Penske Changing it Up

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by jaqua19, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner

You Penske Shills oughta get your own uniforms -- maybe toss one to Revman for joining your "team". I'm sure it will go good with his 2019 Champ KyBu Lid... :rolleyes::D

2. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses.

Jeremy Mayfield.

2 Sweet likes this.
  3. SlicedBread22

SlicedBread22 #TeamJL

You're just borderline trolling now. I'm not even sure you take yourself seriously at this point.

CodeMan125, Greg and StandOnIt like this.
  4. Charlie Spencer

I can't be a Penske shill. That would violate the non-compete clause in my contract as a NASCAR shill.

REBS31, Turtle84, Mike Crayne and 3 others like this.
  5. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Sam Hornish's Nascar cup career

REBS31, Turtle84, gnomesayin and 3 others like this.
  6. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Now?

CaptainHiTop and SlicedBread22 like this.
  7. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

I think getting rid of Mayfield was a great move.
    I don't hath much couth, but Mayfeild was just white trash to say the least.

aunty dive likes this.
  8. Charlie Spencer

It's hiring him in the first place that doesn't look so good in retrospect.

2 Sweet likes this.
  9. Greg

I need to do some googling but I pretty sure he inherited Mayfeild.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  10. Greg

During the 2000 season Michael Kranefuss was listed as the owner #12 car driven by Mayfeild.

In 2001 Penske was listed as the owner of the same car. Mayfeild was gone by the end of the season. I think it was the first year Penske had complete control of the 12 car.

I do not know or remember all the details but I think Michael Kranefuss and Penske had a partnership or shared in ownership in 2000, 1999 maybe 1998 etc. Michael Kranefuss fielded the #37 car with Mayfield prior to the deal with # 12 car.

Disclaimer somebody with far more inside information may point out some errors with my recollection or memories. I would definitely take their word over mine but the above is the way I remember things.

Charlie Spencer and 2 Sweet like this.
  11. Charlie Spencer

I sit corrected.

Greg likes this.
  12. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

We're going to have to rip the good behavior ribbon off of your Penske shill suit. You get to keep your Penske fan club button, but that is next unless you straighten up.

13. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

@SlicedBread22 and I have always been good. Haven't joined anything I wasn't already a part of. And.....yeah my lid looks awesome. I've worn it everyday since I got it 10 days after that epic Championship night. Several times, I have slept in it.

Ventisca, SlicedBread22 and jws926 like this.
  14. SlicedBread22

SlicedBread22 #TeamJL

Some people may never understand the concept of respectful competitiveness.

15. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

This. All day brother.

SlicedBread22 likes this.
  16. Charlie Spencer

I think I'm gonna, gonna, UURRPPPPPP
    :bleh:

Ventisca likes this.
  17. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

18. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Greg likes this.
  19. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner

Arranged marriages, three honeymoons --

Penske Reality TV for the Daytona 500! :)

20. SlicedBread22

SlicedBread22 #TeamJL

Paul Wolfe is just another shill :D

Greg, aunty dive and StandOnIt like this.
  21. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner

It comes with the job. :)

22. jaqua19

jaqua19 Team Owner

Give ANYONE what they like at a track and they can be dominant.

The more I've learned, the more I've come to recognize that communication is just as important as talent at the elite talent level.

You can't communicate what your car is doing relative to your driving style? You cant communicate what you need out of the car? You cant use your racing knowledge to change your driving style on the track and communicate where and what you need successfully? All the talent in the world won't be able to shine through.

If you can't adjust and communicate, talent will only take you so far.

Not only is it on the driver to communicate, but it's on the CC to actively listen and understand what the driver is reporting, and to understand the driver's style. The driver CC *relationship* is so important to success. Look at the best driver CC combos in recent years.

Stewart and Zippy
    Johnson and Chad
    Truex and Cole
    Busch and Stevens (?)

It's pretty damn cool

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Turtle84, gnomesayin and StandOnIt like this.
  23. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I forget which big team CC was saying, it might have been Paul Wolf. He said everybody gets the same car but they are all set up a bit differently depending on the driver. He said the same thing the driver and Chief need to be able to understand each other to get the right setup on the car before and during the race. Personally I think the driver that stands out is Larson. He's getting better but you seldom see his car getting better. I noticed that with both Joey and Brad's cars in the playoffs also had the same problems. Other side of the coin, I would say Kyle and secondly Martin are the best at making the car better.

gnomesayin likes this.
  24. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner

I remember the 2011 Stewart-Grubbs conflict that let to a successful Championship run. A tale of two seasons. Stewart throwing the team under the bus, and Grubbs holding the team together. It's hard to argue with success -- I don't credit Stewart or Grubbs above the other.

As for communication -- it appears that sometimes it just doesn't make the car better for the race or better part of a season and sometimes it does. Stewart was the same top level Champion driver and Grubbs a top level Crew Chief both in the "regular" season and during the Chase. Grubbs knew he was not coming back and still helped carry that team to a Championship.

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_...-tony-stewart-sit-together-sprint-cup-banquet

25. Charlie Spencer

I'm not picking on her, but I always thought that was Danica's stumbling block. On the other hand, the more yellows, the more opportunities Jimmie and Chad had to make the car better.

Greg and StandOnIt like this.
  26. Greg

In 2011 and 2012 Brad looked like a driver that would eventually become a great argument as one of the GOATs.

Lagano joined the team in 2013 and has been slightly better overall when it comes to results.

Brad will be a first eligible ballot HoF entry, but I have to believe that he and Penske expected better results and that he would be winning more championships.
    It can be also argued that Paul Wolfe has been slightly outperformed by Todd Gordon during the same time frame.

This move could be a positive thing for Brad and the difference from performing extremely well, and getting back to being the best.

Turtle84 and StandOnIt like this.
  27. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

28. Greg

Stewart & Zippi 2
    Stewart & Grubb 1
    Total = 3

Team Penske likes this.
  29. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

I stand corrected. I think the Grubb one was the best of all.

Greg likes this.