NBCSN to air NASCAR videogame

Honestly, I was half decent in iRacing for a while and it takes a lot of time and dedication to even get close to the top series. I do understand the point people are making about showing REAL racing, but NASCAR and it's TV networks are too cheap to do a weekday modified or K&N race.

I played video games from the NES through to the GameCube, but I do feel eSports being a thing represents a "this shows how far society has fallen" to me. You want to play iRacing, go ahead, no problem with that, but why would people want to watch that? I saw 5 minutes or so once of this one eSport one time that was teams of 4 to 5 playing on a map using huge weapons to kill each other. It moves so quick you can't even follow what the heck is going on.

Are we going to reach a point one day where people doing this buy their spot in the top series? Haha.

One technical question from when I did racing games. There was always a 1st-person perspective and a 3rd-person perspective, which was always easier. I would think everyone in an iRacing top series should be 1st-person right?

Last edited:
I guess to clarify I have sat and watched video games being played. I have watched walkthroughs of all the Batman Arkham games on YouTube, but that's more to watch the story in the games, or the cinematic experience of it. I don't care about watching the player beatup so many thugs to maximize his "game points" or doing speed runs, which would be how you would make an eSport out of it.

I've never called a 1-900 sex chat line, but I did beat Kenny Roberts in the Dutch TT at Assen on virtual 500 cc two stroke Yamahas.
I got lost immediately after 'chat line', and that's just too many unfamiliar terms for me to Google today.

The race was good and the guy that called the race is great. Didn't catch it on TV but they posted it on You Tube. Parker Kligerman didn't represent real drivers very well, started on pole and fell way back and wrecked another car. Last 3 laps though we're a hell of a battle.

Just came on the news that the "Fortnite World Champion" has won 3 million dollars. That's more than a NASCAR Xfinity Champion gets.
Humanity is going the wrong way...
Video game streamers bring in more revenue. The world is fine. NASCAR should adapt.

There is absolutely NO difference in watching nascar on tv, football, soccer, movies, television in general, and watching esports. There is NO DIFFERENCE. Everybody saying it's sad people watch esports probably plop their butt on the couch on sunday to watch nascar or sunday night football. How is what you do any different than when people watch iracing? Please explain that to me. How has "society fallen" because of people playing video games professionally for others entertainment? I guess society fell when the MLB came around or the NFL was created right? Society fell SO hard when Nascar was brought to television too right? What is so wrong with opening up the market to a completely new audience that might just keep the sport we all know and love afloat in the future? This is the best thing nascar could do right now. Get more nascar sanctioned racing series on tv in the middle of the week video game or not. Get more viewers watching the sport regardless of if it's a video game or not. Nascar is changing (or at least attempting to change) with the times, trying to broaden its reach to an entirely new generation when the turnouts at the track are abysmal and viewership is dwindling. Yall sit there and cry every week about the empty stands but then turn around and cry about nascar making a move to bring in a new young generation into the sport. Do yall want the sport to crumble or do you want it to succeed like it has for the past 70 years? I'd rather my kids have an interest in the sport even if their connection to it is through a video game.

And get this: the esports race was better than that weeks actual nascar race.

End rant lmao.

There is absolutely NO difference in watching nascar on tv, football, soccer, movies, television in general, and watching esports. There is NO DIFFERENCE. Everybody saying it's sad people watch esports probably plop their butt on the couch on sunday to watch nascar or sunday night football. How is what you do any different than when people watch iracing? Please explain that to me. How has "society fallen" because of people playing video games professionally for others entertainment? I guess society fell when the MLB came around or the NFL was created right? Society fell SO hard when Nascar was brought to television too right? What is so wrong with opening up the market to a completely new audience that might just keep the sport we all know and love afloat in the future? This is the best thing nascar could do right now. Get more nascar sanctioned racing series on tv in the middle of the week video game or not. Get more viewers watching the sport regardless of if it's a video game or not. Nascar is changing (or at least attempting to change) with the times, trying to broaden its reach to an entirely new generation when the turnouts at the track are abysmal and viewership is dwindling. Yall sit there and cry every week about the empty stands but then turn around and cry about nascar making a move to bring in a new young generation into the sport. Do yall want the sport to crumble or do you want it to succeed like it has for the past 70 years? I'd rather my kids have an interest in the sport even if their connection to it is through a video game.

