Picked up a "new" truck today!

This guy was on you tube two parts it was so long. Two day job. Had to undo the whole front suspension, brake on one side to get to it, pull the axle, brace the motor, have a engine puller hoist, straps etc, had to take a bunch off (plastic parts) from above. It was a job

Another update!

A lot has changed over the past year. I no longer have a house or a wife (divorce) but I still have the truck, plus another one!

IMG-16112020-220558-1200-x-900-pixel.jpg

I picked up this '85 GMC last fall.....

20210321-145847.jpg

20210321-145600.jpg

It's a half ton shortbed 4x4 with 3/4 ton axles. Carbureted 350 with a 4-speed manual, the same trans I have in the gold pickup. With the way prices keep going up on these squarebody pickups, I figured it was now or never! I found this one locally for a reasonable price and I loved everything about it, so I pulled the trigger.

I also started a new job last fall with a company provided car (a 2018 Focus....total POS but it's free) so the two trucks don't see a lot of use. The black one sits in my apartment garage and is driven on nice weekends, and the gold one gets driven a few times a month, usually when I need to make use of the 8' bed for whatever reason.

20210131-004137.jpg

^ Clearly that pic is from a few months back, but it's still going strong! I put a new battery in it over the winter, and a new starter last week. Just recently hit 97k miles.

The '85 started giving me intermittent charging issues. At first I just thought the volt gauge might be faulty, but my multimeter proved otherwise. So I replaced the alternator....

20210320-191116-HDR.jpg

Worked well for a few days then suddenly stopped charging, but was still getting sufficient power to the plug. I took it back and got another new alternator, and it still wouldn't charge. At that point I figured the problem might be the plug itself. I took a closer look, and it looked like hell.....

20210418-110725.jpg

So I got a new plug and spliced it in, but it didn't change a damn thing.

Long story short, the new alternator was bad AGAIN. So I got a new alternator for a third time, this time from NAPA, and now all is well. Don't buy alternators from Advance! Lesson learned.

The Transmission Fluid needed for the 1989 Chevrolet K1500 with a manual transmission is Synthetic Synchromesh transmission fluid (5W-30) (MTFQT). If the transmission you have is the MG5 5-speed, the capacity is 4.2 pints. If the transmission is the SM465/M20, the capacity is 8.5 pints.

Back
Top Bottom