Old School NASCAR Moments

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Get That 88 Up There !!, Jul 16, 2014.

1. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Rusty Wallace's only career restrictor plate win, the 1998 Bud Shootout:

2019PensekeFan, DanicaFreak and pudge like this.
  2. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Neil Bonnett wins the 1983 Busch Clash with a last-lap pass after winning a wild card berth into the race:

3. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

4. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

DUN24 likes this.
  5. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle

Barnburner. Love Jackie Stewart in the booth during the old telecasts.

6. On this day, 20 years ago, Ricky Rudd wins at Rockingham

DUN24 and sdj like this.
  7. 15 years ago today, Dale Jr grabs his 1st career win at Talladega

Mike Crayne, sdj and 29-4 like this.
  8. 29-4

29-4 Team Owner

Man, the wicker-bill plate package was fun. Don't know why NASCAR went away from it.

9. 4tires17gals

4tires17gals Team Owner

1993 was 1st year for automated scoring

10. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

Such good racing

11. 21 years ago, Ward Burton grabs his 1st career win at Rockingham

2 Sweet and ToyYoda like this.
  12. On this day 20 years ago, Jack Sprague wins in the truck series at Phoenix.

2 Sweet likes this.
  13. On this day 14 years ago, Kurt Busch wins at Atlanta

14. donthaveanickname

donthaveanickname Team Owner

Yesterday it was 30 years ago when Dale Earnhardt won in Atlanta as the only car on the lead lap and secured his 2nd Winston Cup Championship.

15. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

14 years ago today on November 3, 2002, Johnny Benson gets his only career Cup win at Rockingham.

2 Sweet likes this.
  16. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

I didn't hear the terms "side drafting" or "aero push" even once, although these aerodynamic effects were very much in evidence in the visual images. Maybe the announcers didn't know what they were seeing, or maybe they knew but figured their audience wouldn't so remained silent on the topic. I guess that is what we mean by "the good old days before aerodynamics ruined the sport?"

17. Bobw

Bobw Team Owner

Most bestest finish ever...

18. Old 97

Old 97 Miss Outside

LOL. Not even in the same stratosphere as todays locked down cars.

sdj likes this.
  19. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

I still have this race on VHS, yep one of the bestest finishes of all times, Earnhardt up the middle.

20. be9ak7ts16

be9ak7ts16 Hick

[​IMG]

sdj likes this.
  21. be9ak7ts16

be9ak7ts16 Hick

22. be9ak7ts16

be9ak7ts16 Hick

[​IMG]

kymartin6 and sdj like this.
  23. on this day 12 years ago, Dale Jr wins his 2nd straight fall race at Phoenix

24. Bringing this thread back from the dead for the off-season. Just watched this one the other day. The 93 Winston 500

2 Sweet and Ventisca like this.
  25. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

One of my favorite races........ Jeff Gordon wins the Winston Million

26. be9ak7ts16

be9ak7ts16 Hick

27. 28car

28car Team Owner

old school is our profile pic

28. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Spectator

I watched it all for the first time, Thanks to the Army, I was back in RVN at the time, no TV there.

29. One of NASCAR's biggest brain farts

My favorite part is how Mark handled himself. Not many of today's drivers(including some I root for) could admit they screwed up so royally and take a ribbing from a fellow competitor on television like that.

kymartin6 likes this.

30. Fun race at Michigan. Great battle between Earnhardt and Richmond and pretty good finish as well

31. Ventisca

Ventisca Car Chief Contributor

Old School Family Race Team

https://www.si.com/vault/1985/07/22/620583/bills-driving-em-bananas

"The Elliotts of Dawsonville are silver-haired George, 61, and his three redheaded sons: Ernie, 37, the crew chief and engine builder; Dan, 34, Ernie's assistant and the invisible one; and Bill, 29, the driver and chassis man."
    ===
    "For five years the family stayed mostly with the local short tracks. George broke his son into Grand National racing in 1976 by entering him in eight races, of which Bill finished two. In '77 George bought Roger Penske's race car when Penske shut down his NASCAR team after three years of trying and just one win to show for it. For the next five years the Elliotts stretched the equipment and squeezed the dollars. Their crew consisted of a few Dawsonville boys, and a couple of times their car was a Race Fan Special—a fan could get his name painted on the car for $100."
    ===
    "Richard Petty's been preaching to us all year—scolding us—that if you've got an advantage, you don't show it," says George [Elliott]. "He says you shouldn't run away with it; that's not the way to do it. But that holds only if you're not legal. Feathering the throttle is what you do because you don't want to get tore down by the technical inspectors."

-- Yes, Bill Elliott is my favorite NASCAR driver.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Hotrod and StandOnIt like this.