Nil chances... then, blooming opportunities

Truex_rox

Wannabe racecar driver.
Hello, guys!

I guess this thread will serve as a diary of sorts, considering how I'm starting out and documenting things.

Earlier this week, after pushing and persevering for months on end and nearly having my savings dry up, I finally got called up for a job offer. The offer came from Belk, of all places. I had applied there nearly a year ago. So, today, I finally got put into a job interview setting. The previous job was for a family-run business, so no interview was necessary. This was my first genuine job interview. I'm quite happy with how it worked out. Well, no sooner than I had had my successful Belk interview, I learned of another, even better, opportunity that was budding. My graphic design professor informed me that with my experience, I would more than likely get hired at a nearby screen-printing business called "M'Print", starting off at $9.00/hr. Not long after I messaged the business owner, he responded back.

After basically 10 months of struggling to keep the ship from capsizing, figuratively speaking, suddenly I have two fairly decent job opportunities on top of the family business. This has been a blessed day.

Hello, guys!

I guess this thread will serve as a diary of sorts, considering how I'm starting out and documenting things.

Earlier this week, after pushing and persevering for months on end and nearly having my savings dry up, I finally got called up for a job offer. The offer came from Belk, of all places. I had applied there nearly a year ago. So, today, I finally got put into a job interview setting. The previous job was for a family-run business, so no interview was necessary. This was my first genuine job interview. I'm quite happy with how it worked out. Well, no sooner than I had had my successful Belk interview, I learned of another, even better, opportunity that was budding. My graphic design professor informed me that with my experience, I would more than likely get hired at a nearby screen-printing business called "M'Print", starting off at $9.00/hr. Not long after I messaged the business owner, he responded back.

After basically 10 months of struggling to keep the ship from capsizing, figuratively speaking, suddenly I have two fairly decent job opportunities on top of the family business. This has been a blessed day.
Congratulations. Good luck with it.

So, I am not going to lie - graduating from college and starting a new life beyond college is not all that it is cracked up to be.

It makes me even more grateful that I had certain people around me to prepare me for this growing up.

For one, the lead with M-Print did not work out. They wanted someone who could lend all of their time to them, and didn't want to risk having me go off to college in the fall and not have enough time for their business.
I haven't been making as much money as I was hoping to make, and that's even with my frugal nature coming in to play. It's going to be tough if it continues at this rate, as I am trying to move to the coast towards the end of August, or maybe early September, and I'm trying to go in with, you know, sufficient funds so that I actually have something to my name when I come into my new home. I am determined not to have my best friend and room-mate be solely responsible for the bills and what not.

My Camaro currently has a power steering issue; it shudders in turns, and I chose to stop driving it altogether. I hope to get it back soon, as it has been such a thrill and a blessing to pretty much have my dream car from the word go. That's been one of the best things I've had to look forward to everyday.

So my summary for the moment is that I'm not making as much money as planned, but I'm still no less diligent. My car is not working at the moment, but I'm no less thankful for it, as well as my parents who chose to get it for me. That is the best present ever.

Got a job at Bed, Bath & Beyond that is actually paying pretty well for a PT Stock Associate gig.

Turns out the Camaro had a ball joint that was "loose as a goose." It's gonna be coming back home realllll soon!

Okay, I do not know how I forgot to post it here, but on my friend's birthday, Aug. 21st, we finally completed the move. We have our own apartment now, and so far, I'm happy with the change!

Best of luck, Truex_rox. It is refreshing to know there are young folks who are handling money wisely and satisfied with the things they receive in life. If this is any indication, you'll do fine. Keep working and always seeking better opportunities. They are out there for those who make the effort to discover them.

