NASCAR To Convert California Into Short Track

I never heard mention that it would be asphalt or concrete. Is this the dirt track???

I really can't wait until 2022.

Like I wake up and it's the first damn thing I saw today, and have been so excited since.

well if I may.... Kentucky I've been to was in the boonies ( stayed in Louisville which was about 1 hr away), Chicagoland is in Elwood not Joliet which has 80 close by but nothing else except two gas stations ,liquor stores and Amazon warehouses, Bristol is in the middle of nowhere well except a few miles down there are restaurants and gas stations but the nearest hotel we stayed at was Johnson City TN ( race day about 30 min away). I think its awesome that there is going to be a short track in a top 3 largest TV market and on the west coast to boot, im very excited. But most of these tracks are in the middle of nowhere, if Wilkesboro or The Rock were on the schedule I'd probably just stay in Charlotte and drive to them. But thats me I get its not for everyone. Plus also NASCAR doesnt own Wilkes or the Rock, I think they own Fontana so hence this is why this is happening. Now Im praying Chicagoland becomes a Richmond clone when its their turn to repave.

I don't know about Bristol being in the middle of nowhere. But of course that's coming from a Pocono and a New Hampshire regular. You're literally in the woods til these sprawling racetracks pop out of nowhere at those two tracks lol.

I hope it gets approved and then ends up being a great race... maybe it could interest OTHER tracks to consider such a similar idea.

If this play works for California I could totally see the track getting a lot of attention on nascars schedules. Very smart play at a very critical time when a lot of things are somewhat up in the air.

I’m impressed with the idea alone and it’s timing.

Other tracks ought to take quick notice and consider the idea.

i would rather see a 2 mile figure 8 withe an overpass like suzuka.
this new half miler should be up near seattle, and have a roof.

i would rather see a 2 mile figure 8 withe an overpass like suzuka.
this new half miler should be up near seattle, and have a roof.

Maybe it will spur somebody's idea.

And given the dimensions, they probably could cover it just like the Tulsa Chili Bowl facility, but it would still take center support poles, and a ridge vent. Maybe make the scoring pylon be the support pole, right smack in the center.

Had to wrestle with the thought that Cali was actually a pretty good Intermediate track especially the last 10 years, but this new design looks epic. Year-round warm climate, half-mile short track LETS GO. My only thing is NASCAR is about to spend 200 million for this when Irwindale is 45 minutes away.

About it. Great move. **** needs a repave. It would then turn into Michigan for 10 years and then into an Amazon warehouse.

I AM FINALLY GETTING MY CUP-READY SHORT TRACK IN SOCAL WTF

Not sure I agree with Bob here. IndyCar wasn't going back to current California anyway. It actually seems slightly more likely that they would race a true short track (if the banking isn't crazy high) than the long intermediates they've left behind. Neither were likely, but it's fun to dream about a 900 HP lower downforce next gen IndyCar making laps at the new track.

They weren't coming back anyways. They were trying to kill themselves in front of 10k people... If anything this helps Indy's chances.. Ruins the weekend warrior road race stuff but hey, solid compromise!

They weren't coming back anyways. They were trying to kill themselves in front of 10k people... If anything this helps Indy's chances.. Ruins the weekend warrior road race stuff but hey, solid compromise!
If Indycar can run at Indy, they can run at any oval over 2 miles IMO. The Las Vegas tragedy shouldn't affect the sport

I hope it gets approved and then ends up being a great race... maybe it could interest OTHER tracks to consider such a similar idea.

If this play works for California I could totally see the track getting a lot of attention on nascars schedules. Very smart play at a very critical time when a lot of things are somewhat up in the air.

I’m impressed with the idea alone and it’s timing.

Other tracks ought to take quick notice and consider the idea.
The circumstances sound similar to those surrounding Chicagoland - old surface, big market, valuable land in area where industry is expanding - but after the city planning commission voted to recommend the council not approve the building of warehouses on unused parking lots that doesn’t appear to have much momentum behind it going into this month’s council vote. Plus, as far as we know the plans only entail building on those old lots.

Sorry, missed a page of this thread which made my post redundant and I can no longer edit or delete.

Being a Roval fan, I've been waiting for another track config change .
A fresh idea and something to look forward to is always a good thing.

Greg Moore did more then try in 1999.

This makes me think about Atlanta as well. It will need a repave sooner than later and I wonder if they will go back to it's original shape?
This one has always baffled me, for all the good Smith has done for the sport why would he do something so profoundly stupid, hopefully it does get put back the way it was but I'm not holding my breath.

This one has always baffled me, for all the good Smith has done for the sport why would he do something so profoundly stupid, hopefully it does get put back the way it was but I'm not holding my breath.

Homestead is basically what Atlanta was which is why I like Homestead. I feel like Homestead is such a forgotten track imo and it shouldn't be.

While I hate to see a track basically blown up if this is what it takes to keep NASCAR in SoCal then I'm onboard. I never understood the Michigan 2.0 design from the beginning; and I really like MIS so having something different will be pretty cool. So long as its not a Bristol or Martinsville clone obviously.

When you think about it, there's been A LOT of tracks altered and I'm not sure it's been for the better relatively speaking. Adding banking at Bristol and turning Homestead into old Atlanta I think were the absolute right call. Richmond desperately needed a facility upgrade but I'm not sure if the .750 layout is better than the old 1/2 mile bullring. If my memory is correct Bristol, Atlanta, Homestead, Kentucky, Richmond, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sears Point (for several years at least), Texas have all seen "significant" to major changes?

Last edited:
Same with Wilkesboro and Rockingham, which helped lead to their demise.

I think it had more to do with market saturation than track location. Pocono, Watkins Glen, Michigan, Martinsville, Kentucky, Talladega are all rural and I don't think it's ever worked against them.

I thought it was going to be another slow nascar news day. Wow!! We might actually have to save up and plan to go see the west coast swing in person in '22.

Great news. ACS would have blown with just a repave. Holy crap did we dodge that. Now NASCAR has a chance to redevelop all the land and build a truly modern fan experience rivalling Daytona.

My only question is how this configuration will race? Long straights and high banks scream ride the top to me. I can't imagine the bottom lane working with corner radius so tight unless there's just a ton more grip there somehow.

holy cow. Uhm....I'm speechless and want to see a 3D model
So I just tried to 3D model it. I'm not "great" at CAD, but i can get stuff done.

I literally cannot get the transitions from a 25 degree banking to 11 degree front/backstretch to compute in that tight of a radius. It seriously does not jive. Pro-E is like "What are you doing, this is not reasonable"

Exit off 2 will be real tight
That looks incredibly wild, I’m here for it
595662AD-03CE-41C1-B439-C6AB9EC29FB3.gif

Great news. ACS would have blown with just a repave. Holy crap did we dodge that. Now NASCAR has a chance to redevelop all the land and build a truly modern fan experience rivalling Daytona.

My only question is how this configuration will race? Long straights and high banks scream ride the top to me. I can't imagine the bottom lane working with corner radius so tight unless there's just a ton more grip there somehow.

Put some PJ1 down there and see what happens lol

This makes me think about Atlanta as well. It will need a repave sooner than later and I wonder if they will go back to it's original shape?

Atlanta needs a repave ASAP. It was cool but now that’s turned into an embarrassment of how bad the surface is

They should make Atlanta a figure 8 suicide derby track lol.

Back
Top Bottom