Officially Headed to Martinsville

What I never got when I was going to races was the mentality of fans who thought sitting on the 50 yard line was the best seat.:D Coming out of turn 4 or the other end going into one are as good or better. There are always open seats in both places and you can sit in either when the race is going on.
I know you intended '50 yard line' as a way of saying Start / Finish. However, it could be taken almost literally. I wonder if the preference is carried over from football, basketball, and other sports when sitting centered on the playing surface is considered the most desirable? The tracks must think those are the best seats, since they're often priced higher than the turns. (I get the fish-eyed stare from friends when I tell them the higher seats cost more than Chicken Bone Alley, until I explain that the view is better.)

I'm with you; gimme turn 1 or 4 whenever possible.

I am a turn one area fan myself. :D (most of the time) At "BRISTOL" (night race) I am a middle between turn one and two fan. You can see the whole track and race and never move your head. :punkrocke (see below for further details)
That's why I miss the seats Charlotte had between 1 and 2, and the ones in Atlanta between 3 and 4.

I know you intended '50 yard line' as a way of saying Start / Finish. However, it could be taken almost literally. I wonder if the preference is carried over from football, basketball, and other sports when sitting centered on the playing surface is considered the most desirable? The tracks must think those are the best seats, since they're often priced higher than the turns. (I get the fish-eyed stare from friends when I tell them the higher seats cost more than Chicken Bone Alley, until I explain that the view is better.)

I'm with you; gimme turn 1 or 4 whenever possible.
All you have to do is think. Football is east and west so sit in the middle to see both ends. Nascar coming out of the turns or going into them after restarts is where most of the action is. Also the faster cars usually pit close by turn 4 or turn one as a general rule.

All you have to do is think. Football is east and west so sit in the middle to see both ends. Nascar coming out of the turns or going into them after restarts is where most of the action is. Also the faster cars usually pit close by turn 4 or turn one as a general rule.
But, but, ... but they cost more! They must be better! :XXROFL:

Back when the Darlington race was in the spring, I had a man-crush on Brasington Tower in turn 1. Great view of pit exit, and the cars coming down the front are pointed right at you. It was so easy to see who was going to be in trouble when they had to funnel into the turn. Unfortunately, with the move back to Labor Day, the sun in now directly in your face for the first quarter to third of the race, making it impossible to tell which car is which. Fortunately, there's Pearson Tower in turn 4...

Too many years watching the dirt sprints. Turn 4 was where it was happening. Restarts, racing to the finish line, and the pits were over on that end. They did sling a lot of dirt and mud sitting there to try to dodge, and you hoped you didn't forget your safety glasses. :D

All you have to do is think. Football is east and west so sit in the middle to see both ends.And it's only 100 yards long. Nascar coming out of the turns or going into them after restarts is where most of the action is. Also the faster cars usually pit close by turn 4 or turn one as a general rule.

;)

I am a turn one area fan myself. :D (most of the time) At "BRISTOL" (night race) I am a middle between turn one and two fan. You can see the whole track and race and never move your head. :punkrocke (see below for further details)

We use to sit in the middle of the turns at Dover for the exact reason you said. Everything is literally right in front of you!

Just curious, why did you buy the $60 ticket in advance? I have found myself in your position many times over the years, especially with Atlanta, but I always wait to buy my ticket at the track. Oh, I need a ticket for this Sunday, wished I knew someone who had an extra.

For whatever reason there were only 3-4 seats available above row 13 or 14 in the Bill France Tower. I was shocked. Hindsight the best bet is to buy the cheap seats in the clay earl area and just move up to the $68 level.

Pocono I wait a few days beforehand. With Martinsville I had planned the race and golf so I was "committed". However, i didn't plan on a major snowstorm affecting the Shenandoah Valley....lol. Thankfully the forecast has improved so while chilly, it looks dry in the afternoon....

Back
Top Bottom