no more cautions

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by acmerocket, May 14, 2019.

1. acmerocket

acmerocket Team Owner

if they just gave points at the end of the stages and not stop the race,there would be more green flag stops.they used to do this for the half war bonus.and no da---- wave arounds.

bigspud and SpeedPagan like this.
  2. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

Every week in the Nascar Fan council, I write in my comments section:

Get rid of the cautions at the end of stages!!!! :booya:
    Get rid of the wave arounds after cautions!!!! :booya:

I am OK with the luck dog.

3. kyle18fan

kyle18fan Proud member of Rowdy Nation Contributor

What is a " green flag pit stop "

Charlie Spencer and Speedbowl14 like this.
  4. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

That's when a driver pulls into the pits while racing under green.
    OR a truck driver reaches for his empty drink bottle in order to have a pit stop while not stopping.:D

5. kyle18fan

Ok, I vaguely recall seeing one of those happen several years ago ....... the racing version

Charlie Spencer and Speedbowl14 like this.
  6. superchuck500

superchuck500 Team Owner

I think there were two sets of green-flag stops at Kansas last Saturday. One in stage two and one in the final stage.

Charlie Spencer and gnomesayin like this.
  7. Turtle84

Turtle84 Slow is Fast

Tic-Tac Sir?

8. ReturnTrip

ReturnTrip Team Owner

They already went back to single-car qualifying. I wouldn't expect another reversal for at least 15 years.

9. kyle18fan

I was being sarcastic, green flag stops aren't as common these days

10. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Average green flag lap runs - Dover Speedway last 5 races before stages- 49.9
    Average green flag lap runs- Dover Speedway last 5 races with stages- 50.3

Randomly chose Dover but I dont think it would be much different anywhere else.

11. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Bristol- Before stages 38.1 avg green flag lap runs
    Bristol- Stages 39.5 avg green flag lap runs

12. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

The caution period and TV timeout is the main motivating factor for the stage breaks. The rest is window dressing to make it more appealing than simple scheduled yellows. This request is a bit like pleading with a burger lover to continue eating burgers with all the toppings but leave the meat off.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  13. MRM

MRM Team Owner

The stage cautions are for TV to show more commercials without doing it under green.

14. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

I'm glad TV can make some money so we can watch it every week.

Team Penske likes this.
  15. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

Anyone got the stats of the number of commercials before the stages began and after stages began?

I DVR all the races and blow through commercials, and there is still a sh*t pot full of commercials. Side by side is still commercials. There are commercials all the time while the race is going on under green, at the top of the screen on the side at the bottom all from time to time during the race, 1/2 screen Duracell commercials etc etc.

Getting rid of the cautions at the end of stages would add a whole dynamic to the strategy of pitting. JMHO.

acmerocket likes this.
  16. joe h

joe h Team Owner

Stages were never about the points and only about the break. The points and stage wins were just a way to keep the critics quiet.

Seedy, Charlie Spencer and gnomesayin like this.
  17. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Then you better tell that to the teams. Of course its about the points, thats the point.

18. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

Points don’t mean shitt because the same guys are always going to be racing for the “Championship” at the final race of the season and if everyone else blows up and the guy with the least amount of season points wins then he is declared the Champion of the season.
    THAT, is why the sport is losing fans.

Team Penske likes this.
  19. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

The point is to get to the championship, as always .

20. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

MmmmmHmmmm. And then the final race is a crapshoot.

bigspud and sdj like this.
  21. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

I havent seen a "crapshoot". Ive seen awesome racing.

Mike Crayne likes this.
  22. bigspud

bigspud Team Owner

and u is carl edwards leading near end,
    fake caution comes out...

Turtle84, sdj and BobbyFord like this.
  23. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

Cautions with 25 or less laps left in the race more often than not change the name of the winner.

Mike Crayne likes this.
  24. Turtle84

Turtle84 Slow is Fast

Actually went back and watched this on Youtube to confirm my memory. Edwards got jobbed twice by cautions in the last 70 laps or less while leading for the Championship. The first time when Blaney hit the wall in the 21, okay caution debris in the high line at Homestead, after Edwards had just passed Logano. They come down pit road Edwards loses 6 spots on pit road, drives all the way back through, passes Logano and Busch by 25 to go, sets sail on both of them. 15 to go, NASCAR throws a caution for Dylan Lupton in the 32, for a down left rear tire where he gets loose and saves it, slight smoke from the tire rub, and he moves down to the apron... NASCAR!?!? They flash a 3 second clip of the 32 and audio of someone saying "blown up" on his radio...the announcers say "left rear"... you can see the 32 still making laps after the caution.

No wonder Edwards retired, that close to a Championship for the 2nd time after heartbreak the 1st time after years and years and that happens, he'd never admit it, and not the sole reason but definitely a factor imo, even if he was planning on hanging it up if he won or lost, that just sealed it for him imo. Sorry to say, but the 48 really had no business winning that thing, he used up all of his golden horseshoes on that one.

25. Marcingak

Marcingak Team Owner

Haha yeah that's true. The 48 has been junk ever since.