Old School NASCAR Moments

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Get That 88 Up There !!, Jul 16, 2014.

1. 34 years ago today, Terry Labonte gets his 1st career win at the Southern 500

Greg and TooSweet like this.
  2. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I guess it's "old school" to me. I came across this earlier today:

3. ted@economy

[email protected] in the interest of equal time

Cool story Larry , thanks.

4. ted@economy

[email protected] in the interest of equal time

Heck of a race by two great drivers . Thanks Mr. Excitement !

ToyYoda likes this.
  5. Last race at North Wikesboro happened 19 years ago today

[​IMG]

6. pudge

pudge When Nothing Goes Right....Go Left

7. kkfan91

kkfan91 Taking a 10-200

man that year was frustrating.

8. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

13 years ago today, Jeff Gordon wins the first Cup race at Kansas.
    gordonjube_t210.jpg

FLRacingFan likes this.
  9. pjmolo

pjmolo Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .

I recognize some of those pictures as being taken "back in the day" at Raceway Park in Calumet Park, Illinois, just south of Chicago.

The #71 car (attachment 13992) was driven by Larry Middleton, a two-time late model champion at the track.

That's Stash Kullman in the 4U car (attachment 13994) and Bob Pronger in the #1 car (attachment 13995).

The track, a quarter mile in length and paved with asphalt, was in operation from the late '30's until it closed in 2000. It was torn down in 2001 and shortly thereafter a shopping center went up on the site.

Still have a lot of great memories of the place.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Greg likes this.
  10. Here's something old school, Buffet Benny from 1991

[email protected] likes this.
  11. 25 years ago today, Ken Schrader wins at Charlotte

TooSweet and [email protected] like this.
  12. The Nature Boy

The Nature Boy Stylin and Profilin

For as good as Kyle Larson is, I feel like you don't see rookies like Johnson, Newman and Kahne anymore. How often do we see Cup rookies contending for wins almost right off the bat?

13. TooSweet

TooSweet Guest

Any night Bristol race from the 90s. Not that old school, but man, what awesome memories.

pudge likes this.
  14. pudge

pudge When Nothing Goes Right....Go Left

[​IMG]

15. Since the off-season starts in two days, I thought it would be good to put this thread back up, and maybe it will get more use in the off-season then it did during the season.

DUN24 likes this.
  16. 13 years, 8 months, and 6 days ago, Kevin Harvick won his 1st race, and now he is a Cup Series Champion

Blaze, Kiante and FLRacingFan like this.
  17. CamelPowered

CamelPowered Jimmy Spencer Never Forgets!

18. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I had no idea just how long Steve Byrnes has been around.

And damn, that was some hard racing.

Greg likes this.
  19. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

14 years ago today - Jerry Nadeau's only career NASCAR national series win, in the final Cup race on ESPN until 2007:

31 years ago today:

Greg and TooSweet like this.
  20. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

Thanks for posting that. I was there for that race.
    The BGN races at Hickory was the best races I ever saw, anywhere. Great memories

CamelPowered likes this.
  21. 32 years ago today, Tim Richmond sweeps Riverside
    [​IMG]

pudge, kymartin6, Greg and 1 other person like this.
  22. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

Not really "old school", but four years ago today, Jimmie Johnson wins his fifth consecutive Sprint Cup championship.
    2010 Homestead Nov NSCS Jimmie Johnson trophy family.jpg

DSquad48 likes this.
  23. Anyone that is feeling NASCAR withdraw today, here is a race for you

TooSweet likes this.
  24. CamelPowered

CamelPowered Jimmy Spencer Never Forgets!

It's cool you were there. I wish that more racing like that went on in the top levels of Nascar these days.

Greg, FLRacingFan and TooSweet like this.
  25. MRM

MRM Team Owner

pearson.jpg

David Pearson at Smoky Mountain Raceway in 1965.

26. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

The best moment of that race for me involved Robert Presley and he was very good on small tracks like that.
    He ran an Oldsmobile owned by Brad Daugherty. The car was solid black if I remember correctly, with no sponsors decals just the Presley #59. To best of my knowledge Brad was signing all the checks out of pocket.

Sometime during the middle of the race Robert spun around just in front of the flagstand. If you ever have been to Hickory you have to know how insane it was for 30 BGN cars whizzing around the place in the heat of the battle. It was incredibly sensual just sitting in the stands. I been to several 3/8 mile tracks but Hickory had a character and feel unlike any other. Lanier was more pristine but an easy track to drive, Hickory was a lot more laborious and scary as well imo.

When Robert came to a stop after the spin he was facing traffic head on. But in his mind that wasn't the biggest dilemma. They raced back to the flag in those days, and the lead pack was somewhere around turn 3 and 4 and even with the caution being thrown they were still bringing on a lot heat or speed to the flag and poised to lap Robert.

