NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

The Xfinity audience would’ve been the third-highest last season behind Daytona spring and Talladega spring. Imo, one of the benefits of having Cup practice and qualifying back as a lead-in again.

The Xfinity audience would’ve been the third-highest last season behind Daytona spring and Talladega spring. Imo, one of the benefits of having Cup practice and qualifying back as a lead-in again.
Xfinity has been trending up the past few years. The drivers in that series are a lot more exciting personalities than in cup IMO. Gragson, Allmendinger, Hemric, Cassill, Berry, Jeb Burton, etc. The racing has been pretty good too. A lot to like about that series.

It's amazing outside of the NFL what these numbers are like for all sports. Markets always correct though, eventually having multiple streaming subscriptions is going to become pricier and they'll all start to bundle creating the same system we have now for basic cable

3+ million racing fans did themselves a disservice by not watching that IndyCar race.
I don’t think anyone expected it to be as good as it was.

It’s not a terrible number but considering it was on the same network as St. Pete with the same green flag time and only got 70% of the audience it makes you wonder how much people really want ovals.

Yeah I heard how terrible Texas was from "super fans" and they got what they wished for. It's a sickness of sorts IMO.

Yeah I heard how terrible Texas was from "super fans" and they got what they wished for. It's a sickness of sorts IMO.
It was definitely not as good in recent years though, this year they did a bunch of work to the track and put on more downforce and the drivers themselves still didn’t expect much after practice. Passing metrics, if you are into that, were up substantially - I think more than in the doubleheader combined last year. So it was a surprise to most.

Did you see the stands? Nobody went to the race either.
It sure didn't look good for what I saw. But to be honest that was the 1st indy race, besides the 500, I've watched in years so I have no idea what a good crowd for them is

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I think NASCAR needs to look at F1 & Indy very closely here, the duration of these races are getting to be far too high in today's era. Outside of football, there is little appetite for anything over 2:30. Both NASCAR & baseball are in a similar predicament

I think NASCAR needs to look at F1 & Indy very closely here, the duration of these races are getting to be far too high in today's era. Outside of football, there is little appetite for anything over 2:30. Both NASCAR & baseball are in a similar predicament
what predicament is that. Up 16% in viewership this year?

While yes, ratings are up.

The key demo numbers show exactly what I've been ringing alarm bells about for years. In a sport that relies on sponsorship, the average age of a fan being 58 isn't sustainable or good.. 10 years ago, it was 49. 20 years from now it will be 78, that isn't sustainable for any major sport. Sponsors don't want people in their 60s and 70s, they want 18-49. Problem is NASCAR's growth isn't really coming from them.

The fact that F1 is coming close to beating if not rivaling NASCAR in that key demo needs to be a massive wake up call, what NASCAR's been doing to get a younger audience hasn't been working. NASCAR's desire for "Game 7" moments has backfired as far as getting that demo, as the fanbase has gotten even older since NASCAR went in that direction.

While F1 has seen massive growth in that demographic, by presenting their sport in a much better fashion and embracing social media (a hit Netflix show helped too). NASCAR's approach has been to turn stock car racing into a frankenstein and into a carnie sideshow.

While yes, ratings are up.

The key demo numbers show exactly what I've been ringing alarm bells about for years. In a sport that relies on sponsorship, the average age of a fan being 58 isn't sustainable or good.. 10 years ago, it was 49. 20 years from now it will be 78, that isn't sustainable for any major sport. Sponsors don't want people in their 60s and 70s, they want 18-49. Problem is NASCAR's growth isn't really coming from them.

The fact that F1 is coming close to beating if not rivaling NASCAR in that key demo needs to be a massive wake up call, what NASCAR's been doing to get a younger audience hasn't been working. NASCAR's desire for "Game 7" moments has backfired as far as getting that demo, as the fanbase has gotten even older since NASCAR went in that direction.

While F1 has seen massive growth in that demographic, by presenting their sport in a much better fashion and embracing social media (a hit Netflix show helped too). NASCAR's approach has been to turn stock car racing into a frankenstein and into a carnie sideshow.
Do you have any clue what so ever about the numbers involved in 1.35 million and 4.003 million? That's close to 4 times as many "key demos"

I watched about 30 minutes of this race at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I learned that even in F1, flat-spotting the crap out of your tires early in a run is a bad idea. o_O I wish I'd been close enough to the set to see who that highly skilled pilot was, but I probably wouldn't recognize his name anyway.

Last edited:
No, no, no..
I want 5 hour races so I can sit in front of my TV and forget about all the crap I hear is going on in the world and drink beer and eat popcorn. Maybe the races need to be longer.

No, no, no..
I want 5 hour races so I can sit in front of my TV and forget about all the crap I hear is going on in the world and drink beer and eat popcorn. Maybe the races need to be longer.
sounds alright except I like to drink my popcorn and eat my beer.

Back
Top Bottom