OLD POINT SYSTEM VS NEW SYSTEM/ PLAYOFFS

They could change it back to what it was before the chase. Then newer fans would know what us old timers felt like, when they changed to what they have now. Of course it won't happen, BF never makes a bad decision.
New fans think this is bitchen because they don't know any better.

I have had the same person cut my hair for over 30 years and we were talking about some of the changes she has seen in that time and how she is down to 2 rinse and sets a week for her "old lady" customers and when she started out that was the bulk of her business. The ladies that liked rinse and sets and had standing appointments each week have died off and no one is taking their place under the beehive hair dryers. We can discuss polyester stretch pants and a later date.

Like rinse and sets I think American auto racing has just gone out of style with many people and while Nascar has no doubt hastened the departure of many they were bound to have left anyway. Nascar could do away with pit road speeds, commitment cones, ugly assed cars and any number of other things and I don't think we would see any meaningful change in the number of people following the series. Auto racing is not going to die and neither is Nascar but they will become smaller in scope and will feature a dedicated group of followers much like today. IDK what the ratio is of fans exiting Nascar each year to those entering but the losses are palpable and any attempt to deny that or spin it another way is foolishness, IMO.

Nascar could do itself a huge favor by not setting itself up to be ridiculed as ignorance is on display every time Brian France opens his mouth and other mouth pieces like Brent Dewar makes comments like the later starting times are due to the fact most Nascar fans reside in Cali. I have only listed 2 examples but if you don't want to be treated as a group of incompetent fools then don't behave like them. If Nascar was as relevant as the NFL they would be getting roasted mercilessly on the late evening talk shows.
I'll bet your hair gal has less to sweep up when you're done than she did 30 years ago :)

Ok where do I start lol.. well I been watching for about two years now..i have always liked cars though but to be honest I use to think NASCAR was the dumbest thing ever and I'm just being honest ..I just didn't understand why people watched cars go in a circle .. I thought everybody with a driver license could be a NASCAR driver lol..But boy was I wrong lol.. it all started one day at work.. I wanted a new light weight jacket and thought about a NASCAR jacket lol i don't know why but I said that would be cool to get one haha.. so I looked them up and researched some drivers and stats and stuff like that.. Thej I realized I could just go to a race shop here in Charlotte and buy a jacket! Thought that was cool also, then I also realized almost all shops is right by my house or not far away!! So I said since I like cars and all the shops are here let me check NASCAR out and see what's it all about.. I wanted to give it a chance and stop being negative about it...so I did some research and this was right before the Daytona 500 .. so I watched the race and was hooked!!!!! The speed these cars go and how close to are to each other was just crazy to me lol... so right after that I went back to joe Gibbs shop where I got my Kyle Busch jacket at lol and talked to a few people there ..I asked what race I should go to first that's close to Charlotte because I couldn't wait until May for the coc 600, they told me martinsville.. booked it the same day!! Went to martinsville and couldn't believe what I been missing all my life.. the sounds the smell the speed the history of the sport I just love it now.. I appreciate the sport so much now.. I love the merchandise too it's cool to me.. I love the throwback shirts.. I use to go to NBA games NFL games and the tickets for those are expensive not so much NASCAR so the stuff people complain about it's crazy to me.. I love being able to go see the drivers at the shops on Tuesdays and chop it up with people that work there and also buy something when I'm there.. I'm a regular at joe Gibbs now.. I have spent so much money there it's crazy haha
Nascar needs more fans like you bud. I'm liking your energy and feeling your excitement.
yes.gif
clap.gif

Honestly I think we will see the old point system return. Not because it's going to be the best option... but I believe it will be one of the last ditch efforts as the sponsors and sanctioning body become more desperate.

No need to debate if it would work or not, we will find out.

You know what amazes me most about this thread?

Its not the new points system, not the old points system, not even the no points system.

Its the posters on here that have analyzed all us fans that have actually experienced great racing, and are now leery of all the changes that are continuing to be made (under the guise of improvements - greed has little to do with it), and have made their diagnoses that we are all universially unhappy and simply know nothing about good racing.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahavroomvroomplop. (Laugh my butt off while racing)

Why do people complain all the time about the new point system? and then say if they bring the old point system back NASCAR will be great again and it will bring back all the fans.. was it really that much better? I feel like if you like the sport you like the sport no matter what.

