NASCAR should attempt a mid week summer night race

I agree with jasn88cubs/timmyholton/whatever other names he uses

This would be a good idea

Martinsville deserves a third date, at night, in the middle of the week, sometime in the summer

On a Thursday night would be my pick

I would probably watch a weeknight race the next morning so I am OK with them.

Truthfully, I'm not nuts about the idea either. If you think the stands are empty on the weekends...

A weeknight race may work in a locale like Vegas but I think if you held it at Pocono the crowd would be non existent.

If they decide to race at Martinsville on a Thursday night, I'll gladly burn two vacation days and go enjoy it in person. Great way to kick off a four day weekend :cool:

Impound em' after each race. Talk about comers and goers.
I was thinking the same thing. They get one car, but do away with the 5 minute clock and body panel requirements. They would all be modified by the end of Richmond.
Brian, are you listening?

I wouldn't be against it but like others have said the attendance would be the problem. I'd also want to see it somewhere other than Martinsville as thats probably my second least favorite track.

I say put the Cup cars on dirt and run it during the week at Eldora. Smaller grandstand would make the crowd not look as bad and Cup cars on dirt will probably sale well anyway.

I don't think attendance would be a problem. is it really that different than people going to a game in the middle of the week for baseball or football or any other major sport that has games on a weeknight? I don't think so, maybe you're not going to see a hundred thousand people but when the hell do we see that anymore anyway. I think it would be a great idea, what's the worst that could happen?

I wouldn't be against it but like others have said the attendance would be the problem. I'd also want to see it somewhere other than Martinsville as thats probably my second least favorite track.

I say put the Cup cars on dirt and run it during the week at Eldora. Smaller grandstand would make the crowd not look as bad and Cup cars on dirt will probably sale well anyway.

If you build another 50,000 seats at Eldora and ran that race with cup cars on a Tuesday night when everybody had to be at work the next morning at 6 AM the stands would be full!!!

I see how this might work if you ran say the Modifieds and the trucks along with cup. 75 lap mods, 125 lap truck race and 300 lap Cup race at a place like Iowa or Martinsville. Charge no more than $50 for tickets, I think people would come out for it. Stand alone cup would die IMO., need some local flavor too it.

I don't think attendance would be a problem. is it really that different than people going to a game in the middle of the week for baseball or football or any other major sport that has games on a weeknight? I don't think so, maybe you're not going to see a hundred thousand people but when the hell do we see that anymore anyway. I think it would be a great idea, what's the worst that could happen?

The difference is all of the pro sports teams are located within large metro areas. Martinsville is far removed from any major population base. Unless you can convince Roanoke and Winston-Salem to really support the event I don't see who will be there.

The only possible comparison would be Virginia Tech football since they're the original Thursday night team and are located somewhat nearby. But there's a lot more pilgrimage/school pride involved with that. There's simply not many NASCAR Diehards around anymore.

I love how they'll completely butcher the sport with convoluted rules and points system, costing the sport billions in future income, if not eventually burying it. But one race on dirt, or the middle of the week, or just getting rid of one 1.5er race and replacing it with a still standing rural artifact that created this whole thing, is way out of line and not financially feasible.

Do you people tune in to see a race or count seats? Line them up and race on a weeknight. Let the track owners worry about the gate.

Nascar use to be the best "spectator sport in America". Then they sold out to tv. This sport was built by the live audience. If they are even considered a little bit NASCAR will be better off. 15k people in 60k seat venue for the top series would look terrible.

Run the Cup cars at a dirt track (Knoxville or Eldora) in the midweek.

Nascar use to be the best "spectator sport in America". Then they sold out to tv. This sport was built by the live audience. If they are even considered a little bit NASCAR will be better off. 15k people in 60k seat venue for the top series would look terrible.
Do empty seats affect your race enjoyment as a home viewer?

Ignorance is not bliss
No, I'm a fan that would be at that race. Just as I had been at Eldora multiple times for the Truck race mid week. Just as when I've attended multiple truck races @ Bristol mid week in August.

You can worry about the empty seats, should that be your concern. Me, I'm a fan of the racing.

Was the last Truck race at Eldora a sellout?
Eldora has around 18,000 seats plus the general admission hillsides. Even the smallest Cup tracks seat three times that.

Eldora is a unique event, the only dirt race in the top three touring series.

Eldora is owned by Tony Stewart. That's a big factor in how the track received a race date in the first place.

Eldora's circumstances don't match those of other tracks.

I can only speak as to the first two Eldora Truck races. I camped for a week at both. The first year was, by far, the most attended of the two. I sat in the general admission in the turn 3-4 end along with @Johali. Reserved seating, behind us, was not full as it was the first year. The novelty of it all wears off in short order. The number of RV'ers was also down in the 2nd year as opposed to the first. Looking at their website, it shows a lot of available RV sites. Again, something that wasn't the case a few short years ago.

I’m all for the experiment.

Ain’t ‘n won’t have a dime invested in it.

Go Daniker!

Back
Top Bottom