NASCAR to electric by 2021?

Ya know, if it's just the sound of a loud engine that draws some people, they can always stick a sound chip and a couple of thumpers in the rear window. Might even use them to prop those rear windows up. :rolleyes:

Brad has some interesting points, but I dunno about some of them. He's worried about the battery waste from all-electic cars but overlooks that batteries from hybrids have the same issue. He's rightly concerned about the safety hazards of batteries but then proposes putting them in right beside the driver. I wonder how he'd feel about putting the gas tank there?

Last edited:
How about a parallel series earlier or later in the day or week which mirrored some of the ...or all of the MENCS schedule. I could see Nissan investing in that
Yes something like this makes more sense to do. Create a new series for electric cars and keep cup like it is. If it takes off, the electric series might become the feature and cup becomes a support series.

No need for people to get their panties in a wad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes something like this makes more sense to do. Create a new series for electric cars and keep cup like it is. If it takes off, the electric series might become the feature and cup becomes a support series.

No need for people to get their panties in a wad.
NASCAR has had a variety of series over the decades, with varying degrees of success. Convertibles, 4-cylinders, trucks, etc. This would just be one more.

NASCAR has had a variety of series over the decades, with varying degrees of success. Convertibles, 4-cylinders, trucks, etc. This would just be one more.
Exactly. Some have worked and some have not. Any article claiming the NASCAR is going electric is just clickbait.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hybrid power in the future?
In NASCAR's yearly address to the media, Phelps also discussed the idea of alternative power in its championship.

Penske's Brad Keselowski has previously advocated hybrid power in the Cup series.

"Is electrification on the [agenda] in the future potentially? Yeah, it certainly is," said Phelps.

"Can I see a time in the future that we will have that? I definitely do.

"When we get there, how we get there, what it looks like, there's a lot of work to do between now and then.

"But I can assure you that we are looking at it right now."

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-finding-fourth-cup-manufacturer/4306982/

Right now they have sport cars that would destroy a Nascar in competition and they are electric.
I for one am thrilled with the idea. I learned from my grandfather who watched the first airplanes, the first cars and the first man on the moon. He never owned a car but he would let his sons drive him around. I think he would be fascinated with the quiet electric cars. They also have huge transports rolling down the highway that are all electric. :biggrin:

Talk to any Prius owner who needs a new battery pack and has a quote from the dealer. It is around 4 grand parts and labor. bzzzt

Talk to any Prius owner who needs a new battery pack and has a quote from the dealer. It is around 4 grand parts and labor. bzzzt

Maybe down in your parts, Tonto, but not in my area. Besides why would anyone put a new battery in an old car when there are other alternatives?

I had kicked around the idea of getting a used Nissan Leaf to commute in, as the 4 or 5 year old ones are pretty cheap now. That was until I found out replacing the battery packs would cost me more than what I’d pay for the car.

I had kicked around the idea of getting a used Nissan Leaf to commute in, as the 4 or 5 year old ones are pretty cheap now. That was until I found out replacing the battery packs would cost me more than what I’d pay for the car.
there was a guy on YouTube called Chris Fix that put a set of rebuilt batteries in a Prius. He got a factory estimate print out first and then he did it himself. When he was done tearing the thing apart and putting it all back together, I was not sure if I would have just gone ahead and paid the dealer instead of the extra 2 grand he saved.

there was a guy on YouTube called Chris Fix that put a set of rebuilt batteries in a Prius. He got a factory estimate print out first and then he did it himself When he was done tearing the thing apart and putting it all back together, I was not sure if I would have just gone ahead and paid the dealer instead of the extra 2 grand he saved.
And the Prius is just a hybrid, the full electrics are even worse. The Leaf I looked at was $4,900. The battery pack replacement on one of those is $5,500 plus labor.

And the Prius is just a hybrid, the full electrics are even worse. The Leaf I looked at was $4,900. The battery pack replacement on one of those is $5,500 plus labor.
They aren't practical, they cost too much, there are very few charging stations, and most I say most don't have a range long enough. With the price of gas around 2.30 gallon, gas powered cars are the way to go. Until gas hits 5.00 a gallon again, electric cars are a niche, that 5.00 mark won't happen anytime soon.

