Officially Headed to Martinsville

KodiakRusty89

Team Owner
I pulled the trigger last night and ordered a ticket for the Martinsville race in 3 weeks. I was able to snag a row 18 seat in the Bill France Tower. This will be my first trip to the famed paperclip since October of 2003. Obviously, a lot has changed since then. I'll be staying in a hotel in Roanoke Saturday rather than camp behind the backstretch like we did 15 years ago. My guesstimate is that leaving Roanoke around 9:30 in the morning will get me to the track with time to relax, have a beer and walk around a bit before the race starts.

I'm stoked! I've been to a ton of races over the years but only one, Martinsville, short track event. I've been itching to attend a spring race for the last 2-3 years and given Martinsville's attractive ticket prices it was hard to pass up. I didn't realize they eliminated the seats about the suites in turn 1/2 as well as some of the top rows in Bill France Tower. Now I'm just hoping for good weather. Unlike with Pocono and Kentucky I'm SOL if it gets rained out.

I expect to be there. I have reservations about an hour west; I just haven't ordered the ticket yet. I'm traveling on business so staying over a day isn't an option. I'll get one when I see the forecast.

I pulled the trigger last night and ordered a ticket for the Martinsville race in 3 weeks. I was able to snag a row 18 seat in the Bill France Tower. This will be my first trip to the famed paperclip since October of 2003. Obviously, a lot has changed since then. I'll be staying in a hotel in Roanoke Saturday rather than camp behind the backstretch like we did 15 years ago. My guesstimate is that leaving Roanoke around 9:30 in the morning will get me to the track with time to relax, have a beer and walk around a bit before the race starts.

I'm stoked! I've been to a ton of races over the years but only one, Martinsville, short track event. I've been itching to attend a spring race for the last 2-3 years and given Martinsville's attractive ticket prices it was hard to pass up. I didn't realize they eliminated the seats about the suites in turn 1/2 as well as some of the top rows in Bill France Tower. Now I'm just hoping for good weather. Unlike with Pocono and Kentucky I'm SOL if it gets rained out.

Hell yes!

I expect to be there. I have reservations about an hour west; I just haven't ordered the ticket yet. I'm traveling on business so staying over a day isn't an option. I'll get one when I see the forecast.

Hopefully the weather cooperates! I had 3 races rained out in 2016 (all 3 of Pocono events, Cup/Indycar) so i feel like i paid my dues for a few years. Last year I had great weather for all three Pocono races and Kentucky. The weather can definitely be dicey in that part of Virginia in late March so it's a risk. Still, with daylight savings having kicked in by then and recently installed lights i'll hedge my bet.

Gonna be there too, munching on a few hot dogs. Last time I went someone at the track gave me a ticket. So I will wait till I get there. I snatched up a room at the comfort Inn in Danville for $80 a night. As long as they run the race anytime during the scheduled week I am good to go.

I went to Martinsville for the first time last Spring and loved how simple and no frills it was, and with it being in a small town it certainly gives you a feel of what you imagined more tracks being like years ago. Plus the obvious fact that it's a short track and the racing is great. I might go again this year but will probably just wait to see how the weather is and head up by myself. Only thing is I wish it was a 1pm start because that would make it a little easier since it's a 2-hour drive for me, but still quite doable in an afternoon. Even people who stay in Greensboro or Roanoke are an hour away.

Have fun at the 2nd worst track on the circuit. I hope it's alot more fun than it is on TV.

Have fun at the 2nd worst track on the circuit. I hope it's alot more fun than it is on TV.

What would be the worst?

I wanted to go to a short track so there were 3 options, Martinsville, Bristol and Richmond. Of the 3 I felt Martinsville offered the best bang for the buck. Richmond also had very favorable ticket prices but I start getting super busy once the golf season (mid to late April) gets going.

