lived in the South a bunch of years and he reminds me of a lot of guys I knew.

gnomesayin and Charlie Spencer like this.
  32. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I hope racing gets to keep Bob wherever he ends up, he seems to enjoy it

Pat likes this.
  33. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

34. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

I actually like Rutledge on the rare occasion he's assigned to do something other than what I call 'lifestyle pieces'. He lucked into interviewing a driver once; I forget who, and he did a very good job. Not Costas or Bestwick good, but far better than I expected. It took me a while to realize it isn't him I can't stand. It's 99% of the crapola he's assigned to cover, and the racing we're missing while he's covering it. I don't give a hoot what's being cooked in the infield when there's green flag racing going on. That isn't Rut's fault, that's a production issue.

I always enjoyed Marty Smith's writing back when he was on NASCAR.com.

It's a sin that Allen Bestwick isn't calling a top-series race every weekend.

Wherever Chris Myers went, please leave him there. His pre-race and infield booth work was unbearable, even compared to Mikey. Myers would put on this 'Aw Shucks' persona that he didn't use in his coverage of any other sport. If I had to hear 'We kid because we care!' one more time, I would have damaged my TV. That's just a BS way of pretending you didn't just deliver an insult. And 'we'? How many of you are in there, Sybil?

gnomesayin and LewTheShoe like this.
  35. Hawaii808

Hawaii808 Team Owner

We already have the Waltrips, our "aw shucks" quota is filled.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  36. AndyMarquisLive

Losing Bob Pockrass sucks. Especially when half the media center cares more about the Carolina Panthers than the race they're at.

gnomesayin likes this.
  37. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yeah Rutlidge has never bothered me, I am aware of his job. I have seen him in other programs, quite a collector of really nice vehicles and I don't mean trailer queens. He is a car guy. All casuals see is the plaid it seems.
    http://www.therutledgewood.com/garage/

Hawaii808 likes this.
  38. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Word.

mack likes this.
  39. MRM

MRM Team Owner

Not sure where you lived in the South, but he's not like many Southern men I know, expect for some hipsters. Rutledge is okay in my book, just far from a typical Southerner.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  40. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Car Chief

I am sure I have read pieces from many Nascar reporters but I am unfamiliar with most of the names or personalities. IDK why ESPN cut a writer loose but between ESPN needing to slash costs and Nascar’s precipitous drop in popularity it makes sense. It was reported that Nascar dropped 770,000 fans per race this year so with less people paying attention less coverage is needed.