Old Chase threads

this version got four cars in the chase that wouldn't have made it in the previous versions. That might have brought in some income that they wouldn't have made, who knows for sure. As far as changes go, I don't think it cost the teams any more money. Nothing like all the changes Nascar made to the cars this year, and all the changes they are making the teams do for next year.

This type of points format doesn't belong in auto racing. JMO, of course.

I don't think there is another form of racing that uses a playoff system instead of season points to determine it's champion . If Nascar would change something as fundamental as that , then where is it headed with future changes ?

I don't think there is another form of racing that uses a playoff system instead of season points to determine it's champion . If Nascar would change something as fundamental as that , then where is it headed with future changes ?

i hear they're doin somethin w/ daytona grandstands too. ? ? :D

One thing for sure with this new Chase system. It sure has you all talking. Love it or hate it it's generating a whole lot of interest on this board. ;)
I know I'm interested as ever!

how_i_feel_watching_conservatives_react_to_president_obamas_re_election-11081.gif

One thing for sure with this new Chase system. It sure has you all talking. Love it or hate it it's generating a whole lot of interest on this board. ;)
Yeah yeah...if I stepped outside my front door, pulled my pants down and walked down the street yelling "I am a ninny!", that would get a lot of attention too. ;)

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum stuff so just bear with me. I'm an 18 year old American-Cuban living in Miami, Florida whose life revolves around NASCAR. My dad grew up an Earnhardt fan, and naturally I've grown up a Junior fan. My first race was actually the 01' 500. Because I live here in Miami, My dad and I have attended the season ending race every year since 2004, so I've seen first hand how every version of NASCAR's chase has played out. Personally, I think they have all had flaws. I am an old soul though, so I like the original points system without the chase, but I do like some aspects of it. This new Chase Grid actually had me intrigued, but I soon discovered its flaws as it has played out these past few weeks. I came up with this new system that I think NASCAR should take a look at. Instead of a 10 race chase, we limit it to 5 races. Each race is held at a different style track, such as 1.5, plate, mile, short, and road coarse; that way, a driver would need to perform at all styles of tracks to win the title. Also, the venues change every year so drivers don't get too comfy at the same tracks. Only 10 drivers make the chase, the top ten in points. I would keep the current points system, point per position, point for leading a lap, point for leading most laps, etc. But, I would give 4 bonus points instead of 3 for each race won going into the chase. Because of a 5 race playoff, drivers with no wins would have to run top 5 every race to make up points on drivers starting out with bonus points. It increases the urgency to win more than the current system I think, and it calls for proficiency at all types of tracks, and the champion is going to be the best overall driver. 31 race regular season, 5 race playoff. 10 drivers, 5 races, 1 champion. Feedback is welcome, I thought of this during my math class today, and I know it's not perfect.

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum stuff so just bear with me. I'm an 18 year old American-Cuban living in Miami, Florida whose life revolves around NASCAR. My dad grew up an Earnhardt fan, and naturally I've grown up a Junior fan. My first race was actually the 01' 500. Because I live here in Miami, My dad and I have attended the season ending race every year since 2004, so I've seen first hand how every version of NASCAR's chase has played out. Personally, I think they have all had flaws. I am an old soul though, so I like the original points system without the chase, but I do like some aspects of it. This new Chase Grid actually had me intrigued, but I soon discovered its flaws as it has played out these past few weeks. I came up with this new system that I think NASCAR should take a look at. Instead of a 10 race chase, we limit it to 5 races. Each race is held at a different style track, such as 1.5, plate, mile, short, and road coarse; that way, a driver would need to perform at all styles of tracks to win the title. Also, the venues change every year so drivers don't get too comfy at the same tracks. Only 10 drivers make the chase, the top ten in points. I would keep the current points system, point per position, point for leading a lap, point for leading most laps, etc. But, I would give 4 bonus points instead of 3 for each race won going into the chase. Because of a 5 race playoff, drivers with no wins would have to run top 5 every race to make up points on drivers starting out with bonus points. It increases the urgency to win more than the current system I think, and it calls for proficiency at all types of tracks, and the champion is going to be the best overall driver. 31 race regular season, 5 race playoff. 10 drivers, 5 races, 1 champion. Feedback is welcome, I thought of this during my math class today, and I know it's not perfect.

welcome juan.
only flaw you'll find in '14 chase........if you-n- dad don't have tickets for homestead ! :D

gonna be best cup finale ever !