Best of luck, Truex_rox. It is refreshing to know there are young folks who are handling money wisely and satisfied with the things they receive in life. If this is any indication, you'll do fine. Keep working and always seeking better opportunities. They are out there for those who make the effort to discover them.
Late, late, late reply on my part, but that's only because I debated whether or not I should keep this thread going... but here I am! I ended up moving yet again, going from staying in one spot all my life to bouncing around it feels like... the room-mates at my last place ended up not being too solid, so I had to pull the plug and wish them luck on their own journey. Sometimes, you find out who your friends are the hard way. I also chose to quit BB&B to get back into working with my uncle, where I'm also getting to pick up a bit of knowledge on computer programming. I'm currently juggling that with a little gig at Cash Saver... ugh, more retail, but at least the environment there has been way better. The last job had a toxic kind of environment. Besides work, I'm getting to use my graphic design skills for people who see themselves as musical prodigies, lol. I've been making cover art (think albums, EPs), as well as even dabbling in their line of work in the form of producing. It is actually pretty fun, but I've got a ways to go before I can really commit to it seriously and view my own work as sufficient, but making beats is very entertaining.

Just be careful workin for family and friends. It can get toxic at times.

I'm wrapping up a new construction IT contract for a friend I've known for going on 10 years and even worked for him for 9 months and lunch with him today.

I left a good job to work for another then-friend, and that job only lasted 3 months because the department was under-producing and subsequently got cut.

I worked for another friend over the summer between day job ventures. Known him 4 or 5 years. He needed help, I needed a job, all hunky dory.

At the school, my boss tried to be friends with me, that went so far downhill that I still hold the record for duration - the person that replaced me (secretary #5) lasted 6 months and quit last week.

Just be careful workin for family and friends. It can get toxic at times.

I'm wrapping up a new construction IT contract for a friend I've known for going on 10 years and even worked for him for 9 months and lunch with him today.

I left a good job to work for another then-friend, and that job only lasted 3 months because the department was under-producing and subsequently got cut.

I worked for another friend over the summer between day job ventures. Known him 4 or 5 years. He needed help, I needed a job, all hunky dory.

At the school, my boss tried to be friends with me, that went so far downhill that I still hold the record for duration - the person that replaced me (secretary #5) lasted 6 months and quit last week.
Doing my best. Thanks for the advice, Magnethead. On that subject, me and my uncle don't seem to have many problems, if any at all. I see your experience is a little bit different, and I guess it's one of those cases where those people got so comfortable with you in and outside of work that they decided to pull some funky things behind the scenes?

When it comes to my uncle, he's helped to motivate me after the rough period I've gone through and has provided a positive little environment for me to work in. It's a decent environment that's pretty Christian-oriented and consists of just a few people (with me being by far the youngest, lol), but he doesn't go out of his way to force the religious part of the company on me. He just tries to bring the best out of me and reiterates that he knows there's more that I bring to the table than I sometimes provide - you know, probably the same kind of any conversation an old head will have with a young up-and-comer they see potential in. Just the kind of person who doesn't want anyone settling for average or wasting their talents! Computer programming (learning it, no less) can be a real test of patience! :p

I guess the main source of concern would stem from trying to make any serious music with my friends, to your point. One guy I know sounds very, very much committed to it, and even goes so far as to make his own stuff in his spare time and it's almost all he can talk about! I'm waiting to see how this turns out once we get to where we are in a position to collaborate, i.e. getting our own laptop, speakers, etc. It's an exciting opportunity, but as you say, gotta be cautious. I have already had one female I was very close to, who also happened to be the brains behind the music idea, proceed to disappear from the picture because of other dumb circumstances.

Thanks for doing the thread
@Truex_rox.
I enjoy your optimism it is like and breath of fresh air and I believe it is a must for the most successful. It is the fuel that keeps us going. You have to be inspired and believe to keep the passion.
You will meet a lot of people that are not optimistic and they will try to drag you down, don't let them hold you back.
Even when it is tough the idea preparation meeting opportunity will prevail in the end.

I have known people that were smart and had a lot going for them. But they were so pessimistic that they would not even apply for opportunities that were clearly available to them.
I have seen them decline job interviews because they had already made up their mind they wouldn't get the job. I have seen them never asking the woman of their dreams out for a date for the same reasons.

Someone once told me that when it comes to great jobs or position to expect to be declined 15 times before getting accepted for one of them. I don't think the exact number of 15 is significant or even correct, but the idea of resilience and perseverance is extremely important.
Being prepared and making yourself available is huge.

I think you have a great future.

42dcc484-d089-41ab-9b96-d94e13b67ffd_1.6a7f1f49134314da772aed85536a3f1c.jpeg

Just ordered this bad boy for $375. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom