NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

NBC has been getting dumped on by critics for their piss poor coverage of the olympics. Supposedly it is a total **** show over there.

NBC has been getting dumped on by critics for their piss poor coverage of the olympics. Supposedly it is a total sh!t show over there.

It's bad. Really really really bad. Not even the delays, but the whole packaging, the way they only care about two sports, and the way they're airing fewer events on fewer channels. And their overnight coverage is just a rebroadcast of their primetime coverage now.

It's bad. Really really really bad. Not even the delays, but the whole packaging, the way they only care about two sports, and the way they're airing fewer events on fewer channels. And their overnight coverage is just a rebroadcast of their primetime coverage now.
Did you ever even try the link that I gave you? Everything is on there, live.

What were NBC's Olympic ratings Sunday afternoon?

Can't find afternoon ratings for broadcast or cable, just primetime, and an article saying viewership was down Friday and down bigtime Saturday.

Was looking at other ratings and man they're depressing. Only stuff people watch anymore is reality TV and Sean Hannity.

How much bigger is ESPN than FS1? – February 2018 Cable Coverage Estimates
https://sportstvratings.com/how-muc...tober-2017-cable-coverage-estimates-2-2/8703/

NBCSN passes FS1.

Well that sure was interesting and I always wondered about streaming because a guy was telling me that Nascar is way better then it looks because all the younger people stream and no one counts it. Even when it wasn't counted it wasn't big numbers so the guy I was talking to had it all wrong.

Here in Central New York, Spectrum customers were without Fox due to a disagreement. I had to stream the race. Not that that makes much of a difference, but a little I'm sure.

a 22% drop in one year is really sad.... a drop like this cannot be explained only with the Olympics in my opinion...anyway we will have a better idea of the trend in 3-4 races I guess..

Last edited:
Disappointing, I had hoped for better results. Maybe Atlanta will rebound.

In the last few years there's been drivers retire that were responsible for a huge chunk of the viewing audience (Dale Jr., Gordon, Stewart, Kenseth, etc.). The bleeding is probably going to continue for awhile until the people that made up that audience start following a new driver, if they follow anyone at all. The sport is going through an adjustment period in that regard.

I don't know about the 2014 Daytona 500 having a "record setting delay", the 2012 race didn't end until Tuesday morning.
2014 is the race junior won after a 6 or 8 hour rain delay. I remember it fondly because it was the one and only time I was at a race junior won, and it was the 500. We ended up abandoning 2 from our group because they were “too cold” to go back to the track. My brother and I didn’t return to the hotel until 8 the next morning, still don’t remember how we got there.

As far as yesterday’s ratings, likely the new norm. I doubt as a former junior fan I’m watching many races, especially once the weather turns, and I’m reminded why all mile and a half crap tracks are crap.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...orst-in-races-history/?utm_term=.f44b5e057f2e

Just my 2 cents but I thought this article did a good job of showing how the NBA ASG did against Nascar yesterday and today. It also smashes the argument that Nascar is experiencing pain at the same rate as everyone else and that viewership was hurt by the olympics..

I can't do a thing about how many people watch a race or go to the track so no worries mate. If Nascar is on when I turn on the TV OK and if not I do something else. Life will go on.

That was alot of commercials for a record low amount of TV viewers

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...orst-in-races-history/?utm_term=.f44b5e057f2e

Just my 2 cents but I thought this article did a good job of showing how the NBA ASG did against Nascar yesterday and today. It also smashes the argument that Nascar is experiencing pain at the same rate as everyone else and that viewership was hurt by the olympics..

I can't do a thing about how many people watch a race or go to the track so no worries mate. If Nascar is on when I turn on the TV OK and if not I do something else. Life will go on.

I don't know where it has been said that Nascar is experiencing pain at the same rate as anybody else, your making **** up again Skoal. The facts instead of B.S. are that almost all sports are experiencing declines in overall yearly viewership. If you would have read the fine print..the hoop ball ratings were flat with last year. BTW final numbers aren't out but the Olympics are showing early declines in viewership also.

a 22% drop in one year is really sad.... a drop like this cannot be explained only with the Olympics in my opinion...anyway we will have a better idea of the trend in 3-4 races I guess..

Yep, at this rate (22%) in about four more years there will be zero tv audience. Maybe the Cup series could come on back to the old Nashville Fairgrounds. They could easily sell out those 19,000 seats. 5/8ths mile short track racing at its very best.

2014 was an Olympic year.:idunno:

The most important factor RE: 2014 is the 6+ hour rain delay, which usually sends ratings through the floor. The Olympics has some impact. 2010 was an Olympics year too, and it showed a decline vs. 2009 and 2011, but not 22%. The long-term trend is what it is.

The rain delay at Daytona when Jr was leading moved the race deeper into prime time and that was the reason stated for the big increase one year also. :idunno: Another thing to note is how to read a graph. The period is on the left and it goes from 4 to 12 for a period variance of 8. It's an old sales trick to shorten the period. Like make it two or three, so an increase of sales of 1% shows a dramatic spike at first glance. Put the period at 20 and the line would be straight. :D Funny they didn't mention the Olympic factor or how 6 hour rain delays affect the ratings. I've noticed Karp in particular will go to great lengths to explain why the stick n balls are down, but he goes full drama queen when he posts Nascar. Not surprised, he has a football background on his twitter :p So a .5 decrease comparing similar's to similar's BTW 2014 Jr won the Daytona 500.

Last edited:
More nuggets from Sports Media Watch:

"To put the numbers in perspective, three years ago the Atlanta 500 — not exactly on the level of Daytona — pulled the same 5.1 overnight."

I would love it if some other race somehow topped the Daytona 500, but yeah, that's not gonna happen.

"Despite the low numbers, Sunday’s race is on pace to finish as the top FOX program since last month’s NFC Championship Game."

This illustrates why TV networks continue to pay higher and higher rights fees for live sports. Even a badly rated Daytona 500 is still the biggest thing Fox has going for it outside of football. It is traditional entertainment TV that has taken the real ratings dive.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/02/daytona-500-ratings-overnights-low/#respond

Back
Top Bottom