NASCAR working on minority exposure

I'm all for diversity in the sport when it is natural and organic. When you try to force it to happen to try to impress or appease somebody, then I don't care for it at all. I can't help but think that Brad Daughterty's sudden out of the blue hiring for the TV broadcasts is one of those forced efforts. I don't have any issue with them hiring him (other than the conflict of interest that so many on NASCAR TV have) but the timing seems awful fishy.

I am going to do my best to not comment on the story as it has been my experience that once race, religion or politics enter a public conversation things go south quickly.

Good idea.

Keep the profile low.

It’s less a skin color issue and more a funding issue. Motor vehicle racing no matter the vehicle is incredibly expensive. It’s even more expensive to be and stay competitive. It starts in the karts.

Drivers get all the spotlight and I wish there was more media on the pit crews and people in the shop. It’s a very diverse crowd.

I'm all for diversity in the sport when it is natural and organic. When you try to force it to happen to try to impress or appease somebody, then I don't care for it at all. I can't help but think that Brad Daughterty's sudden out of the blue hiring for the TV broadcasts is one of those forced efforts. I don't have any issue with them hiring him (other than the conflict of interest that so many on NASCAR TV have) but the timing seems awful fishy.
Brad is a current Cup team owner and previously was an analyst on ESPN.

Not to mention he was a damn good basketball player, but injuries plagued him and he retired early at 28. Maybe you think that NBC could be using him as a bit of a dual threat instead of a hire that is meant to appease some? I thought he was a solid analyst on ESPN and when the Olympics come around he could be a commentator there as well, but hell have at it. NBC is knocking out two birds with one stone with him coming on board.

It’s less a skin color issue and more a funding issue. Motor vehicle racing no matter the vehicle is incredibly expensive. It’s even more expensive to be and stay competitive. It starts in the karts.

Drivers get all the spotlight and I wish there was more media on the pit crews and people in the shop. It’s a very diverse crowd.

You’ve hit the nail on the head and it is becoming more and more difficult for the average person to gain enough resources to even get a look. This applies to many things not just NASCAR.

Thats like saying its ok if there are no minority QBS in the NFL, as long as there is odd coach or doctor. The face of the team needs to show diversity IMHO

I don't know why NASCAR hasn't had more success diversifying the on-track talent; I suspect they don't completely know either. Regardless of the results to date, I think this is a worthwhile goal and the program should be continued, maybe with modifications. This is a hill worth fighting for.

You’ve hit the nail on the head and it is becoming more and more difficult for the average person to gain enough resources to even get a look. This applies to many things not just NASCAR.
Majority of professional athletes had friends or families with enough money to send them to high end specialty camps and programs.

Thats like saying its ok if there are no minority QBS in the NFL, as long as there is odd coach or doctor. The face of the team needs to show diversity IMHO

The NFL has struggled in attracting minority front office people and at one point with coaches. These days minorities make up the bulk of the players because they earned their job by beating out others. A true meritocracy.

Rev Racing should get a lot more help than what they receive. They are the team pushing the drivers and they still have their pit-crew program in place, its unfortunate they do so much at the lower-levels that goes unseen. Especially for those who don't have the funding to back themselves, but the program provides a foothold for some.

The face of the team needs to be the best leader among the players. Leaders come in all brands. Diversity just for the sake of diversity is an insult to the minorities who are hired for positions based on their skills and merits.

Having a token position(s) is awful discrimination.

EDIT: words.

Last edited:
Kyle Larson is of Asian descent.

Reverse diversity.

The face of the teams needs to be the best leader among the players. Leaders come in all colors.
I've long disagreed with many leagues' policies requiring participants to give guaranteed media access. The best receiver or forward or fielder isn't always a leader; that's why captains are chosen. Those are the folks who should be the public faces. Otherwise you just get "I'm only here so I don't get suspended" and "Everything is great."

One knucklehead's uninformed opinion.

I've long disagreed with many leagues' policies requiring participants to give guaranteed media access. The best receiver or forward or fielder isn't always a leader; that's why captains are chosen. Those are the folks who should be the public faces. Otherwise you just get "I'm only here so I don't get suspended" and "Everything is great."

One knucklehead's uninformed opinion.
Every organization typically has a public information officer of sorts, and it may not be the face of the organization but the person who is best with the press.

The face of the team needs to be the best leader among the players. Leaders come in all brands. Diversity just for the sake of diversity is an insult to the minorities who are hired for positions based on their skills and merits.

Having a token position(s) is awful discrimination.

EDIT: words.

Here we go-My feeling is without programs like these diversity wouldnt stand a chance, because barriers exist for minorities that dont for others.

-access to funds, visibility, etc.

Brad is a current Cup team owner and previously was an analyst on ESPN.

