NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Expected higher numbers but now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing any promotion for the race this year. Something about Texas and that state wanting nobody to know about their races

1649779432324.png

Rain delay didnā€™t help at all, but I wonder if Saturday night dead zone doesnā€™t entirely negate the ā€œdonā€™t compete against the Mastersā€ concept. Not sure how much overlap there is between short track fans and golf fans anyways.
There was golf on last week? lol

Salt + cola is actually very tasty so I can see this legit working šŸ˜‚
When I was a kid, Iā€™d watch farmers come in around lunchtime to my granddadā€™s rural store and get a glass bottle coke, take a swig, then dump a bag of salted peanuts into it. Redneck Gatoradeā€¦

It was actually pretty good!

Bristol & Martinsville need better spring dates. Love those places but sheesh it's not worth freezing my a$$ off. Honestly if we can't move the date back leave it as dirt, these Goodyear tires aren't going to be responsive unless we can get higher ambient temperatures

Ratings were good but attendance did not look so good, they had billboards over thousands of seats and I still saw a lot of empty seats. Having an Easter night race seems to have been good for TV but bad for the racetrack.

Ratings were good but attendance did not look so good, they had billboards over thousands of seats and I still saw a lot of empty seats. Having an Easter night race seems to have been good for TV but bad for the racetrack.
That and the cold. I probably sound like I'm beating a dead horse but that makes spring races tough

There could be a few good reasons why the attendance was down from the previous year. It was no secret that the first race wasn't that good for many different reasons. But most of the reasons was because it was the first one and usually it takes a few times to perfect something. That is why racing is usually better if the teams get to practice on any given weekend. They try things and then make changes to make it better. I'm sure the very first apple pie a grandma made wasn't the famous delicious apple pie grandmas make now that so many people have grown to love. So, a lot of fans may have decided to save their money this year and watch it on tv instead of taking a chance of wasting their time and money not knowing if it was going to be any better then the previous year "which it was". But since NASCAR and teams made changes since last year and the race was much better this year those fans may come back next year. Also how many fans looked at the weather and figured it was going to rain much more then it did and decided to stay home and watch it on tv in the comfort of their dry warm home. Heck a lot of the fans in the racing thread was ready to give up at the first small drizzle. You also have to take in consideration how many fans didn't attend because of it being on Easter Sunday. They could do easter with their family and still watch it on tv but not be able to make it to the track and watch it live. I think if they stick with it this race will just get better and better each year and will grow an even larger fan base.

Absolutely. I know so many of us are purists on here but the casual fans want Daytona & Dega
I don't know what a Nascar purist is? Purist racing. Is it when they raced on the beach, or at dirt tracks, or after 1959 when Daytona Super Speedway came about? Or is it someone who sticks their nose up when there is a race they don't like they morf into one?

What is interesting is that AutoClub, Vegas, and Dega are almost deadlocked in the ratings and those are three entirely different tracks.

Atlanta didnā€™t really really see an appreciably bigger TV audience due to being a 510 track. People were watching Daytona and Talladega long before anyone came up with plates or spacers and their crown jewel status cemented from those days maintains big audiences to this day.

Those four plus the finale, Coke 600, and Brickyard 400 (oval) could typically be counted on to produce higher ratings than the other races around the same time on the calendar, even though the latter two probably havenā€™t/hadnā€™t been fan favorite events for a while.

Atlanta didnā€™t really really see an appreciably bigger TV audience due to being a 510 track. People were watching Daytona and Talladega long before anyone came up with plates or spacers and their crown jewel status cemented from those days maintains big audiences to this day.

Those four plus the finale, Coke 600, and Brickyard 400 (oval) could typically be counted on to produce higher ratings than the other races around the same time on the calendar, even though the latter two probably havenā€™t/hadnā€™t been fan favorite events for a while.
Must be purist tracks then lol. BTW Atlanta was up 6% over last years Atlanta race

I think the Brickyard is something that needs to absolutely be revisited, this car in my opinion would be extremely fascinating to see there. Bigger tires, bigger brakes and symmetry would create a slipstream type of effect in my opinion with chicken being played into T1 & T3

I think the Brickyard is something that needs to absolutely be revisited, this car in my opinion would be extremely fascinating to see there. Bigger tires, bigger brakes and symmetry would create a slipstream type of effect in my opinion with chicken being played into T1 & T3
I'm not a fan of that at all, but that could happen. There seems to be tremendous pressure to run the oval. That track is designed completely for IndyCars, roughed up surface, shallow banking, one lane narrow corners...but Indy and a large Indy fan base.
I think the car would put on a better race on the road course, the old car did IMO.

I'm not a fan of that at all, but that could happen. There seems to be tremendous pressure to run the oval. That track is designed completely for IndyCars, roughed up surface, shallow banking, one lane narrow corners...but Indy and a large Indy fan base.
I think the car would put on a better race on the road course, the old car did IMO.
If it wasn't for the damn curbs LOL! It works well for Indycars because of the massive runs they get down those huge straights. Absolutely amazing to watch those guys hang on through the corners and slingshot around each other on the straights. I think stock cars could do something similar with the lack of sideforce, but more battling between 1-2 & 3-4 than Indy has

If it wasn't for the damn curbs LOL! It works well for Indycars because of the massive runs they get down those huge straights. Absolutely amazing to watch those guys hang on through the corners and slingshot around each other on the straights. I think stock cars could do something similar with the lack of sideforce, but more battling between 1-2 & 3-4 than Indy has
Indycars can slingshot pass because they aren't pushing much air compared to a Nascar that stalls out when they step out to pass...oof overtake...it's Indy after all.

Back
Top Bottom