NASCAR Pick 'Em 2018

Along with the spreadsheets showing who's picked who to date, I'll try to issue pick reminders to the dead-beats as a way of keeping the game interesting with as many full-time participants as possible.

And yes, you can submit driver picks for future races if you'd like. Just keep your picks to the near future and send advance picks in a separate, race location titled message so I don't open it until after I've made my pick for that race.

Although some feel there's as much luck to this game as skill, it'll be interesting to see how the returning players fare against the newbies. I'm pretty sure that last year's winner, @Snappy D, won the championship in his rookie year.
Yes that is correct, I won it my first year here with you fellas and ladies

With a month to go before they drop the green flag to start the 500, we've got 25 who've expressed interest in playing the game this year, including many who are playing for the first time. Remember, there's no limit as to the number of players.

NASCAR PICK 'EM 2018 list.jpg

Most of those who played last year are going to give it another try and we also have several who played in previous years that are back in the fold. Dunno exactly, but I'm guessing that it's probably the snazzy new champion's plaque that has gotten their attention. :rolleyes:

Most of those who played last year are going to give it another try and we also have several who played in previous years that are back in the fold. Dunno exactly, but I'm guessing that it's probably the snazzy new champion's plaque that has gotten their attention. :rolleyes:
I'm sure that's what it is. :confused:

Upon doing a little research into the game as it's existed on this board, I came up with this. Interesting to see just what kind of average points per race it took to win the game each year.

2014 & 2015 final standings.jpg

2016 & 2017 final standings.jpg

Also interesting that @KevinWI ran the game in 2014 with only four players involved.

Finally, a shout-out to the 2014 Champion, @FLRacingFan, who is the only player to participate every year of the game's existence, but who has yet to express interest in this year's game. :(

Upon doing a little research into the game as it's existed on this board, I came up with this. Interesting to see just what kind of average points per race it took to win the game each year.

View attachment 32111

View attachment 32112

Also interesting that @KevinWI ran the game in 2014 with only four players involved.

Finally, a shout-out to the 2014 Champion, @FLRacingFan, who is the only player to participate every year of the game's existence, but who has yet to express interest in this year's game. :(
Yep. In 2016 at Homestead I was coming around @jpell15 on the last lap on the outside of the backstretch and he squeezed me into the wall. I hung on to finish second. Just a racing deal.

With a month to go before they drop the green flag to start the 500, we've got 25 who've expressed interest in playing the game this year, including many who are playing for the first time. Remember, there's no limit as to the number of players.

View attachment 32101

I have the Champion’s Plaque for now! View attachment 32121

Figuring that we can afford to add to the couple dozen or so that have already expressed interest in this year's game, I thought I'd give a shout-out to the following former players of the game that appear to still visit the board regularly.

@Clutch
@francibastiglia
@Get That 88 Up There !!
@Hotrod
@Michfan
@princess
@RayinTX
@recjus85
@Reck
@Simple Fan
@UpNorth
@wilson89
@WhiningSmoke

Also, those who have never previously participated are certainly welcome to join in, especially if you're new to the sport as old-timers like @Johali (aka Gator) are always looking for fresh meat. :D

View attachment 32111

View attachment 32112

Based off this In predicting a 6th place finish this year and a championship in 2023:D

Figuring that we can afford to add to the couple dozen or so that have already expressed interest in this year's game, I thought I'd give a shout-out to the following former players of the game that appear to still visit the board regularly.

@Clutch
@francibastiglia
@Get That 88 Up There !!
@Hotrod
@Michfan
@princess
@RayinTX
@recjus85
@Reck
@Simple Fan
@UpNorth
@wilson89
@WhiningSmoke

Also, those who have never previously participated are certainly welcome to join in, especially if you're new to the sport as old-timers like @Johali (aka Gator) are always looking for fresh meat. :D
I'd be bummed if Michfan doesnt do it this year, we had a hell of a battle last year, and he was super close to winning.

@Clutch
@francibastiglia
@Get That 88 Up There !!
@Hotrod
@Michfan
@princess
@RayinTX
@recjus85
@Reck
@Simple Fan
@UpNorth
@wilson89
@WhiningSmoke

I'm keen Bud. :)

Just a heads up, not that it matters, but I actually played as Brent in 2015. I just took a couple weeks off. No rookie here. :)

Just a heads up, not that it matters, but I actually played as Brent in 2015. I just took a couple weeks off. No rookie here. :)

Yes, I came to realize that just recently.

