• New Member registration is open. Applicants will be subject to management approval. If you have always wanted to join, now is the time.

NHL 2020 Playoffs restart

LewTheShoe

Team Owner
I've really enjoyed going to NHL games the few times I've done that, and I also enjoy going to minor league games, but I struggle to maintain interest watching on TV. Low key fan of the Washington Caps. I'll probably become more interested as the playoffs progress.

NHL is the only mainstream sport where you can score "stage points" like Nascar, so that is kinda interesting. It serves as a reminder that there are many choices on how to structure a competition... more than one way to "skin a cat" as they say. Some people think there's only one acceptable way to structure the game and structure the season's championship, but I think that is tomfoolery..:dual9mm:

kkfan91

Taking a 10-200
Considering my Flyers were a top 4 team in the East and get to skip a round I like it. Hopefully we remain as hot as we were when the season was suspended. We won our warm up against the Penguins on tuesday so I'm ready for some playoff hockey

gnomesayin

Team Owner
NHL is the only mainstream sport where you can score "stage points" like Nascar, so that is kinda interesting. It serves as a reminder that there are many choices on how to structure a competition... more than one way to "skin a cat" as they say. Some people think there's only one acceptable way to structure the game and structure the season's championship, but I think that is tomfoolery..:dual9mm:
How do you mean? The points structure with regard to overtime games? I would not consider that as an analog to NASCAR's modern stage points method. If the NHL started giving teams a point for each regulation period they "win", that would be comparable.

What the NHL does with overtime is essentially recognize that when a game is close enough to be tied at the end of regulation, both teams deserve some reward. That would be a wild idea to introduce into NASCAR: If the race enters "overtime", the winner gets 5 playoff points, the second place finisher gets 2, and so on.

I could go on (and on) about my issues with the implementation of NASCAR's stage points concept, but I'll try not to hijack my own thread. :D

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
The round-robin for seeding the top four in each conference is kinda goofy but after that and the qualifier round it’s business as usual so no problem really. I do think the absence of fans will be felt more here than anywhere else. Stanley Cup playoffs are always fun though so I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully the Islanders can make some noise and the Lightning don’t faceplant again.

Top Bottom