Robert nailed the throttle for a quick burst of speed and hooked a perfect 180 right in the front of the pack, then he nailed the gas to try and beat the lead car to the flag. I wish I could say it was successful and that didn't have to loose a lap, but he unfortunately the lap was lost.

But you had to be there probably sounds corny as a read, but it was an incredible maneuver against a perfect storm. One of my favorite memories.
    I took a preachers daughter to that race, but that move was the thing that had me shaking my head and thinking just damn, that was incredible
    Even some 25 years later.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    kymartin6, FLRacingFan and DUN24 like this.
  27. ztevans

ztevans Guest

Racing back to the line created some wild moments, and it was a lot harder to get a lap back once you lost it. Understandable why Presley would make such a bold move, but it must have taken cajones of steel. Looked like quite an exciting race to attend.

Greg likes this.
  28. Whizzer

Whizzer Retired entrepreneur

Ya had to love those 6 cylinder engines that sounded like a pack of mad bees looking for someone to sting. Hickory produced some great BGN racing. It was good "back in the day" when Busch Grand National cars ran at Myrtle Beach, Hickory and Orange County and one of the more exciting regular Winston Cup Series tracks they raced on was Martinsville. The Busch cars really put on a show there.

FLRacingFan, TooSweet and Greg like this.
  29. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Amid fallout from the oil crisis, the Automobile Club de l'Ouest enacted new fuel consumption bylaws for the 1975 24 Hours of Le Mans. Entries declined, manufacturers backed out, and the French sanctioning body was sent into a bit of a panic.

To ensure a full and exciting grid for 1976, the ACO expanded eligibility. Bill France Sr. sealed a deal with IMSA founder John Bishop, and the NASCAR GT (also known as Grand International) class was established to usher American stock cars into FIA sports car racing.

David Pearson's 1975 Ford Torino was the crème de la crème of this new class, derived from a Grand National chassis with a 600 HP dry-sump BOSS 429 big-block under its hood. The Torino took 1st in its class at the Daytona 24 and was originally meant to represent NASCAR GT at Le Mans '76, but dropped out after the untimely death of team lead John Holman prior to the race.

[​IMG]

Father and son team Doug and Hershel McGriff replaced David Pearson in the NASCAR GT class at Le Mans in 1976. The boys brought a red-white-and-blue war chest to France: a 1972 Dodge Charger, three purpose-built 426 engines, and 15 cases of Olympia beer labeled as "lubricant."

Unfortunately, Hershel's first run at Circuit de la Sarthe was brief—octane differences between Europe and the U.S. caused confusion (and detonation), and one of the HEMI's pistons failed after a 215 mph dash down the Mulsanne Straight. The Mopar dropped from 47th place to an outright DNF in just two laps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An invitation to Le Mans '76 was also extended to Richmond's own Junie Donlavey and his Truxmore Ford Torino, nicknamed "Herbie." Former NASCAR Rookie of the Year Dick Brooks signed on to drive, and Dick Hutcherson (who'd co-driven the #5 GT40 MKII at Le Mans '66) was coaxed out of retirement to fill the other seat.

Starting from last on the grid, the Torino didn't fare too well. Though its engine held up better than McGriff's 426, the Ford's NASCAR 4-speed saw over 20 changes per lap - grueling punishment for an oval-racing gearbox that seldom saw rapid shifts, never mind starts and restarts. By hour 11, the #90 Torino retired due to transmission issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/car-culture/muscle-on-mulsanne-best-of-the-rest-2#slide-2

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/features/c12_0606_nascar_goes_to_le_mans/viewall.html

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    kkfan91, TooSweet, StandOnIt and 3 others like this.
  30. If you ask me, the old programs look much cooler then the ones now, oh and they weren't 10 dollars
    images.jpeg images-2.jpeg Unknown.jpeg images-1.jpeg

Greg, FLRacingFan and TooSweet like this.
  31. Here is a race for this sunday

32. Racer X

Racer X Guest

So, is this a good place to upload some of my personal photos?

Attached Files:

33. Racer X

Racer X Guest

Guess I'll take that as a "no".

Attached Files:

34. Sorry i haven't replied but this is a good place to upload photos

35. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

pudge likes this.
  36. I'm glad someone bumped this thread. I've really enjoyed reading and seeing the pictures. ;)

pudge likes this.
  37. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

The fastest NASCAR race ever, the 1987 Busch Clash at an average speed of 197.802 MPH (for many years, caution laps in the Busch Clash did not count):

pudge likes this.
  38. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Dale Earnhardt's first win at Daytona, the 1980 Busch Clash. One hell of a race:

pudge likes this.