New qualifying rules announced

I look forward to the uproar the first time a backmarker spins or wrecks and collects a top driver in Q1.

tumblr_m6t3qkMelV1raprzuo2_100.gif

OMG !!!! that popcorn picture is killing me :laugh::laugh::laugh: That is FUNNY

I highly doubt they could get the backup unloaded and ready to make a run in the next session, or towards the end of the current session if they haven't already made the cut for the next round. Too little time.
It was said by NASCAR that if they go to the garage, they're not running the later segments. Heard it on Moody's show yesterday.

It was said by NASCAR that if they go to the garage, they're not running the later segments. Heard it on Moody's show yesterday.
Oooooooooooooooooh interesting.. Id like to see them have to go by average finish then... they could always make a 25 minute long pit stop.. lol

I think it is going to take a while to completely understand this new rule. I sure hope NASCAR has it figured out.

I think it is going to take a while to completely understand this new rule. I sure hope NASCAR has it figured out.
Me too.. Im thinking they do.. Im more curious about all the technicalities of the new chase system.. and am anxiously awaiting an announcement.. it probably wont be until the week of the 15th..

Will they have to wait for the cars ahead to go or can they pull out whenever they want ??
I'm thinking that means they draw pit stalls for Q1 and then can pull out of the box whenever they want. Who really knows for sure?

Me too.. Im thinking they do.. Im more curious about all the technicalities of the new chase system.. and am anxiously awaiting an announcement.. it probably wont be until the week of the 15th..
Brian's State of the Sport announcement should be happening very soon I'd imagine. Happens every year just before Daytona.

All this confusion is bound to bring new viewers, France is a genius

I'm thinking that means they draw pit stalls for Q1 and then can pull out of the box whenever they want. Who really knows for sure?
My understanding is that they roll when they want.

I was initially intrigued by all of this, but as I think about it more and more, I think that Quali will shake out pretty much as it always has--with the exception of the plate tracks where drafting will be essential for a good time, but those sessions mean the least. I would anticipate that the heavy hitters will find clear track, lay one down, and then park. The usual suspects will be at the top. Look for the big players to conserve tires in the early round as Mike Joy suggests to just make it to Round 2, and then do pretty much the same thing to get to 3. In 3, the wick will be lit, and the game will be on. Will be fun, but I am not expecting earth shattering surprises.

They should just race the Haulers from one track to another...winner gets the pole....a new reality show.

"East bound and down, loaded up and truckin, we're gonna do what they say can't be done. We got a long way to go, and a short time to get there, gonna get that pole for Junior if we can."

Teams could make moonshine and BBQ in the infield with the judged winner getting the outside pole.

Maybe a duck calling and gold panning competition for the over 35 spots. Texas Holdem poker for the past champion spot.

Last edited:
They should just race the Haulers from one track to another...winner gets the pole....a new reality show.

"East bound and down, loaded up and truckin, we're gonna do what they say can't be done. We got a long way to go, and a short time to get there, gonna get that pole for Junior if we can."

Teams could make moonshine and BBQ in the infield with the judged winner getting the outside pole.

Maybe a duck calling and gold panning competition for the over 35 spots. Texas Holdem poker for the past champion spot.
LMAO!

Hell yes! I'd watch. :pbjtime:

I haven't read since page 1 so my bad if this has already been brought up but a friend of mine and I were talking about this and he brought up a good point.

What happens when someone wrecks and takes a few with him? Do they get to start in the back? This will be carnage on the plate tracks.

I haven't read since page 1 so my bad if this has already been brought up but a friend of mine and I were talking about this and he brought up a good point.

What happens when someone wrecks and takes a few with him? Do they get to start in the back? This will be carnage on the plate tracks.

If its like F1, yes. I thought I read that plate tracks aren't part of the new qualifying format.

Personally I think this is just another gimmick, just like the Chase, I don't see it as any kind of bennificial attraction to the sport. If they were to go to heat races like at your local tracks, then that would be interesting, run Friday night heat races 25 laps, A and B mains and 1 consi. This entire change thing sucks IMO.

