NASCAR to electric by 2021?

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Ford 222, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Ya know, if it's just the sound of a loud engine that draws some people, they can always stick a sound chip and a couple of thumpers in the rear window. Might even use them to prop those rear windows up. :rolleyes:

Brad has some interesting points, but I dunno about some of them. He's worried about the battery waste from all-electic cars but overlooks that batteries from hybrids have the same issue. He's rightly concerned about the safety hazards of batteries but then proposes putting them in right beside the driver. I wonder how he'd feel about putting the gas tank there?

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. sloggie

sloggie Racing I will teach you

Yes something like this makes more sense to do. Create a new series for electric cars and keep cup like it is. If it takes off, the electric series might become the feature and cup becomes a support series.

No need for people to get their panties in a wad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LJ7201 and Charlie Spencer like this.
  3. Charlie Spencer

NASCAR has had a variety of series over the decades, with varying degrees of success. Convertibles, 4-cylinders, trucks, etc. This would just be one more.

4. sloggie

sloggie Racing I will teach you

Exactly. Some have worked and some have not. Any article claiming the NASCAR is going electric is just clickbait.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-finding-fourth-cup-manufacturer/4306982/

6. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Car Chief

Lots of interest in the paddock about new manufacturers.

7. Charlie Spencer

Call me when a manufacturer has submitted a car for approval. Call me when NASCAR asks manufacturers to submit electric ones, too.

IanMcVittie likes this.
  8. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Car Chief

I think Phelps has a good dose of PT Barnum in him.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  9. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

Right now they have sport cars that would destroy a Nascar in competition and they are electric.
    I for one am thrilled with the idea. I learned from my grandfather who watched the first airplanes, the first cars and the first man on the moon. He never owned a car but he would let his sons drive him around. I think he would be fascinated with the quiet electric cars. They also have huge transports rolling down the highway that are all electric. :biggrin:

10. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Talk to any Prius owner who needs a new battery pack and has a quote from the dealer. It is around 4 grand parts and labor. bzzzt

11. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Car Chief

Maybe down in your parts, Tonto, but not in my area. Besides why would anyone put a new battery in an old car when there are other alternatives?

12. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

I had kicked around the idea of getting a used Nissan Leaf to commute in, as the 4 or 5 year old ones are pretty cheap now. That was until I found out replacing the battery packs would cost me more than what I’d pay for the car.

StandOnIt likes this.
  13. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

there was a guy on YouTube called Chris Fix that put a set of rebuilt batteries in a Prius. He got a factory estimate print out first and then he did it himself. When he was done tearing the thing apart and putting it all back together, I was not sure if I would have just gone ahead and paid the dealer instead of the extra 2 grand he saved.

ToyYoda likes this.
  14. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

And the Prius is just a hybrid, the full electrics are even worse. The Leaf I looked at was $4,900. The battery pack replacement on one of those is $5,500 plus labor.

StandOnIt likes this.
  15. Mopardh9

Mopardh9 Team Owner Contributor

They aren't practical, they cost too much, there are very few charging stations, and most I say most don't have a range long enough. With the price of gas around 2.30 gallon, gas powered cars are the way to go. Until gas hits 5.00 a gallon again, electric cars are a niche, that 5.00 mark won't happen anytime soon.

16. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Another crush it, ship off the steel and the batteries to another country to recycle, damn we are green now.

ToyYoda likes this.
  17. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

Anyone remember buying one of the first computers? cell phones? Yes they were awful expensive. Every new invention is expensive because of the investments it took to make it a reality. Electric cars will be the same, once they are common so will the costs. I think it is worth it if you can afford it.

Charlie Spencer and gnomesayin like this.
  18. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

I like the smell of burned racing fuel. Hopefully they’ll be able to duplicate that.
    The sweetest smell in the world was Klotz and AV gas coming out the pipe of my two stroke.

gnomesayin likes this.
  19. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Definitely my favorite aroma in existence. There should be a deodorant.

Mopardh9, LewTheShoe and BobbyFord like this.
  20. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

And an aftershave, cologne, incense, candles...

21. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

What do you mean, they should? They did!

Spotter22 likes this.