Welcome Juan . Glad to have you aboard . The Chase could turn out to be really special this year if Ryan Newman or Denny Hamlin wins it . Stay tuned.

No matter how "exciting" this chase format is, no one will ever be able to convince me that crowing a seasonal champion in a racing series based off of their finishing position in one race is anything other than ludicrous. Resetting the points of the contenders every three races? A racing playoff system? It all sounds like something from a video game, and not the way to determine the seasonal champion of the biggest racing series in the country.

Yes, lets go back to awarding points based off how much money the races pays and the length of the track.

No matter how "exciting" this chase format is, no one will ever be able to convince me that crowing a seasonal champion in a racing series based off of their finishing position in one race is anything other than ludicrous. Resetting the points of the contenders every three races? A racing playoff system? It all sounds like something from a video game, and not the way to determine the seasonal champion of the biggest racing series in the country.

yeah.......god forbid tha other biggest sports series in usa -----nfl....ncaa....etc.... adopt a silly playoff system !
country will be in ruins ! :D

yeah.......god forbid tha other biggest sports series in usa -----nfl....ncaa....etc.... adopt a silly playoff system !
country will be in ruins ! :D

Racing isn't like those other events. If a player loses the sole of their Nike on one play of a game, it more than likely won't cause the team to lose. But if a racer has a blowout that puts them in the wall their day is ruined. There is no comparison between racing and basketball, baseball, football, etc.

And as the old saying goes, those aren't sports - they're games!;)

Racing isn't like those other events. If a player loses the sole of their Nike on one play of a game, it more than likely won't cause the team to lose. But if a racer has a blowout that puts them in the wall their day is ruined. There is no comparison between racing and basketball, baseball, football, etc.

wanna watch a game ......tune into charlotte race sat. nite.

racin is exactly like all other games. they're all entertainment !
w/o butts in tha seat....and /or ....eyeballs on tv ......non of 'em exist on a grand scale like nascar / nfl / nba / mlb /etc
thus playoffs ! better entertainment .

Yes sir, I can go with that myself. Even with all the safety precautions motorsports has at present, hardly a year goes by that a race car driver dies participating in the sport. Some live but are disabled for life. The sport ain't for sissys

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
Ernest Hemingway

1455.jpg

Last edited:
I think Joey put it pretty good... and this coming from the guy who would have a 28 point lead right now... why can't we get a grip on this too? Lol

YOU WOULD HAVE A HEALTHY LEAD IN THE POINTS UNDER THE OLD CHASE SYSTEM. DOES THAT MAKE YOU WISH WE STILL HAD THE OLD SYSTEM?

“I mean when you are in the position that we are in, of course, you would love to see the old system still. But that’s not the system we are playing under this year, so you can’t really look too much into it. I think it just shows performance. Sure right now, we would like to see the points not reset, but they are. They will reset again after Talladega. And by that point, we could be eighth. You just don’t worry about it. It’s nice to look at and its good for the guys and their moral, but we just want to look one weekend at a time and one race at a time. Our ultimate goal is to win this championship, and we will do what we need to do to win it in the system that we have.”

I was unsure about how this new Chase was going to play out but now have to say that I'm warming up to it...very warm :D

What If Champion Had 1 or 0 Wins?

What if Kasey Kahne rallied to win the championship? Or Ryan Newman. Or Matt Kenseth? Or Kyle Busch? You know, drivers with no wins or one win this season.

Would it be a travesty? Or a remarkable accomplishment worth remembering?

The Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup makes upsets more likely. Just like in other sports where a 10-loss North Carolina State team won the 1983 NCAA men’s basketball national title, the Miami Marlins won the World Series twice despite not winning their division and the New York Giants, a wildcard team, beat a previously undefeated New England Patriots squad for the Super Bowl in 2008.

