NASCAR Racing Forum's Modern Era Best Peak and Prime Project

jaqua19

Team Owner
I've seen something similar on realgm's NBA forum, and I wonder if people here would be interested in participating in a little forum project where we create the forum's consensus peak and prime rankings? We could rank a top 10, 15, or top 20, or even top 25. Depending on how many want to participate.

Peak will consist of a driver's best season; decided by however we want to measure it: statistically, performance, competition faced erc.

Prime will be a driver's best 5-10 year stretch.

I'm thinking of this sort of format:

Every few days I (or someone else) can make a new thread.. the first would be "#1 peak season" and posters can share their thoughts on the best peak. The most selections would take spot #1 on the list. Then, a new thread will be for the #2 peak, all the way up to 10, 15, 20 or 25...however many we chose to do.

Then the same thing for a driver's prime.

Thoughts? Could we get a lot of people to participate? The more participants, the better the list.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This would require something called a "consensus", which means an agreement between people. Here's a link for people to do more research on this word- https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consensus

I'm not sure that's possible on this forum ;)
A consensus opinion ;)

Hence my explanation that the most "picks" would take that spot. People don't have to agree on anything. Perhaps I should replace consensus with majority.

Tough to say.
Probably in 2014 and 2015 when I just missed winning RF Yahoo fantasy league for two consecutive seasons by only 7 points. It is as close as anyone has come to reaching the magical accomplishment.

There is is the 2012 chase championship, the 2018 pick the winner of every race championship, and the 2019 RFL championship too.

It really hard to pick just one era when you have always been great. I try not think about it and I hate hearing people brag, and there one is league I have not won yet.

As one of the most humble posters here that is all I am going to say about those 5 great seasons. I dont like making inferrior people nervous either, I am just a normal guy like everybody else that ain't won as many championships.
God has been so good to me and blessed me with such great skills, being humble and approachable is the christian thing to do.
It ain't right rubbing less accomplished peoples nose in it either. You may not be as highly accomplished and esteemed here, but God might love you as much as he does me.
Being humble and not getting a big head, that's what it is all about.

I think it might be easier to settle on "tiers" of drivers rather than their absolute number 1,2,3 spots etc.

Let's say after we debate we agree that in no particular order Earnhardt, Pearson, Gordon, Waltrip, and Jimmie are the 5 best of all-time. We call that the A tier, then the B tier we argue about Stewart, Ky Bu, Cale Yarborough, etc

Didn't we discuss peak/prime seasons in this thread?
What would be the difference?

Didn't we discuss peak/prime seasons in this thread?
What would be the difference?
Creating a ranking. I would like to compile a list ranking. I would create a thread, asking for your this forums opinions on the best peak of the modern era. Then do it for the 2nd best. I may just start to do it for the heck of it.

I think it might be easier to settle on "tiers" of drivers rather than their absolute number 1,2,3 spots etc.

Let's say after we debate we agree that in no particular order Earnhardt, Pearson, Gordon, Waltrip, and Jimmie are the 5 best of all-time. We call that the A tier, then the B tier we argue about Stewart, Ky Bu, Cale Yarborough, etc
I agree. That said, I don't consider this a debate. More like a sort of "poll", so to speak. I am going to just start it, and hope it gets some traction..I really want to do this.

I've seen something similar on realgm's NBA forum, and I wonder if people here would be interested in participating in a little forum project where we create the forum's consensus peak and prime rankings? We could rank a top 10, 15, or top 20, or even top 25. Depending on how many want to participate.

Peak will consist of a driver's best season; decided by however we want to measure it: statistically, performance, competition faced erc.

Prime will be a driver's best 5-10 year stretch.

I'm thinking of this sort of format:

Every few days I (or someone else) can make a new thread.. the first would be "#1 peak season" and posters can share their thoughts on the best peak. The most selections would take spot #1 on the list. Then, a new thread will be for the #2 peak, all the way up to 10, 15, 20 or 25...however many we chose to do.

Then the same thing for a driver's prime.

Thoughts? Could we get a lot of people to participate? The more participants, the better the list.

Seems like a lot to crunch (infinite).
Some easy ones to me would be the prime. Johnsons five consecutive championships.

Single season: Petty 1967 unless discounted outside of the modern era.
Waltrip had a great season 81 or 82. I would have to pull the numbers.
Gordon had a couple seasons with insane stats too.

Still the same getting a consensus opinion on who is best is almost impossibile.
If a driver were to ever win all the races in a season you will still get hammered with all the what if arguments to discredit the performance. It was all the CC or they cheated etc..

Seems like a lot to crunch (infinite).
Some easy ones to me would be the prime. Johnsons five consecutive championships.

Single season: Petty 1967 unless discounted outside of the modern era.
Waltrip had a great season 81 or 82. I would have to pull the numbers.
Gordon had a couple seasons with insane stats too.

Still the same getting a consensus opinion on who is best is almost impossibile.
If a driver were to ever win all the races in a season you will still get hammered with all the what if arguments to discredit the performance. It was all the CC or they cheated etc..
And these are all variables that factor into ones opinion, and every opinion is valid. I'm looking for a majority to create these lists. It's not necessarily about objective fact, and it certainly isn't definitive. Just looking for a majority opinion of each spot.

If I haven't made this clear, but I'm not looking for everyone's top 15 list. Each thread will be dedicated (for a few days) to a spot in the ranking. People can disagree too..

Thread 1: best peak ever - which ever driver/season shows up most, I will place in the # 1 spot

Thread number 2: 2nd best peak ever - which ever driver/season shows up most gets the #2 spot

And so on. If someone thinks DW had the #2 best peak ever, and another driver ends up in the #2 spot, keep posting DW in each of the threads until he lands.

Just to reiterate, this is by no means definitive, or official. I understand it's only a sample of opinions and each thread will have a different number of participants. It's just a fun little project I felt inspired to do with the forum..a project that isn't intended to reflect any sort of objective ranking.

Last edited:

I understand this was a "what if" post, but...

no mention of The King? complete loss of credibility!

I understand this was a "what if" post, but...

no mention of The King? complete loss of credibility!
I mentioned the modern era. So he left Petty out of it.

The thread is up though guys!

I mentioned the modern era. So he left Petty out of it.

The thread is up though guys!

once upon a time I would have had a big smiley thing at the end of my post to note it was meant with humor. and here I would like to add that beer bang thing!

once upon a time I would have had a big smiley thing at the end of my post to note it was meant with humor. and here I would like to add that beer bang thing!
This is hilarious. I'll crack one in your honor tonight.

I'd love your input in the new thread!

Tough to say.
Probably in 2014 and 2015 when I just missed winning RF Yahoo fantasy league for two consecutive seasons by only 7 points. It is as close as anyone has come to reaching the magical accomplishment.

There is is the 2012 chase championship, the 2018 pick the winner of every race championship, and the 2019 RFL championship too.

It really hard to pick just one era when you have always been great. I try not think about it and I hate hearing people brag, and there one is league I have not won yet.

As one of the most humble posters here that is all I am going to say about those 5 great seasons. I dont like making inferrior people nervous either, I am just a normal guy like everybody else that ain't won as many championships.
God has been so good to me and blessed me with such great skills, being humble and approachable is the christian thing to do.
It ain't right rubbing less accomplished peoples nose in it either. You may not be as highly accomplished and esteemed here, but God might love you as much as he does me.
Being humble and not getting a big head, that's what it is all about.
???????????

Back
Top Bottom