Not only did you play in 2015, you came away as Season Champion with the lowest average points per race (14.3) in this game since at least 2014

Meanwhile, an updated list of those that have shown interest in playing this year . . .

NASCAR PICK 'EM 2018 list - updated.jpg

Nice to see that all four former champions are in the game . . .

Yep. In 2016 at Homestead I was coming around @jpell15 on the last lap on the outside of the backstretch and he squeezed me into the wall. I hung on to finish second. Just a racing deal.
The big website crash gave me another NO PICK that year. Without the two NO PICKS, I had that one.

Thanks for the shout out pjmolo, but I am still going to just enjoy watching this one
from the sidelines. With the looks of this entry list, It appears there will be a real scrum.
Really good rookie class too. SnappyD was 2017 champ his rookie year , so it can
be done .

@wilson89

I would definitely like to return

@pjmolo Is it too soon to send picks in for Daytona? Can we send you like three weeks at a time? Lol I think it'd be easier for me to not fall off that way.

Last edited:
@pjmolo Is it too soon to send picks in for Daytona? Can we send you like three weeks at a time? Lol I think it'd be easier for me to not fall off that way.

Although I don't believe that the entry list for the Daytona 500 has been released yet, picks can be submitted as soon as you feel comfortable with your choice. (I've received one already.)

And although the rules allow for changing your pick for a race up until the pick deadline, let's not get carried away with making a pick and then changing it numerous times. :crash:

Regarding the submittal of picks for future races (or even submitting picks on a weekly basis, for that matter), because I plan on being in the game this year, knowing the pick(s) of others in advance could possibly influence my pick.

If this is somehow an issue for some, you'll just have to trust me to not look at your pick until after I've made mine. My plan is to record picks during the middle of the week prior to the race, having made my pick before seeing what other picks have been submitted.

So having said all that, yes, you can submit driver picks for future races if that works for you.

Although I don't believe that the entry list for the Daytona 500 has been released yet, picks can be submitted as soon as you feel comfortable with your choice. (I've received one already.)

And although the rules allow for changing your pick for a race up until the pick deadline, let's not get carried away with making a pick and then changing it numerous times. :crash:

Regarding the submittal of picks for future races (or even submitting picks on a weekly basis, for that matter), because I plan on being in the game this year, knowing the pick(s) of others in advance could possibly influence my pick.

If this is somehow an issue for some, you'll just have to trust me to not look at your pick until after I've made mine. My plan is to record picks during the middle of the week prior to the race, having made my pick before seeing what other picks have been submitted.

So having said all that, yes, you can submit driver picks for future races if that works for you.
Okay thanks.. and I do trust you wouldn't do anything to affect the integrity of the game. If you say that's what you're going to do I believe you.

The count is about 16 so far but there's plenty of time for more players to get on board.

I've found that about two dozen players is a manageable number of players to keep track of and easily fit onto a spreadsheet but if more than that are looking to play, that's fine by me.

What with the Yahoo game being gone, when filling out the picks-to-date spreadsheet I won't be able to use the Yahoo "A-B-C" grouping of drivers to classify a driver's relative strength as I did last year.

Right now I'm thinking of classifying drivers using the Yahoo grouping from last year with a few tweaks based upon the results from 2017. In any event, it's an arbitrary classification that is intended to assist players in picking drivers and not something required by the rules.

Also, for what it's worth, I intend to try my hand at the game this year. In an attempt at some degree of fairness, I'll make my pick prior to seeing what picks other players have made for a particular race.

Finally, a correction to the typo made in listing the game's rules.

10 - A player will be dropped from the game following his failure to make a pick for four races.

and so it goes . . .
Sheesh, wish I understood this.

Better yet, maybe this spreadsheet from last year will help clarify things.

It's intended to show the drivers (categorized by last year's Yahoo game) used to date by each player.

2017 Pick'Em Used List.jpg

Last edited:
I understand HOW to play. You make a PLAN and then PLAY the plan, very simple.
Dementia makes it hard to make a PLAN. I think I will watch this thread this season.

No bold predictions this year? What, did I break it? Lol

Didn't you read the fine print of the rules for the Bold Prediction game ?

Whoever wins it is required to run the game the following year.

We're all counting on you to get the game thread rockin' and rollin' . . . .

:jamming:

Back
Top Bottom