NASCAR Testing new Plate-Track Aero Package stuff

Acs

Team Owner
“But what officials don't know, Stefanyshyn said, is ‘when we put cars together (out on the track), will it screw up the racing?’”

Mr. Stefanyshyn, your NASCAR Senior Vice President Innovation and Racing Developmentship, sir, please explain screwed up racing.

They really love lowering these cars, don't they?

giphy.gif

I'm curious as to what the liftoff panels look like.

Anything that increases throttle response is a plus in my book.

Unless these liftoff panels do some whacky things I really don't think this will do anything to change the racing, which could be a good or bad thing. Probably just slightly faster, but more stable and safer pack racing like we've always seen. Anything that cuts down on the flips is good for me.

Unless these liftoff panels do some whacky things I really don't think this will do anything to change the racing, which could be a good or bad thing. Probably just slightly faster, but more stable and safer pack racing like we've always seen. Anything that cuts down on the flips is good for me.
Flips are actually a good thing because they greatly absorb energy over a long period of time. The severe wrecks are those that involve the cars staying on the ground and slamming into a wall/car at a high speed where there is very little energy absorption. This is why the SAFER barriers have been so effective...they absorb energy. What NASCAR should really be focusing on in terms of car liftoff is the catch fence.

“But what officials don't know, Stefanyshyn said, is ‘when we put cars together (out on the track), will it screw up the racing?’”

Mr. Stefanyshyn, your NASCAR Senior Vice President Innovation and Racing Developmentship, sir, please explain screwed up racing.
That's easy. It's what we already see at the plate tracks four times a year.

I don't know why they don't make a separate practice in July for this kind of thing and make these guys get out there in a pack to truly test this stuff. Doesn't have to be a full field but maybe a pack of 20. Just roll out some primered test cars and go at it for an hour. The only way you're going to get a good idea of how the cars are going to react. Better than taking a swing at an actual points paying race and having it fail miserably.

I don't know why they don't make a separate practice in July for this kind of thing and make these guys get out there in a pack to truly test this stuff. Doesn't have to be a full field but maybe a pack of 20. Just roll out some primered test cars and go at it for an hour. The only way you're going to get a good idea of how the cars are going to react. Better than taking a swing at an actual points paying race and having it fail miserably.

M-O-N-E-Y.

Wasn't the whole idea of a plate to stop cars from flipping....yet they still do:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wasn't the whole idea of a plate to stop cars from flipping....yet they still do:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
It was to prevent cars from getting airborne and flying above the catch fence. There will never be a no airborne scenario so long as these cars reach nearly 200 mph. The odds of that happening can be greatly reduced but it will never be 100% preventable at any track.

It was to prevent cars from getting airborne and flying above the catch fence. There will never be a no airborne scenario so long as these cars reach nearly 200 mph. The odds of that happening can be greatly reduced but it will never be 100% preventable at any track.
Seriously....see Larson into fence at Daytona, plates are joke always have been always will be.

Flips are actually a good thing because they greatly absorb energy over a long period of time. The severe wrecks are those that involve the cars staying on the ground and slamming into a wall/car at a high speed where there is very little energy absorption. This is why the SAFER barriers have been so effective...they absorb energy. What NASCAR should really be focusing on in terms of car liftoff is the catch fence.
The act of the flipping car disperses the energy in the form of rolling until the car comes to a stop. The last thing we want is the car absorbing the brunt of the impacts.

Roof flaps.

Someday, and it may be the next motorsports entertainment event at Talladega ‘dega or Daytona ‘toner, someone’ll end up in the fence – luck’ll run out ‘n Eunice ‘n Earl, who faithfully attended the plate shows to see The Big One the thrilling, strategy packed chess matches that these events truly are, will be carried out in body bags. NASCAR’s broadcast partners will run a strip-mall, photo-mill portrait of the couple in better days during the next several TV events.

Until then, folks like NASCAR Senior Vice President Innovation and Racing Development, Gene Stefanyshyn, will continue to fiddle with it ‘n ponder screwed up racing.

The settlement will make the Ward family’s take from Stewart look like coins found under the couch cushions.

Skoal, y’all.

Difference between doing this at 190 vs. 230-240 is pretty dramatic. The plates have dramatically improved safety.
Plates have not made racing any better, the question of safety is attributed to better and safer built cars. How are 30 car pile ups not a safety issue, because that's what we have every plate race. Eventually some one is going to get maimed or killed. Nascar has continually put a band aid on this problem right from the start.

Plates have not made racing any better, the question of safety is attributed to better and safer built cars. How are 30 car pile ups not a safety issue, because that's what we have every plate race. Eventually some one is going to get maimed or killed. Nascar has continually put a band aid on this problem right from the start.
Eventually??? How about 'Already'?