People need to realize that changing the system back to the way it was will NOT bring back fans, and it will not fix the sport. The change has happened, and nothing will change it. The world is changing, and so is the way sports are conducted as products. Some people are too passionate to get behind that. It's just cooperate America for you.

I watched 8 seasons before the chase was implimented, and I have nothing to complain about. What the complaints really are, are nostalgic rationalizations of fustrations about the evolution of the sport, and how it is different than when a fan started watching it and how it has dipped in quality.

It's still racing, and I don't think the sport cares about fans who are still upset about something that started 13 years ago. NASCAR is just trying to keep up with the world, and modern sports. Unfortunately, the sport is run by uneducated morons. Understand this, and you can take it for what it is, and enjoy it for what it is.

... The change has happened, and nothing will change it. ...
The 'change' has been changed at least three times.

I doubt going back to the 2003 system will bring back old fans or attract new ones, but the current system is no more written in stone than its predecessors. I wouldn't rule out seeing the old system revived, but I'm neither betting on it nor holding my breath while waiting.

Let me add, I have been to EVERY NH chase race that has been run, and I have heard A LOT of talks about the chase, in the same manner you hear other fans talk about playoffs. I hear people positively engaged in discussion. I have never heard a complaint..

People don't hate the chase as much as it seems. I'd say a solid 60-70 percent of fans are content with the sport. Online, you get a very specific sample of passionate, thoughtful fans who have invested more mental and emotional energy into the sport (same with film fans, etc). But what you see here, likely doesn't represent the general population of today's NASCAR fans. You get the POV of the more passionate fans, but I think fans as ourselves here are in the minority.

The 'change' has been changed at least three times.

I doubt going back to the 2003 system will bring back old fans or attract new ones, but the current system is no more written in stone than its predecessors. I wouldn't rule out seeing the old system revived, but I'm neither betting on it nor holding my breath while waiting.

Point is, it has gone from a marathon to a sprint.

With variations of the sprint. This season puts some stock into regular season performance.

Man, NASCAR IS trying. They are.

I know that mine does based on my 1985 passport photo. 32 years ago. Lol
Who said the 80's weren't fantastic.
64cf9e3367fd2a8c4bacc97be826b575.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Man, did you play bass, or lead guitar!?

Point is, it has gone from a marathon to a sprint.

With variations of the sprint. This season puts some stock into regular season performance.

Man, NASCAR IS trying. They are.
Of all the changes to the Chase, this is the one I dislike the least. They finally decided the bonus points would carry over through the entire playoff. I'm still a bit confused about stage bonus points or whatever they're called, but I haven't looked at the info on that since it was first released. I'm just going to let them tell me who's ranked where after Richmond and accept their math.

You know what amazes me most about this thread?

Its not the new points system, not the old points system, not even the no points system.

Its the posters on here that have analyzed all us fans that have actually experienced great racing, and are now leery of all the changes that are continuing to be made (under the guise of improvements - greed has little to do with it), and have made their diagnoses that we are all universially unhappy and simply know nothing about good racing.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahavroomvroomplop. (Laugh my butt off while racing)

I think some folks just get tired of hearing how Nascar sucks and instead of ignoring the offending posts they reflexively tell us how rotten things were during the time period many of us enjoyed the most. I don't think some of the folks were even born let alone watched the racing of yesteryear so I normally read those comments with a healthy dose of skepticism. In the long run it all comes down to what people like and don't like and that can't be judged by facts and figures and looking at 40 year old races on YouTube.

Let me add, I have been to EVERY NH chase race that has been run, and I have heard A LOT of talks about the chase, in the same manner you hear other fans talk about playoffs. I hear people positively engaged in discussion. I have never heard a complaint..

People don't hate the chase as much as it seems. I'd say a solid 60-70 percent of fans are content with the sport. Online, you get a very specific sample of passionate, thoughtful fans who have invested more mental and emotional energy into the sport (same with film fans, etc). But what you see here, likely doesn't represent the general population of today's NASCAR fans. You get the POV of the more passionate fans, but I think fans as ourselves here are in the minority.

I can't tell how many people like or dislike Nascar from personal interactions as I no longer know any fans of the series. It didn't used to be that way as we had large groups that would caravan to races and there were always parties to attend and other hoopla but it is complete crickets now. Regarding the Chase or whatever new program is in place IDK how many people like it but I know that a ton more people need to embrace the entire series doesn't keep suffering year over year losses.

