NASCAR to reduce practice time across all series

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
In an effort to have a more efficient race weekend for its teams and officials, NASCAR tentatively plans to significantly reduce practice time at several race tracks this year.

Earlier this week, NASCAR released its tentative schedules for its first four race weekends, including three "traditional" race weekends that follow the 10-day Daytona schedule. The release was meant to give teams and media the ability to plan and they could still be altered.

At its Atlanta, Las Vegas and Auto Club (California) races in March, NASCAR Cup teams are scheduled to have 55 minutes of practice Friday and 50 minutes Saturday. In 2016, those tracks all had 85 minutes of practice Friday, and 80-110 minutes Saturday, a reduction of 34 percent to 46 percent of practice time depending on the track. The tracks (Las Vegas and Auto Club) that had two practices Saturday now have one session.

A NASCAR spokesman said the sanctioning body consulted with industry stakeholders to find ways to make the race weekend more efficient, and the consensus was to reduce practice time.

There will be some events at tracks that have been recently repaved where there will be additional practice time.

NBC Sports first reported the reduction in practice time.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/18562382

Good, they have to much practice. Races always seem better when it's rained out.

Whenever I attend the races here I look forward to three days of activity on the track ............... folks that want to attend for one day only should do that.
There is a distinct possibility that they will drive this sport into extinction .............. if they keep trying

Good, they have to much practice. Races always seem better when it's rained out.
Yeah...... I think they should abolish ALL practice.... unload off the truck.... no qualifying.... blind draw on qualifying and just race... that way they can come in on Sunday mid morning and leave by 5 o'clock... bang ...bang.... bang..... unload and gone!!!!!!!!

I am mixed on this. First, at tracks such as Fontana, the morning Saturday practice means very little as the track is too cool. That session has always seemed to be a waste to me. Abolishing practices such as those are a good thing. However, there is no more testing, and with young talent coming into the series, I don't like the idea of reducing track time. Overall, it makes sense, but I would like to see these limited times scheduled to mirror track conditions during the races. Additionally, I would like to see an exception for testing for rookies---and that has nothing to do with the fact that my TRD powered Toyota teams have two rookies in the series this year----maybe.

I think the lack of practice time is stupid . It gives way too much advantage to the more experienced drivers . Simple solution ....allot the amount of practice time for each car by the amount of race experience the driver has at that track . Why the heck should Jimmie Johnson get the same amount as Chase Elliott ? I do realize that the rookies get a little extra , but even that is nowhere near enough when they don't even know where the washroom is . Back in the day , the drivers tested every day just like they were in school.

I think the lack of practice time is stupid . It gives way too much advantage to the more experienced drivers . Simple solution ....allot the amount of practice time for each car by the amount of race experience the driver has at that track . Why the heck should Jimmie Johnson get the same amount as Chase Elliott ? I do realize that the rookies get a little extra , but even that is nowhere near enough when they don't even know where the washroom is . Back in the day , the drivers tested every day just like they were in school.

....or at the very least, allow the rookies more open tests.

I think the lack of practice time is stupid . It gives way too much advantage to the more experienced drivers .
Auto racing isnt a fair sport. No room for equality whether it be money, equipment, brains or experience.

Actually , it would b a benefit to more experienced drivers for the rookies to have lots of practice time . The young guys would have an easier time gettin the heck out of the way . A lot of the accidents happen just because slower cars are in the way and can't safely get out of the groove .

That's what kills me about NASCAR (well, asphalt racing in general.) Hours and hours of practice. Go to a dirt track, unload, get 5 laps of practice, then it's time for heats. That's it.

That's what kills me about NASCAR (well, asphalt racing in general.) Hours and hours of practice. Go to a dirt track, unload, get 5 laps of practice, then it's time for heats. That's it.

I've been bitching for years about the amount of practice in asphalt racing. There is no excuse for having 10 hours of practice for a three hour race.

The big-time Late Model shows are the worst. The Snowball Derby has days and days and days of practice. CARS Tour, drivers have actually demanded the series cancel races because they didn't get two days of practice before the race.

Oops.

Personally this wouldn't have affected me because if I'm watching NASCAR is usually on Sunday. I stopped watching practices long before I even decided I'd only watch NASCAR from time to time.

I have taken to watching Indycar practices and stuff though. That car sound is incredible.

Just the other day I was watching pre season testing at Phoenix without the commentators. Just pure engine sound.

Back
Top Bottom