And get this: the esports race was better than that weeks actual nascar race.

End rant lmao.

One is watching someone real life do something outside with real risk and the other is watching someone locked into a digital world without consequence.

I'm all for it though, NASCAR has to keep up with the younger generation interests and attempt to get them emotionally invested. I'm not sure iRacing is that boost since a good portion are adults. But maybe... it leads to increased involvement.

One is watching someone real life do something outside with real risk and the other is watching someone locked into a digital world without consequence.
With intense sports available like football, hockey, racing, and basketball it turns out that baseball is America’s pastime.

Violence, suspense or action in sports does not guarantee popularity.

I'm all for it though, NASCAR has to keep up with the younger generation interests and attempt to get them emotionally invested. I'm not sure iRacing is that boost since a good portion are adults. But maybe... it leads to increased involvement.
Also, one is watching someone do something one could be doing one’s self. I can’t afford a stock car or the tools to maintain one. I’m confident golf would frustrate the heck out of me.

But playing a video game is well within my economic and temperament range. If I was interested, why watch someone else do what I could be doing myself? I spent fours hours birding Saturday; I wouldn’t spent ten minutes watching someone else chase digital birds. I could be in the field myself during that time.

My big question is why some think this will bring new fans to ‘real’ racing. What’s the connection? I like to watch golf but would never go to another tournament or pick up a club. I keep hearing how younger people want to attend ‘events’, that the scheduled sport by itself is not enough entertainment for modern fans. I also read complaints about the costs of attending (tickets, hotels, etc), the time it takes, the effects of weather (both on comfort and the day’s schedule). Why assume an audience that watches a video game on TV for free from the sofa will automatically transfer to the analog equivalent?

Also, one is watching someone do something one could be doing one’s self. I can’t afford a stock car or the tools to maintain one. I’m confident golf would frustrate the heck out of me.

But playing a video game is well within my economic and temperament range. If I was interested, why watch someone else do what I could be doing myself? I spent fours hours birding Saturday; I wouldn’t spent ten minutes watching someone else chase digital birds. I could be in the field myself during that time.

My big question is why some think this will bring new fans to ‘real’ racing. What’s the connection? I like to watch golf but would never go to another tournament or pick up a club. I keep hearing how younger people want to attend ‘events’, that the scheduled sport by itself is not enough entertainment for modern fans. I also read complaints about the costs of attending (tickets, hotels, etc), the time it takes, the effects of weather (both on comfort and the day’s schedule). Why assume an audience that watches a video game on TV for free from the sofa will automatically transfer to the analog equivalent?

Golf video games were hot for a while on the controller, now they've got Topgolf parties and home range simulation screens swinging real clubs and real golf balls, it's advancing the experience. Madden Ultimate Team has 1 goal in my mind, get the youngster's spending money or virtual money on buying NFL player's within the game, they become emotionally invested in who's who, in turn watching however much on Sunday's. There may be leak over from those that watch esports will also watch the real deal, or most likely they already did. If you have the space and room and can afford to throw down on a race sim rig, which I think is iRacing's biggest barrier to entry, then they are more likely to follow along with Motorsports in general looking for transferable knowledge.

Fantasy sports and legalized sports betting also play a role in getting the viewer emotionally invested. That may not be the case for some, but is certainly the case for a portion of the target audience. Watching eSports on TV...hard to tell how it transfers to the interests they're aiming at since it's not directly linked to where they want them to be.

Back
Top Bottom