Seeing the incomparable Pete Townshend has brightened my day. RIP Moonie and Bumper Fingers.

Yes, this, we here on this forum make up a very small part of the fan base, and I see this on other forums for other subjects, where the 1% think they represent the entire base.

I would really like being able to sit around with a group of fans that don't have any agendas and find out what they like and what they would like to see changed in Nascar. So often people get married to a position and won't consider anything that deviates from it.

I think some folks just get tired of hearing how Nascar sucks and instead of ignoring the offending posts they reflexively tell us how rotten things were during the time period many of us enjoyed the most. I don't think some of the folks were even born let alone watched the racing of yesteryear so I normally read those comments with a healthy dose of skepticism. In the long run it all comes down to what people like and don't like and that can't be judged by facts and figures and looking at 40 year old races on YouTube.

Yeah. I never had an issue. I didnt see ALL the races of yesteryear, but I still saw a solid 8 or 9 seasons before the chase.

And I can say I still enjoy being a fan as much as I ever had. As I said before, my rationale is that ALL sports are so ridiculously manipulated
Yes, this, we here on this forum make up a very small part of the fan base, and I see this on other forums for other subjects, where the 1% think they represent the entire base.

Bingo.

Yeah. I never had an issue. I didnt see ALL the races of yesteryear, but I still saw a solid 8 or 9 seasons before the chase.

And I can say I still enjoy being a fan as much as I ever had. As I said before, my rationale is that ALL sports are so ridiculously manipulated

Bingo.
yep they all are. me too, it's a sport, I enjoy it for what it is. It was a kick to see what Nascar did with the Xfinity race. F-1 changes have brought about more exciting races and Indycar is always trying something. I watched an ARCA race at a short track at the old IRP with second hand stuff that was a good race, but really, looking at the facility it would be a joke to have a cup race there. Trucks would work for sure.

yep they all are. me too, it's a sport, I enjoy it for what it is. It was a kick to see what Nascar did with the Xfinity race. F-1 changes have brought about more exciting races and Indycar is always trying something. I watched an ARCA race at a short track at the old IRP with second hand stuff that was a good race, but really, looking at the facility it would be a joke to have a cup race there. Trucks would work for sure.

Exactly. I'm not blindly defending the sport either, I have issues with it. Faky yellows, to the on track product, the cars, race interference, and unstable points systems are all complaints. I'd rather focus on what we have, and let the passion of what made me a fan be the primary source of emotion. Complaining about something that won't change is a rationalization of fustration, that's on me and would become my issue, not NASCAR's. So, it just seems easier to accept and embrace..and grow with the world we live in.

Can I say I'm excited for the Brickyard today? Hell yes!

I always loved those ARCA cars

Why do people complain all the time about the new point system? and then say if they bring the old point system back NASCAR will be great again and it will bring back all the fans.. was it really that much better? I feel like if you like the sport you like the sport no matter what.

No one is saying that.

Several people on here are saying they don't believe removing the playoffs would bring back any fans, and they've never heard anyone say that.

Allow me to be the first- I'm sure at least some fans would return if our disgusting playoff format were thrown out! Had my dad not been here in Texas for the start of the 2014 season, I would have quit watching! The playoff announcement made me angry!

Bingo.

IMO, Nascar could do itself a huge favor by trying to become more sporty and less gimmicky as they are still using 30 year old gimmicks at Talladega and Daytona. IDK what kind of car the next one will be but they absolutely must get it right as the last 2 cars have been poor and accelerated fans exiting the series, IMO.

Exactly. I'm not blindly defending the sport either, I have issues with it. Faky yellows, to the on track product, the cars, race interference, and unstable points systems are all complaints. I'd rather focus on what we have, and let the passion of what made me a fan be the primary source of emotion. Complaining about something that won't change is a rationalization of fustration, that's on me and would become my issue, not NASCAR's. So, it just seems easier to accept and embrace..and grow with the world we live in.

Can I say I'm excited for the Brickyard today? Hell yes!
yep this world is working as hard as they can to eliminate fossil fuels with different renewable forms of energy. But some continue to carp on about the loss of fans as the world continues to evolve in another direction. But man will be racing something in the future, it's in his nature. Some of the star wars series had some good racing. :p

Back
Top Bottom