Not to mention he was a damn good basketball player, but injuries plagued him and he retired early at 28. Maybe you think that NBC could be using him as a bit of a dual threat instead of a hire that is meant to appease some? I thought he was a solid analyst on ESPN and when the Olympics come around he could be a commentator there as well, but hell have at it. NBC is knocking out two birds with one stone with him coming on board.

If NBC had hired him four months ago, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. But to hire him now, already into their broadcast season, when it's clear to any rational person that the LAST thing the really need is another talking head, especially when they can't go to the track anyway, and with everything going on in this country concerning race right now, well that pegs my BS meter.

Here we go-My feeling is without programs like these diversity wouldnt stand a chance, because barriers exist for minorities that dont for others.

-access to funds, visibility, etc.
The problem is that some, not all, programs like these create barriers to entry. See college admission rates for asain-americans. That’s just one example.

Programs like these are good natured and strive for positive outcomes. It’s an ideological difference between “this person deserves the job because they have the best skills and character” vs “this person deserves the job because they have a certain skin color or genitalia”.

In my opinion the latter is an all around insult and slap in the face to those that are hired and to those passed up on.

I don't know why NASCAR hasn't had more success diversifying the on-track talent; I suspect they don't completely know either. Regardless of the results to date, I think this is a worthwhile goal and the program should be continued, maybe with modifications. This is a hill worth fighting for.

The primary reason is the outright lack of perspective drivers in the first place. How many women and minorities even have the slightest desire to BE a race car driver? How many live in areas where getting started at the grass roots level is even practical? The big urban centers are certainly not a hotbed of racing activity. Racing is expensive even at the very lowest levels. How many have the financial resources to compete? Racing, even at the lowest levels often requires specialized knowledge. How many people in these "potential driver's" universe have these skills and knowledge? A very large percentage of race car drivers got into it because they had family members involved. How many minorities have ever even MET someone involved in racing, let alone have a family member involved? If you look at it realistically, it's really not to figure out when you consider that there is probably one woman or minority driver for every thousand white male drivers out there to even be considered for advancement to the pro levels.

The primary reason is the outright lack of perspective drivers in the first place. How many women and minorities even have the slightest desire to BE a race car driver? How many live in areas where getting started at the grass roots level is even practical? The big urban centers are certainly not a hotbed of racing activity. Racing is expensive even at the very lowest levels. How many have the financial resources to compete? Racing, even at the lowest levels often requires specialized knowledge. How many people in these "potential driver's" universe have these skills and knowledge? A very large percentage of race car drivers got into it because they had family members involved. How many minorities have ever even MET someone involved in racing, let alone have a family member involved? If you look at it realistically, it's really not to figure out when you consider that there is probably one woman or minority driver for every thousand white male drivers out there to even be considered for advancement to the pro levels.
That's pretty much it. Nascar's diversity program is pretty shrewd in who they help/pick. It isn't a free for all. Even with close scrutiny they have way more failures than successes. Anything run by a bunch of yahoos would do more harm than good IMO. It ain't broke, doesn't need bleeding hearts involvement.

I really hope Isabella Robusto makes it as it is an awesome name!

Isabella Robusto is a good driver from what I've seen of her in Legends. Rev Racing hasn't had much success on the Late Model side but they've definitely been working hard to improve. Macy Causey won a wacky race at SoBo a few years ago and Nick Sanchez got a win last year at Myrtle Beach.

If NBC had hired him four months ago, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. But to hire him now, already into their broadcast season, when it's clear to any rational person that the LAST thing the really need is another talking head, especially when they can't go to the track anyway, and with everything going on in this country concerning race right now, well that pegs my BS meter.
He'll be on with Petty and Jarrett during the pre-race show.

I disagree with your notion though, I feel as if this hire is a good one and will result in more value for NBC in the future.

Just curious, would you feel the same way if it was Rusty Wallace?
Rusty was an awesome commentator, too.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Rusty was good and so was Brad, but Brad has his basketball experience that adds another dimension to the signing because of the Olympics next year. Maybe they would want to use him as a commentator for the basketball games.

Just curious, would you feel the same way if it was Rusty Wallace?
I can honestly say I'd feel exactly the same way if it was Rusty - I don't watch pre-race so I don't care who they add. And I'd honestly feel the same way if either Rusty or Brad was added to the coverage of the race itself - that the networks have too many people already.

The lengths and mental gymnastics you will go through to find a reason to object.

Petty and Jarrett's work is the only portion of the NBC broadcasts that is well done, and possibly better than its Fox comparable. I don't know how much Daugherty will add, but I think he'll fit in to their style.

Call it what you want, but to ME this smacks of "Hey here's a chance to add a token black guy to our broadcast team". I have no issue with the hire, and don't like Charlie, I don't really care because I have to be absolutely bored out of my skull to watch a pre-race show, but doesn't it strike you as just a LITTLE BIT odd that this hire happened now? When was the last time ANY of the networks added somebody in the middle of their broadcast schedule?