May have been posted or not but here's a breakdown of the new format.....

At tracks measuring 1.25 miles in length or larger, qualifying for the Coors Light Pole Award will consist of three rounds:
• The first qualifying elimination round will be 25 minutes in duration and includes all cars/trucks. The 24 cars/trucks that post the fastest single lap from the first qualifying round will advance to the second round.
• The remaining cars/trucks will be sorted based on their times posted in the first round of qualifying in descending order.
• The second qualifying elimination round will be 10 minutes in duration and the 12 cars/trucks that post the fastest single lap time will advance to the third and final round. The fastest remaining cars/trucks earn positions 13th through 24th based on their times posted in qualifying in descending order.
• The third and final qualifying round will be five minutes in duration and the fastest single lap time will determine positions 1st through 12th in descending order.
• There will be a five-minute break between each qualifying round.

At tracks measuring less than 1.25 miles, qualifying for the Coors Light Pole Award will consist of two rounds:
• The first qualifying elimination round will be 30 minutes in duration and includes all cars/trucks. The 12 cars/trucks that post the fastest single lap time from the first qualifying round will advance to the second and final round.
• The remaining cars/trucks will be sorted based on their times posted in the first round of qualifying in descending order.
• There will be a 10-minute break between the two qualifying rounds.
• The second and final qualifying round will be 10 minutes in duration and the fastest single lap time posted will determine positions 1st through 12th in descending order.

At tracks measuring 1.25 miles in length or larger, qualifying for the Coors Light Pole Award will consist of three rounds:
• The first qualifying elimination round will be 25 minutes in duration and includes all cars/trucks. The 24 cars/trucks that post the fastest single lap from the first qualifying round will advance to the second round.
• The second qualifying elimination round will be 10 minutes in duration and the 12 cars/trucks that post the fastest single lap time will advance to the third and final round. The fastest remaining cars/trucks earn positions 13th through 24th based on their times posted in qualifying in descending order.
• The third and final qualifying round will be five minutes in duration and the fastest single lap time will determine positions 1st through 12th in descending order.
• There will be a five-minute break between each qualifying round.

At tracks measuring less than 1.25 miles, qualifying for the Coors Light Pole Award will consist of two rounds:
• The first qualifying elimination round will be 30 minutes in duration and includes all cars/trucks. The 12 cars/trucks that post the fastest single lap time from the first qualifying round will advance to the second and final round.
• There will be a 10-minute break between the two qualifying rounds.
• The second and final qualifying round will be 10 minutes in duration and the fastest single lap time posted will determine positions 1st through 12th in descending order.
So freaking elaborate and complicated.

How about:
All tracks: drivers run 2 laps. Fastest time gets the pole.

So it says if they go to the garage they cant compete in the next q events? Can they sit on pit road for 28 minutes after bustin off a quick lap?

LOL! Throw in Danica as a cab queen for ratings.

Can laptops be plugged in between sessions? What is plugging in oil?
Don't know about the laptops. I'm not sure that they are allowed to do that outside of test dates anyhow.

Plugging in oil probably refers to the system that they use for bringing the oil up to temperature.

Can laptops be plugged in between sessions? What is plugging in oil?
They plug in the oil to a machine to keep it warm...

You see that thing behind the car... Im pretty sure that's it.. the lines on the ground are hooked into the oil llines to warm up the oil before the car is running to make it easier on the engine.

Don't know about the laptops. I'm not sure that they are allowed to do that outside of test dates anyhow.

Plugging in oil probably refers to the system that they use for bringing the oil up to temperature.

Thanks man! I should have known what they meant by plugging in oil--the heater. No on laptops during quail. Laptops are now a staple in the garage these days.

It occurs to me that fuel will be a big issue during qualifying. I do not believe that they will be allowed to gas the car at all during the three sessions. They are going to want to be on low fuel for Session 3. They will not be able to just run around at will. That will need to be calculated before Session 1. Hmmmmm.

"A team can not jack up the vehicle or raise the hood".

Sure would suck to have a loose wheel.

Back
Top Bottom