IMO, Bristol ticket prices are absurdly inflated. You get can get good seats at Richmond and Martinsville for $50-$70. Bristol the $110ish price point is where the attractive seats are. You could easily drop $130+ for one ticket. I wanted to go to Bristol but I just couldn't justify the cost and additional 2-3 hour drive. Or you can take a family or some friends to Richmond, get the night race experience, and save about $150. After fees my Martinsville seat was $62. I even paid $2 extra for an official ticket (i save them) instead of the print at home deal.

I went to Martinsville for the first time last Spring and loved how simple and no frills it was, and with it being in a small town it certainly gives you a feel of what you imagined more tracks being like years ago. Plus the obvious fact that it's a short track and the racing is great. I might go again this year but will probably just wait to see how the weather is and head up by myself. Only thing is I wish it was a 1pm start because that would make it a little easier since it's a 2-hour drive for me, but still quite doable in an afternoon. Even people who stay in Greensboro or Roanoke are an hour away.

I'm playing golf Saturday on the way down for PA then staying in Roanoke that night. After the race I'll have about a 7.5 hour (480 miles) drive straight up 81 to the Scranton, PA area. I already have a cheap rental car reserved for the weekend so i'm going to have my own STP 500 on the way home....lol. I won't have to be at work before 10 am on Monday so it won't be too ridiculous. A 12:30 or 1 PM start would be nice but I'm glad it's not 3 or 3:30. If it was I honestly might not be going.

Gonna be there too, munching on a few hot dogs. Last time I went someone at the track gave me a ticket. So I will wait till I get there. I snatched up a room at the comfort Inn in Danville for $80 a night. As long as they run the race anytime during the scheduled week I am good to go.
That's the advantage of driving on the company dime instead of flying to Pittsburgh. They save so much money they gladly pick up the hotel bill.

It's amazing how cheap hotels are now around race weekends. Back in the day you needed 3 night minimums at some places at about $175 per. Now i can get a single night at a pretty nice hotel in Roanoke for under $100.

It's amazing how cheap hotels are now around race weekends. Back in the day you needed 3 night minimums at some places at about $175 per. Now i can get a single night at a pretty nice hotel in Roanoke for under $100.
Just to be safe I always book mine before the NASCAR schedule is released. The motel folks generally wait to raise their rates a few days after the announced schedule.

Went to Martinsville in 97, bought a $30 day ticket on back stretch (now covered by advertisement banners)
race got rained out, came back Monday, had my choice of seats...sat in turn 3 close to top
Jeff Burton edged Dale Earnhardt for the win.
unlike today, after the race.
We were able to walk into the track, walk around track, went inside of infield and was standing 20 feet away from NASCAR officials as the took the heads off of Burton and Earnhardt's engines, then put a gig on the engine to test them.
Burton's engine passed right away
after several test and conferring with other NASCAR officials Earnhardt's passed........

Went to Martinsville in 97, bought a $30 day ticket on back stretch (now covered by advertisement banners)
race got rained out, came back Monday, had my choice of seats...sat in turn 3 close to top
Jeff Burton edged Dale Earnhardt for the win.
unlike today, after the race.
We were able to walk into the track, walk around track, went inside of infield and was standing 20 feet away from NASCAR officials as the took the heads off of Burton and Earnhardt's engines, then put a gig on the engine to test them.
Burton's engine passed right away
after several test and conferring with other NASCAR officials Earnhardt's passed........

Top "row" where you were sitting made me laugh. That must have been row 6? lol

That's an awesome experience and shows just how different things were then. Martinsville is the oldest track on the schedule and worthy of the pilgrimage for the history alone imo....

