Penske Changing it Up

You Penske Shills oughta get your own uniforms -- maybe toss one to Revman for joining your "team". I'm sure it will go good with his 2019 Champ KyBu Lid... :rolleyes::D

It's hiring him in the first place that doesn't look so good in retrospect.
During the 2000 season Michael Kranefuss was listed as the owner #12 car driven by Mayfeild.

In 2001 Penske was listed as the owner of the same car. Mayfeild was gone by the end of the season. I think it was the first year Penske had complete control of the 12 car.

I do not know or remember all the details but I think Michael Kranefuss and Penske had a partnership or shared in ownership in 2000, 1999 maybe 1998 etc. Michael Kranefuss fielded the #37 car with Mayfield prior to the deal with # 12 car.

Disclaimer somebody with far more inside information may point out some errors with my recollection or memories. I would definitely take their word over mine but the above is the way I remember things.

maybe toss one to Revman for joining your "team". I'm sure it will go good with his 2019 Champ KyBu Lid... :rolleyes::D

@SlicedBread22 and I have always been good. Haven't joined anything I wasn't already a part of. And.....yeah my lid looks awesome. I've worn it everyday since I got it 10 days after that epic Championship night. Several times, I have slept in it.

@SlicedBread22 and I have always been good. Haven't joined anything I wasn't already a part of. And.....yeah my lid looks awesome. I've worn it everyday since I got it 10 days after that epic Championship night. Several times, I have slept in it.
Some people may never understand the concept of respectful competitiveness.

Arranged marriages, three honeymoons --

Penske Reality TV for the Daytona 500! :)

I think Brad is now on par with Kurt in that his ideas and input are still pretty valuable. If they want to try something different under race conditions, Brad is the driver and his CC was a fast thinker as well.
Give Joey what he wants at a track he likes and he matches Harvick, Truex, and Kyle.
Bullin and Brad are what built the Xfinity series teams and I think that is what Penske is looking for not only 2020 BUT the next generation.
Give ANYONE what they like at a track and they can be dominant.

The more I've learned, the more I've come to recognize that communication is just as important as talent at the elite talent level.

You can't communicate what your car is doing relative to your driving style? You cant communicate what you need out of the car? You cant use your racing knowledge to change your driving style on the track and communicate where and what you need successfully? All the talent in the world won't be able to shine through.

If you can't adjust and communicate, talent will only take you so far.

Not only is it on the driver to communicate, but it's on the CC to actively listen and understand what the driver is reporting, and to understand the driver's style. The driver CC *relationship* is so important to success. Look at the best driver CC combos in recent years.

Stewart and Zippy
Johnson and Chad
Truex and Cole
Busch and Stevens (?)

It's pretty damn cool

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I forget which big team CC was saying, it might have been Paul Wolf. He said everybody gets the same car but they are all set up a bit differently depending on the driver. He said the same thing the driver and Chief need to be able to understand each other to get the right setup on the car before and during the race. Personally I think the driver that stands out is Larson. He's getting better but you seldom see his car getting better. I noticed that with both Joey and Brad's cars in the playoffs also had the same problems. Other side of the coin, I would say Kyle and secondly Martin are the best at making the car better.

I remember the 2011 Stewart-Grubbs conflict that let to a successful Championship run. A tale of two seasons. Stewart throwing the team under the bus, and Grubbs holding the team together. It's hard to argue with success -- I don't credit Stewart or Grubbs above the other.

As for communication -- it appears that sometimes it just doesn't make the car better for the race or better part of a season and sometimes it does. Stewart was the same top level Champion driver and Grubbs a top level Crew Chief both in the "regular" season and during the Chase. Grubbs knew he was not coming back and still helped carry that team to a Championship.

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_...-tony-stewart-sit-together-sprint-cup-banquet

You can't communicate what your car is doing relative to your driving style? You cant communicate what you need out of the car? You cant use your racing knowledge to change your driving style on the track and communicate where and what you need successfully? All the talent in the world won't be able to shine through.
I'm not picking on her, but I always thought that was Danica's stumbling block. On the other hand, the more yellows, the more opportunities Jimmie and Chad had to make the car better.

In 2011 and 2012 Brad looked like a driver that would eventually become a great argument as one of the GOATs.

Lagano joined the team in 2013 and has been slightly better overall when it comes to results.

Brad will be a first eligible ballot HoF entry, but I have to believe that he and Penske expected better results and that he would be winning more championships.
It can be also argued that Paul Wolfe has been slightly outperformed by Todd Gordon during the same time frame.

This move could be a positive thing for Brad and the difference from performing extremely well, and getting back to being the best.

It's taken this long for Rajah's PR flack to edit some allowable commentary.

The whole outfit's been in chaos since Ventisca went off the reservation.

So who do we think is going to be the best driver/crew chief pairing out of the three swapped up Penske crews?

J-Lo and W

This wife-swap should be entertaining for at least the first few races.

From the way Kez has been using the big D word about the split, and throw in the part where he is being questioned about losing a half a second a lap. Throw in a bit of gerbilizing Burton, and add in a bit of Dr. Phil and I come up with he and Wolfe weren't getting along and they both had their fingers pointing at the other about their lackluster performance this last year.

Kez says it's the car, I would bet Wolfe is saying his driver is laying down. Captain in the mean time snuck off and bought the IMS and BTW throw in the cars also.

Back
Top Bottom