NASCAR To Convert California Into Short Track

Wait, are they taking one of the only consistently entertaining ~2mi race track and demolishing it to change it to a short track?

I will give this one an honest chance to impress me. I will definitely show up to watch a race on a short track there. I have never been very entertained watching the race live on the big track. Watching it on tv is a different story.

Pockrass says construction to start after the Spring race 2021, for first short-track race in 2022.

How long is Phoenix guaranteed the Championship race because if this track has good racing I'm sure NASCAR would love to have the championship at what would-be their "NexGen" track.

Can't wait to see how SoCal takes to Martinsville hot dogs. Maybe there will be a latte version..??

I know most of y'all disagree with me, but I've always thought "six" was the right number for Cup series short track races. But in this new era of flaccid motors and excessive downforce on high-speed tracks, I guess more short tracks will be a net gain even for me. 'Cause I agree with what @BobbyFord said...
Might as well. They don’t have enough horsepower to run 2 miles anymore.

unnamed.png

As long as they leave Tona and Dega alone I'm good with and actually a little excited about the change to California Speedway. Because even with free tickets I couldn't get into going to Cal Speedway the past couple of years.

So the garage is outside the track? Very interesting. Vibes of going to Bristol in the late 80s and early 90s when the haulers parked outside the track and the crews worked on the cars on pit road during practice with nothing put the pit box and a tailgaiting tent. (I know new track will have state of the art garages, but still...) If a car "has to go to the garage" for repair, how will it get there and back if allowable during a race? (I know it's really rare since the implementation of the repair clock)

So the garage is outside the track? Very interesting. Vibes of going to Bristol in the late 80s and early 90s when the haulers parked outside the track and the crews worked on the cars on pit road during practice with nothing put the pit box and a tailgaiting tent. (I know new track will have state of the art garages, but still...) If a car "has to go to the garage" for repair, how will it get there and back if allowable during a race? (I know it's really rare since the implementation of the repair clock)
I think if you look at the white rectangle in turn 3 and 4 it almost looks to me like a tunnel.

Not sure I agree with Bob here. IndyCar wasn't going back to current California anyway. It actually seems slightly more likely that they would race a true short track (if the banking isn't crazy high) than the long intermediates they've left behind. Neither were likely, but it's fun to dream about a 900 HP lower downforce next gen IndyCar making laps at the new track.

Reading Matt Weaver on twitter this track design sounds crazy, they plan to use part of the current front stretch and the new back stretch is the current pit road hence the long straights and need for real tight corners. This place will be wild when built!

Needless to say, this is gonna be EXPENSIVE
I said that on Twitter. For that kind of money, a person could buy North Wilkesboro, get it to 2021 standards, and still have money left over. But if they sale the land around it, they'll make back a bunch. Sucks the best 1.5-mile/2-mile track will go away.

Wait, are they taking one of the only consistently entertaining ~2mi race track and demolishing it to change it to a short track?

Because it needs a repave soon. It would be wildly expensive and take away the track's main selling point (the worn surface), turning it into a worse version of Michigan for the next decade.

Because it needs a repave soon. It would be wildly expensive and take away the track's main selling point (the worn surface), turning it into a worse version of Michigan for the next decade.

I agree, we're at 7 years since Michigan was repaved and its still 1 1/2 grooves.

If you are talking about the way it is set up now the garage isn't outside.
No I'm looking at the plans for the new track where the question asked was if the garage is outside how do they get in

If you are talking about the way it is set up now the garage isn't outside.
Look at the blueprint: On the lower left, below the area labeled "Paddock," theres long parking spaces. Park haulers there, and keep infield free like Bristol used to be for good sight lines?

Back
Top Bottom