Are the hot dogs as bad on the digestive system as I've read on Twitter and various other articles? If I ever attend a race there, I want to stock up on those dogs, they look so good on tv

Are the hot dogs as bad on the digestive system as I've read on Twitter and various other articles? If I ever attend a race there, I want to stock up on those dogs, they look so good on tv
If you eat just the wrapper and cardboard tray, they're delicious. Chock full of fiber too. :D

Well I might have been a little premature with my "officially headed to Martinsville" title. As of right now I'm undecided if I'm going to make the trip. I'm not going to waste my time and money to drive down if it looks like it's futile. My plan to golf Saturday is going to be cooked since the Winchester/Harrisonburg areas are going to receive 6+ inches of snow tonight, into tomorrow. I can easily eat the $60 ticket and put the money I'll say on gas and my hotel towards another race, perhaps Dover.

I knew late March was a bit sketchy (it's a bad date for Martinsville) but I was hedging my bets. Cold with snow/rain is basically the worst case scenario. Owell, see how the next 48 hours or so goes and I'll make a final decision Friday morning

Know what you mean. I have done my share of rain outs and rain delays over the years.
Its fair weather for me now here on out , borderlining , bluebird chamber of commerce weather.

A lot can change this far out.

Last year I went to Dover and the forecast 3 days out had it as showers all day. Come Sunday there wasn’t a cloud in the sky and I had one of the worst sunburns of my life. Keep the faith!

A lot can change this far out.

Last year I went to Dover and the forecast 3 days out had it as showers all day. Come Sunday there wasn’t a cloud in the sky and I had one of the worst sunburns of my life. Keep the faith!

I hear you but I'm already a bit upset that I won't be able to play golf Saturday on the way down. The whole point of me wanting to go to Martinsville was the chance to get away from what has been a very snowy March in Northeast PA, play a round of golf and see a race. With golf having a 0% of happening (no way will the snow be melted from tonight/tomorrows storm by Saturday) and the race looking like a 50/50 proposition (right now) i'm a bit frustrated. Snow, as in measurable snow, is just the worse case scenario because even if it was showery and 55 I could at least justify driving down Saturday to get a round of golf in (i'm a hardy golfer) and see what happens Sunday. I'm not driving 450+ miles to go 0 for 2.

I have to pass through west-central VA this weekend regardless of the weather. Sunday I have the luxury of waiting until the last minute to decide whether to go buy a ticket at the track, or to go bird watching and keep up with the track drying status. Either will be better than continuing on to Pittsburgh Monday morning.

Well I might have been a little premature with my "officially headed to Martinsville" title. As of right now I'm undecided if I'm going to make the trip. I'm not going to waste my time and money to drive down if it looks like it's futile. My plan to golf Saturday is going to be cooked since the Winchester/Harrisonburg areas are going to receive 6+ inches of snow tonight, into tomorrow. I can easily eat the $60 ticket and put the money I'll say on gas and my hotel towards another race, perhaps Dover.

I knew late March was a bit sketchy (it's a bad date for Martinsville) but I was hedging my bets. Cold with snow/rain is basically the worst case scenario. Owell, see how the next 48 hours or so goes and I'll make a final decision Friday morning
Just curious, why did you buy the $60 ticket in advance? I have found myself in your position many times over the years, especially with Atlanta, but I always wait to buy my ticket at the track. Oh, I need a ticket for this Sunday, wished I knew someone who had an extra.

but I always wait to buy my ticket at the track.
Or on line / over the phone on Wednesday or Thursday, and pick them up when I get there. Most tracks aren't selling out any more, and I can usually find open seats above me to move up to.

What I never got when I was going to races was the mentality of fans who thought sitting on the 50 yard line was the best seat.:D Coming out of turn 4 or the other end going into one are as good or better. There are always open seats in both places and you can sit in either when the race is going on.

What I never got when I was going to races was the mentality of fans who thought sitting on the 50 yard line was the best seat.:D Coming out of turn 4 or the other end going into one are as good or better. There are always open seats in both places and you can sit in either when the race is going on.

I am a turn one area fan myself. :D (most of the time) At "BRISTOL" (night race) I am a middle between turn one and two fan. You can see the whole track and race and never move your head. :punkrocke (see below for further details)

Back
Top Bottom