NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

And people wonder why Atlanta is what it is now
I went to Atlanta this year as I have done since the 80s. I can say that never before did I stay so focused on the entire race as I did this year. Not sure it makes it better. We have seen some tremendous races such as Harvick's 2001 win, Carl Edwards first win in a photo finish over Johnson and Kulwicki's championship. But even during those great races there were lulls in the action.

But it might be possible for the new Nascar's to go into the corners at Indy two wide and the top lane could hold so a better car could make a pass.

I went to Atlanta this year as I have done since the 80s. I can say that never before did I stay so focused on the entire race as I did this year. Not sure it makes it better. We have seen some tremendous races such as Harvick's 2001 win, Carl Edwards first win in a photo finish over Johnson and Kulwicki's championship. But even during those great races there were lulls in the action.
Careful, you will incur the wrath of the flatfooters lol. The stages have taken most of the riding around away from the series on just about every track I believe. Atlanta on top of that has added excitement with the reconfig IMO. A whole lot of side by side racing and passing at Atlanta now.

Must be purist tracks then lol. BTW Atlanta was up 6% over last years Atlanta race
It wasn’t a bad number, just more in line with the races surrounding it compared to Daytona and Talladega which are usually significant outliers.

I think the Brickyard is something that needs to absolutely be revisited, this car in my opinion would be extremely fascinating to see there. Bigger tires, bigger brakes and symmetry would create a slipstream type of effect in my opinion with chicken being played into T1 & T3
Last they said was they’re in the early planning stages of some kind of rotation between the oval and road course, depending on how well this year’s race does. It is certainly worth a test to see how it goes. This car seems to mostly help bigger tracks above all else.

It wasn’t a bad number, just more in line with the races surrounding it compared to Daytona and Talladega which are usually significant outliers.
Yeah this year the numbers have been steady except Martinsville where everything that could go wrong did.

Yeah this year the numbers have been steady except Martinsville where everything that could go wrong did.
For the first time in many years it’s unpredictable. Last year you could assume that Larson was going to win a mile and a half. Elliott was going to win a road course. A Gibbs car was going to win a short track. This year, you just have no idea. It’s keeping people engaged.

I'm not a fan of that at all, but that could happen. There seems to be tremendous pressure to run the oval. That track is designed completely for IndyCars, roughed up surface, shallow banking, one lane narrow corners...but Indy and a large Indy fan base.
I think the car would put on a better race on the road course, the old car did IMO.
That track was designed before 1909.
Maybe the cars were designed for the track???

Careful, you will incur the wrath of the flatfooters lol. The stages have taken most of the riding around away from the series on just about every track I believe. Atlanta on top of that has added excitement with the reconfig IMO. A whole lot of side by side racing and passing at Atlanta now.
I’d agree with that. The racing is as aggressive as ever, these dudes claw that entire time

NASCAR needs to learn an important lesson from F1. The younger generation with the exception of football could not care less about any sport that takes more than 2 hours to complete. I know I’m beating a dead horse but as someone in their 20s I feel like the last of a dying breed who like baseball and NASCAR

Seems a peculiar low number. Not sure of the reasons for it departing from the overall trend, aside from cable audience degradation.

Seems a peculiar low number. Not sure of the reasons for it departing from the overall trend, aside from cable audience degradation.
Went up head-to-head against the biggest event of the week, Bucks/Celtics Game 7, as well. At this point last year I don’t think the playoffs had even started yet. Some of the year-to-year comparisons might be off for a bit because of that.

2.481M for the ASR, 1.555M for the Open, 692K Xfinity, 482K Trucks. All down from last year, which was in mid-June.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering how many folks were anxiously awaiting that post race soccer match. They rushed the post race interview with Blaney, didn;t even give him time to hand the flag to a fan and quickly got out of Dodge for the 303k (that's 12% of the NASCAR audience) that wanted to see a soccer match which I believe was already on FX2.

Question, why do networks broadcast the races on cable only channels such as FS1 and NBCSN even when they don't have a major event on the main channel? I have seen infomercials on our FOX channel when the races was broadcast on FS1.

Is there an explanation for the huge drop in IndyCar viewership? I thought having JJ in the race would boost the ratings yet they lost 900k viewers.

I know that's a HUGE drop what a disappointment.

Could it be the Indy TV blackout for the local area?

NBC was pumping the hell out of it too. I was watching MSNBC for coverage of the Uvalde massacre and they had countless commercials for the Indy 500. But, as much as I love the Indy 500, I can honestly say that, even with Darth in the field, I wasn't excited for it. IndyCar is lacking starpower, and it doesn't help that all the build up for that race is on a failed streaming service.

I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but NASCAR needs to get the hell off of Fox. The only way they can grow their audience being on Fox networks is to put the races on Fox News Channel and hope Tucker Carlson's viewers tune in. The CW was getting better primetime ratings a few years ago with its Arrowverse programming than Fox is now.

Remember that saying about rising tides?

The NHL and NBA are both on ESPN and Turner Sports. And both are seeing ratings gains.

Weather was beautiful on the east coast this year when it was horrible last year. Rain and cold keeps people inside watching the races.

As Daytripper alluded to, the weather can have a huge factor on the ratings. If the weather's nice, people are going to be out and about instead of being in the house. Even then, had to be a bigger factor than that for the Indy 500 to lose 20 percent of its viewership.

Too bad radio ratings aren't measured as frequently as television is, but it would be interesting to know how many people had their radios tuned to Sunday's races.

Is there an explanation for the huge drop in IndyCar viewership? I thought having JJ in the race would boost the ratings yet they lost 900k viewers.

18% lower HUT figure compared to the same time last year is what they’re saying. There were 218k on Peacock compared to about 35k last year, which probably makes up for a lot of the ~ 75% drop in the Indianapolis market rating.

Still not a good figure imo.

Too bad radio ratings aren't measured as frequently as television is, but it would be interesting to know how many people had their radios tuned to Sunday's races.
As a kid, the only option for us was to listen to the radio. I was always so excited to listen to the 500 broadcast. Just sat on the floor next to our big radio listening to it!

As Daytripper alluded to, the weather can have a huge factor on the ratings. If the weather's nice, people are going to be out and about instead of being in the house. Even then, had to be a bigger factor than that for the Indy 500 to lose 20 percent of its viewership.

I don't think it's the weather.

I think this was the first "normal" Memorial Day Weekend since 2019. Everything's open. Beaches are open, hotels are open at full capacity, restaurants are open at full capacity, and people aren't concerned with COVID anymore.

I don't think it's the weather.

I think this was the first "normal" Memorial Day Weekend since 2019. Everything's open. Beaches are open, hotels are open at full capacity, restaurants are open at full capacity, and people aren't concerned with COVID anymore.
Tons of local short tracks raced Sunday night as well. I could’ve gone to several races within 3 hours of my house.

Back
Top Bottom