NASCAR stages road course test at Charlotte Motor Speedway

Isn't the viewing a little piss poor at Daytona? I've never been for a road coarse event there but I can't imagine it would be great.
The track viewing tool on their ticketing site makes it look like the seats closest to turn 1 would have pretty good views. It's one of the few advantages it has over a true road course - you can see most of the track from one spot.

If this whole topic is still a possibility in another week, pay attention to the camera angles they use for the Rolex.

Isn't the viewing a little piss poor at Daytona? I've never been for a road coarse event there but I can't imagine it would be great.
Since they got rid of the Budweiser Porch there isn't really a great view of the Superstretch chicane unless you're camping in the infield or on the Ferris wheel. You can see just about all of the oval and the infield section from a large portion of the stadium seating though. The infield itself has a few different bleacher sections to watch from.

That is not the same course provided by OP.

That final left turn is asking for disaster. No thanks.
I'll wait to trash it until after I've seen them race on it or at least till the Dinger comments on it.

There is absolutely nothing that can be derived from that video in regards to safety or the excitement level of a race held there.

The fact that they are at least taking a look at the possibility of doing this is a huge plus in my book. They've done nothing in recent memory that reeks positivity when it comes to changing this sport. This would be a huge step in that direction IMO.

Is it any worse than the hairpins at Sonoma or Mid-Ohio, or turn 2 at Villeneuve?
Those hairpins dont have a concrete wall staring at you in the face if brakes fail or wheelhop?

Im convinced this is nothing more than single car testing sessions.

Those hairpins dont have a concrete wall staring at you in the face if brakes fail or wheelhop?

Im convinced this is nothing more than single car testing sessions.
Why would a single car test on Charlotte's infield? Kershaw and VIR aren't that far and are much better places to test an RC car.

You may be right. Nothing personal, but I hope not.

When I've watched the 24 hours of Daytona I haven't seen much passing in the infield, there is passing at the entrance and setup for a pass after the exit. I wonder if it is possible to make a passing zone in the infield; maybe a huge open paved area where multiple lines can be tried like the Cleveland airport that Indycars used to run (racing those corners was often wild).

I know this is sacrilegious, but if we're experimenting at tracks with multiple dates and suitable road courses I'd use Daytona first and foremost. I think the product there would be pretty exciting, especially compared to the CMS course. I'd also think the Kansas road course would put on a better show than Charlotte's.

No it is not sacrilegious, I have said in this forum before, that Daytona would be an absolute great place to have a Nascar Cup series road course race that can be seen by all attending from the grandstands.
I vote to make the July 400 race at Daytona a road course race! :eek: OK I am hunkered down and ready for the :owquitit:. :D

Ill tell you what, the Daytona infield was hella fun to race in NASCAR Thunder.

I'll wait to trash it until after I've seen them race on it or at least till the Dinger comments on it.

There is absolutely nothing that can be derived from that video in regards to safety or the excitement level of a race held there.

Dinger is goung to love any Cup road course over an oval.

Looks like I am in the minority here.... never cared for road courses ..... but.... that's okay.... if we all liked the same thing...... these forums and life in general would be very boring.....

Nothing Nascar does as far as change surprises me anymore.... none of the changes they have made in the last few years have worked to draw more interest..... they might as well go for broke and scrap all the ovals and make ALL the races road courses or dirt.... they ain't got nothing to lose at this point..... except a more dwindling attendance and viewership..... The T.V. deal is a big prop..... Monster money sure ain't gonna make 'em rich......

The "it can't be any worse" should not apply to any road course race, even a roval like Charlotte is still a great race compared to any oval. This will inject excitement and interest into a race that has stagnated, a night road course race at Charlotte in the fall? Sign me up!
Damn straight!

Let's go back to Gilles Villeneuve or make a triple header at Mosport.

Hell, race on the Indy road course for crying aloud.
How about all three? Dump Kansas II, NHMS II, and swap Indy to the Road Course. I'm in. Anyone have Brian's number?

One Texas race over Kansas IMHO.

Kansas usually puts on a solid show.
Forgot about Texas! Shows you how memorable that place is. Done. Sign it and send it. Anything to get away from so many brobdingnagians on the schedule.

I'm not for changing charlotte to a road course, people complain the racing is bad, then change the cars not the tracks. If they want another road course then add road America or some other true road course. IMO road races have the fewest competitive passes in the top ten than ovals. If you want better races put Bristol back the way it was and drop half of the 1.5s and go to more flat short tracks.

I think most of you are missing the point on all of this. It's not about adding another race to the schedule. Forget about racing on any of those other road courses..... for now. It's only about running a road race @ Charlotte on the infield, period. Simple as that.

It'll probably be the All-Star race. I can be sure of one thing..... An All-Star race on the infield road course @ Charlotte will be a helluva lot more exciting than on the 1.5er layout only. I sure as heck hope it happens.

Obviously most everyone would like to see a road course race added at a real road course. No doubt, that'll come at some point. Now ain't it.

I think most of you are missing the point on all of this. It's not about adding another race to the schedule. Forget about racing on any of those other road courses..... for now. It's only about running a road race @ Charlotte on the infield, period. Simple as that.

It'll probably be the All-Star race. I can be sure of one thing..... An All-Star race on the infield road course @ Charlotte will be a helluva lot more exciting than on the 1.5er layout only. I sure as heck hope it happens.

Obviously most everyone would like to see a road course race added at a real road course. No doubt, that'll come at some point. Now ain't it.
Yup. We're stuck with what we have until 2020 unless ISC or SMI acquire a road course between now and then. I know one of them (and it's on another thread here somewhere) has been after Laguna Seca for some time. That would be awesome to see, but another west coast race may not be feasible and I like Vegas, Fontana, Sonoma, and Phoenix so I'd be bummed to see any of them go. Texas losing a 2nd race wouldn't hurt my feelings at all though.

Hope this is just a test as I don't think they need anymore road courses at the moment. If they were to add another I'd rather it be a real road course and not on an infield.

I think IMS needs to leave the schedule completely if they aren't willing to move it to the road course, which I thought is a decent track at least for IndyCar for their races.

Back
Top Bottom