Another crush it, ship off the steel and the batteries to another country to recycle, damn we are green now.

Anyone remember buying one of the first computers? cell phones? Yes they were awful expensive. Every new invention is expensive because of the investments it took to make it a reality. Electric cars will be the same, once they are common so will the costs. I think it is worth it if you can afford it.

I like the smell of burned racing fuel. Hopefully they’ll be able to duplicate that.
The sweetest smell in the world was Klotz and AV gas coming out the pipe of my two stroke.

The day nascar goes electric is the last day I watch. All they are are 1:1 scale slot cars. The noise of the cars pushing those engines to the limit is music to my ears. It’s half the fun of seeing them live. I’ll take Vrooooom over Woooosh any day. Pit stops in involve changing cars ? No thank you.

The day nascar goes electric is the last day I watch. All they are are 1:1 scale slot cars. The noise of the cars pushing those engines to the limit is music to my ears. It’s half the fun of seeing them live. I’ll take Vrooooom over Woooosh any day. Pit stops in involve changing cars ? No thank you.

No changing cars, 2 men over the wall to change tires and a 30 second battery charge is
all it will need.

I figured changing would be it, they do that in Formula E.
Formula E won't be doing that this year. The battery technology has improved to where they can run the entire race on one battery. Yes, it's only a 45-minute race, but the battery technology, like any other new tech, continues to improve.

I am used to internal combustion engines but I would not thumb my nose at an electric Nascar if I enjoyed the racing.

Shorter races with electric cars may usher in a new generation of fans......or not.

Driver A is getting great lithium usage per foot. It could happen as we have greenies, very earnest safetyniks, global warmers and many others that would like to curtail use of the internal combustion engine.

right now it is government global blackmail for manufacturers. They are forcing them to make them. Musk is the only one crazy enough (using Uncle Sugars money) to try to produce a pure electric for the street, his people's cheap electro idea he sold is no longer affordable, price ballooned out of sight for the average person. And you get to plug it in to the coal fired grid at night. ah Whoopie

You must be writing about the USA. Europe is going electric. The UK has mandated that newly manufactured cars be electric and the prices of those vehicles aren't beyond what a everyday consumer can handle.

Europe is going electric. The UK has mandated that newly manufactured cars be electric and the prices of those vehicles aren't beyond what a everyday consumer can handle.
What is the source for this info? I'd like to read more about this. Please post the link.

What is the source for this info? I'd like to read more about this. Please post the link.
Google 'European countries mandate electric cars', please. I'd post the results myself but I'm testing some network changes and I can't get to Google right now. (Hell, I don't know how I'm getting HERE!) Hopefully when I get home...

Many European countries have set deadlines for all-electric in the next 20 to 30 years, although how much progress they'll make is a wait-and-see question. I've seen articles in various mainstream media outlets like CNN, New York Times, etc.

Who the fu.. wants to watch electric cars go around in circles? I think NA$CAR will be long dead before then with self driving cars coming along and all.

Many people ask the same question about all forms of racing.

I don't get why so many people seem to think NASCAR would implement electric racing as a replacement for current cars. Like Formula, any electrics NASCAR brings in will likely be a separate series. The sanctioning body has demonstrated that it's capable of (mis)managing more than one series at a time. :rolleyes:

Nothing screams excitement like watching the ballet of a 30 second battery challenge.
I like the like idea of the Wood Bros style pit stop and tire change by 2 men competing against each other with no help from tire carriers.
Think of the cost savings. :sarcasm:

A guy I met drove his Tesla from Vancouver, BC to Palm Springs, California, a distance of 1390 miles. The trip took 6 days. That’s down to the 300 mile max permitted by the battery pack and the required 9 hour recharge.

A Formula E car’s weight is less than half that of a Cup car.

2021? Not likely.

Back
Top Bottom