Call it what you want, but to ME this smacks of "Hey here's a chance to add a token black guy to our broadcast team". I have no issue with the hire, and don't like Charlie, I don't really care because I have to be absolutely bored out of my skull to watch a pre-race show, but doesn't it strike you as just a LITTLE BIT odd that this hire happened now? When was the last time ANY of the networks added somebody in the middle of their broadcast schedule?
We don't know if NBC wanted to add him earlier, and that other obligations prevented it. We don't know if DJ or Kyle have had to give notice for unexpected reasons, and NBC is easing Brad in. We don't know if Brad knows where NBC buried Supertrain and Cop Rock and threatened to release them on Peacock.

Regardless of the reason, you and I won't be watching, so why shive a git? Call me only if they hire Eccentrica Gallumbits.

We don't know if NBC wanted to add him earlier, and that other obligations prevented it. We don't know if DJ or Kyle have had to give notice for unexpected reasons, and NBC is easing Brad in. We don't know if Brad knows where NBC buried Supertrain and Cop Rock and threatened to release them on Peacock.

Regardless of the reason, you and I won't be watching, so why shive a git? Call me only if they hire Eccentrica Gallumbits.

If Brad can help bring back The Girl With Something Extra, The Flip Wilson Show & McCloud I don't care how crowded things get.

Good read, thanks for posting. I'll just say I think this is a 2nd step in the right direction, and I really hope we see participants coming up through the ranks in the near future.

No issues with Brad Daugherty stepping back into the booth on my end, regardless of the timing. He was entertaining during his previous stint. Welcome back, Brad!

Really, there's nothing bad I can say about this. NASCAR makes an effort to make the field more diverse, thus potentially allowing there to be more viable candidates for seats at the top level of motorsport in America. If you can perform at that level, you deserve to be there.

The program is not perfect but glad they are trying

Nascar can not force diversity on the teams.
What is holding Bubba back from competing in the top 10?????
Sponsorship dollars, Sponsorship dollars, Sponsorship dollars, Sponsorship dollars.
That is the great equalizer. For Team Petty to be competitive with Bubba as their driver,
they must be able to attract big dollars from a sponsor.
Are there no huge corporations willing to spend 25 million dollars to fund the #43 car
with a contract that restricts the owners from raping the team of the funds needed for the sake of profit????
BTW that is what happened at RFR. With Fenway in charge of the money, you can be sure profits come before winning.

If Brad can help bring back The Girl With Something Extra, The Flip Wilson Show & McCloud I don't care how crowded things get.

I LOVED McCloud when I was a kid. I used to have the exact same jacket Dennis Weaver wore on the show, and with my hat and boots would get on my horse an go "fight crime" with the neighborhood kids. I thought he was as cool as it got. That was when we weren't playing stunt man or Army Special Forces. We once took a 8' cardboard spindle out of a roll of carpet, strapped it to the hood of a 8N Ford tractor and drove it through the fields pretending it was a Sherman tank. :)

I LOVED McCloud when I was a kid. I used to have the exact same jacket Dennis Weaver wore on the show, and with my hat and boots would get on my horse an go "fight crime" with the neighborhood kids. I thought he was as cool as it got. That was when we weren't playing stunt man or Army Special Forces. We once took a 8' cardboard spindle out of a roll of carpet, strapped it to the hood of a 8N Ford tractor and drove it through the fields pretending it was a Sherman tank. :)

Heck @Formerjackman , you and I are probably the only 2 folks on this forum that have a clue what an 8N is and was used for and that there are still 100's of them still in operation. :lol2: I logged a lot of hours working one when I was in my pre teens and teen years.

Heck @Formerjackman , you and I are probably the only 2 folks on this forum that have a clue what an 8N is and was used for and that there are still 100's of them still in operation. :lol2: I logged a lot of hours working one when I was in my pre teens and teen years.

Heck, they are so common that other than MAYBE the engine block and transmission case, you can build an entire tractor out of restoration parts. When I was growing up in the 70's there was something like a half dozen N Series tractors in a one mile radius of my house. I literally learned to drive on them. Last year I did a substantial amount of repair work on the one my uncle owns, and I also did a HUGE amount of work on the 860 Ford that My best friend's wife owns. Ironically, BOTH had been bastardized by some local jackass that fancied that he knew how to convert them to 12 volts. I ended up having to basically re wire both front scratch and build workable alternator brackets. I also learned how to fix the Marvel Schebler updraft carburetors so they don't leave puddles of gas on the floor. For the obligatory racing content, Marvel Schebler was originally Wheeler Schebler, and Frank Wheeler was one of the founders of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Back
Top Bottom