Regardless, you're talking about driver safety. That's irrelevant. Plates are all about spectator safety.

The big wrecks have produced surprisingly few injuries. They're not as big of a safety concern as you're trying to frame them as.

ANY accident at 230-240 could be catastrophic, there's only so much you can do to build the cars to be safe. Plates have made Daytona and Talladega safer.

Eventually??? How about 'Already'?

Regardless, you're talking about driver safety. That's irrelevant. Plates are all about spectator safety.
No....it should be about driver safety too, how many cars have gone into the catch fence since plates were implemented??

Would you believe it, NASCAR is testing another safety feature to keep the cars on the ground and this thread devolves into HURR DURR PL8 RACING SUCKS and somehow trying to justify taking the plates off as more safe. Every time one of these threads pops up the dark underbelly of the stereotypical NASCAR fan rears its head and shows just how little some fans know about racing even after 30 years.

Would you believe it, NASCAR is testing another safety feature to keep the cars on the ground and this thread devolves into HURR DURR PL8 RACING SUCKS and somehow trying to justify taking the plates off as more safe. Every time one of these threads pops up the dark underbelly of the stereotypical NASCAR fan rears its head and shows just how little some fans know about racing even after 30 years.

No....it should be about driver safety too, how many cars have gone into the catch fence since plates were implemented??
Don't get me wrong, driver safety is important. But plates were implemented strictly to keep cars at speeds that (theoretically) will keep them from going through the fences.

As long as Gus and Gertie keep buying tickets and tuning in to see The Big One, neither NASCAR nor ISC will implement the final solutions - either knocking down the banking so drivers have to take their feet off the gas and use the brake pedal entering 1 and 3, or using the road course at Daytona and building one at Talladega.

TAKE DEM PLATES OFF ‘N MAKE IT SAFER. HUBBA HUBBA HUBBA….. Heh, heh, heh. Oh well......

How many cars in the fence you ask? Here ya go, start with Dillon ‘n work your way backwards. Should keep ya busy for awhile.

Fan safety would be greatly improved if the main seating at the flag stand looked like the seats coming off four – empty.

TAKE DEM PLATES OFF ‘N MAKE IT SAFER. HUBBA HUBBA HUBBA….. Heh, heh, heh. Oh well......

How many cars in the fence you ask? Here ya go, start with Dillon ‘n work your way backwards. Should keep ya busy for awhile.

Fan safety would be greatly improved if the main seating at the flag stand looked like the seats coming off four – empty.

Exactly

As safe as the cars are, and the fence does it's, cant they add a thinner (easily seen through) net a few feet back to catch debris that get through the main fence? I suppose you could have a walk area between the two fences what you sign a waiver to get access (or verbal is good enough with me).

Personally, I don't mind seeing a car take off now and then. I am looking to be entertained and the cars seem safe enough.

Edit : I hope they didn't already do the second fence and I'm behind on the update.

The ignorance of this thread is staggering. There's a reason Indycar continues to lose lives and our sport does not, we don't have the speeds they do.

It's why I thought for sure MIS would throw plates when they were having guys hit 220 down the backstretch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they can show me technology that keeps a car from coming off the track, I'm all ears. You might stop some instances, but you can't prevent all of them. Too many perfect storms brewing.

Facts are, we’ve seen various aero devices designed to keep cars out of the stands ‘n cars/heavy parts are still coming dangerously close. Regardless of what they employ, when air gets under a car and pushes up harder than the air on top of it of the thing is pushin’ down it’s coming off the ground.

Imagine Larson’s motor breakin’ thru and rollin’ just five or ten yards down row three. One or more someones would have been seriously injured or killed.

A thread can’t be ignorant. That’s reserved for those posting in it.
Thanks for clarify :D
Imagine Larson’s motor breakin’ thru and rollin’ just five or ten yards down row three. One or more someones would have been seriously injured or killed.
Yeah, that's pretty bad to think about, but I think the way the cars break apart and the bigger material reflects (rolls) when they hit the fence, it would be a rare scenario to have that happen. Not saying impossible.

This is one that always sticks in my head.

If nascar would slow the cars down with less horsepower and less downforce/aero we wouldn't need plates in the first place, no need for the cars to be going any faster than 180-190.:rolleyes:
they could do this if they ran real stock cars, 150 mph max

If nascar would slow the cars down with less horsepower and less downforce/aero we wouldn't need plates in the first place, no need for the cars to be going any faster than 180-190.:rolleyes:

Then they would still be running in packs wide open at whatever speed the horsepower would allow. Your argument is invalid.

Back
Top Bottom