Are those championship sullied because the best teams supposedly didn’t win the titles? Not by many. Instead, Cinderella is revered.

What if it happened in NASCAR?

Kahne could be a remarkable Cinderella NASCAR champion.

Should Kahne, who is sitting outside a transfer spot in the Contender Round, rally and go on to win the crown, he would likely have the fewest top-five and top-10 finishes since the early days of the sport. Kahne enters Saturday’s race at Charlotte with three top-five finishes and 10 top-10 results this season.

Could Kahne truly view himself as a champion if he won the title after a season like this?

Yes.

Read the rest here

What if Kasey Kahne rallied to win the championship? Or Ryan Newman. Or Matt Kenseth? Or Kyle Busch? You know, drivers with no wins or one win this season.

The Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup makes upsets more likely. Just like in other sports where a 10-loss North Carolina State team won the 1983 NCAA men’s basketball national title, the Miami Marlins won the World Series twice despite not winning their division and the New York Giants, a wildcard team, beat a previously undefeated New England Patriots squad for the Super Bowl in 2008.

Are those championship sullied because the best teams supposedly didn’t win the titles? Not by many. Instead, Cinderella is revered.

Should Kahne, who is sitting outside a transfer spot in the Contender Round, rally and go on to win the crown, he would likely have the fewest top-five and top-10 finishes since the early days of the sport. Kahne enters Saturday’s race at Charlotte with three top-five finishes and 10 top-10 results this season.

Could Kahne truly view himself as a champion if he won the title after a season like this?

Yes.

Read the rest here
Then good for them if they can pull it off. I've said from february that the champ will deserve it. Its no farce making it to the final four.. anyone who accomplishes that is worthy of a cup imo... If they can do that without winning... even better for them really... While I do think the champ should be able to outrun the field a few times a season or at least hang out in the top 5 a lot.... if they can do it that way... good on em.

Yes.

Read the rest here
It be awesome, though for my bold prediction Kasey needs to win 4 of the last 6.

Yes.

Read the rest here
It'd be kinda funny if the Championship in the format where "winning is everything" goes to someone who hasn't won anything.

Drama, hell yeah! Eff the Chase all you want but that was some pretty good stuff again last night. Tempers flare. Lot's of emotion that probably wouldn't have been expressed if it weren't for this years battle for the Championship. Like the Chase or not it's creating some excitement that wouldn't otherwise be there.

A lot of people not looking forward to Dega thats for sure.

I believe our bottom 3 will stay there.
My driver is going to drive his a$$ off next week and make it to the next round with a victory.

I'm looking forward to this upcoming race. Emotions will be at an all time high with so much on the line.

My driver is going to drive his a$$ off next week and make it to the next round with a victory.

I'm looking forward to this upcoming race. Emotions will be at an all time high with so much on the line.

After last night's race, he may have CTS by then.

Oops :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Edit: I'll consider not using abbrs. early on Sunday mornings :)
Thanks. I was using my new, larger Solo cups for my Bud Light last night and I may have had more than my usual prescribed Saturday night beer intake. I'm working on my recovery right now. ;)

Thanks. I was using my new, larger Solo cups for my Bud Light last night and I may have had more than my usual prescribed Saturday night beer intake. I'm working on my recovery right now. ;)

100% acceptable excuse but maybe you should talk to Ted's nurse.

Drama, hell yeah! Eff the Chase all you want but that was some pretty good stuff again last night. Tempers flare. Lot's of emotion that probably wouldn't have been expressed if it weren't for this years battle for the Championship. Like the Chase or not it's creating some excitement that wouldn't otherwise be there.
The drama was interesting. But the chase format still sucks. ;)

Given Brad and Denny's tempers, last night probably would have happened regardless of format, although I must say Matt's divebomb of Brad was a pleasant surprise.

I still hate it for the way the champion is determined. and the inclusion of talledega.

but it does creates a new story line and debate topics for each event.

Back
Top Bottom