NASCAR stages road course test at Charlotte Motor Speedway

Of course Newman wants to lose Talladega he can't go 2 races there without getting upside down. Personally I don't want to lose plate races.

Built in cautions to guarantee additional restarts with “Big One” potential in each make the crap shoot/chess match races perfect for an elimination system of determining a championship.

I assume the Charlotte road course isn't 1.5 miles, which would make the announced segment & race length for the fall Charlotte race incorrect. 334 laps on a road course would take forever.

Yeah, that pretty much kills that notion, at least for this year's Chase. Maybe they'll try it for the All-Star.

I think it's neat the road course still uses 95% of the oval, so we'll still get to see some door-to-door racing on the banking.

charlotte.png

Very curious how pit exit would work. I am not super hyped on the venue but I'm down for more right turns regardless of where.

This is exciting. A 'new' track. Wow.

Very curious how pit exit would work. I am not super hyped on the venue but I'm down for more right turns regardless of where.

This is exciting. A 'new' track. Wow.

With only 40 cars and a pit road built for 43, maybe won't be much of an issue to shorten it up?

That would be a good ticket in the nascarT2 stands. I am excited.

Some people are hating on the roval but I like it as long as the pit exit can be fixed. Sounded like Charlotte would upgrade.

I don't know how anyone can take issue with them utilizing that road course. Things needs to be changed up on this schedule. A move of the unique layout of NH race to Vegas was not an improvement on the schedule in the least. This is going to be something different. Something that hasn't been done. And..... it's being done at the expense of one of the many 1.5er's on the schedule. That's an awesome step in the right direction. No, it's not a road course layout by design but damn, I know I'll be looking forward to this change.

I don't know how anyone can take issue with them utilizing that road course. Things needs to be changed up on this schedule. A move of the unique layout of NH race to Vegas was not an improvement on the schedule in the least. This is going to be something different. Something that hasn't been done. And..... it's being done at the expense of one of the many 1.5er's on the schedule. That's an awesome step in the right direction. No, it's not a road course layout by design but damn, I know I'll be looking forward to this change.

Vegas is miles better than Charlotte over the past few years. And a road course is better than New Hampshire.

Son of a b!+ch. They could have used the NH road course!

Does Vegas have a road course?

He mentions that there could be two solid overtaking opportunities if they do what he suggests they do on the backstretch, which I would assume is a makeshift chicane. Otherwise, you're left with Turn 1. Not that passing would be impossible everywhere else but it would definitely be more difficult.

He mentions that there could be two solid overtaking opportunities if they do what he suggests they do on the backstretch, which I would assume is a makeshift chicane. Otherwise, you're left with Turn 1. Not that passing would be impossible everywhere else but it would definitely be more difficult.

Is he talking like an Indy car driver or a stock car driver though? Cause there is more opportunity to pass when you can make some room with the bumper.

Is he talking like an Indy car driver or a stock car driver though? Cause there is more opportunity to pass when you can make some room with the bumper.
There won't be many opportunities to do so. The infield section looks to be almost all flow and rhythm. Maybe you can make something happen at the hairpin coming up onto the oval but for the most part it'll be about setting someone up.

I really don't like stadium courses, and this it what it is. It is much better than another 1.5 mile oval, but not by much.

It looks almost as good as a demolition derby. I must be the only negative Nancy here. Right turns and wiggles aren't my idea of a road course. It's a wantabe. It might be fun to watch but it is not a road course.
I feel you. I am not looking forward to this one bit, another gimmick. If they wanted to do a roval, should have tried it a world class Roval at the one in Daytona. I am not opposed to a road course in the "Playoffs" but to put it at Charlotte when there are real road courses out there waiting to be used for a Cup race like Road America, Montreal, Sebring, Laguna Seca or Mid Ohio is a huge waste. I hope this race if they end up doing it, is a disaster so its a one and done.

Last edited:
I feel you. I am not looking forward to this one bit, another gimmick. If they wanted to do a roval, should have tried it a world class Roval at the one in Daytona. I am not opposed to a road course in the Chase but to put it at Charlotte when there are real road courses out there waiting to be used for a Cup race like Road America, Montreal, Sebring, Laguna Seca or Mid Ohio is not impressive to me. I hope this race if they end up doing it, is a disaster so its a one and done.

I'm all for Road America. A great course IMO.

I feel you. I am not looking forward to this one bit, another gimmick. If they wanted to do a roval, should have tried it a world class Roval at the one in Daytona. I am not opposed to a road course in the "Playoffs" but to put it at Charlotte when there are real road courses out there waiting to be used for a Cup race like Road America, Montreal, Sebring, Laguna Seca or Mid Ohio is a huge waste. I hope this race if they end up doing it, is a disaster so its a one and done.
I think the one that would've made the most sense was Kansas. Two race dates including one in the Playoff, and a road course that's hosted actual road racing very recently. Daytona and Homestead have pretty good ones too but I'll be shocked if Daytona ever loses an oval race and Homestead has only the one date. I think it boils down to Charlotte having one more date to play with and the fact that SMI is generally a lot more willing than ISC to mix things up.

I think the one that would've made the most sense was Kansas. Two race dates including one in the Playoff, and a road course that's hosted actual road racing very recently. Daytona and Homestead have pretty good ones too but I'll be shocked if Daytona ever loses an oval race and Homestead has only the one date. I think it boils down to Charlotte having one more date to play with and the fact that SMI is generally a lot more willing than ISC to mix things up.
Never seen the Miami Rovel, what series races on that?

Never seen the Miami Rovel, what series races on that?
A ton of club racing. I think they have a Trans-Am/F4 doubleheader.

The old Grand-Am series used to race there though and Indy Lights do preseason testing there.

Back
Top Bottom